The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jason Garrison

Lefty who plays on the right I believe. He did get help from Campbell to inflate his numbers but he will be getting that and more from the Sedins. Slight overpayment but we needed him and we'll be presently surprised how solid this guy is.

Now all we need is Lu for Bjugstad + Theodore + pick and I'll be a happy man.

I don't know why people are complaining about his point totals... This year he was 5th in team scoring with 33 points and the top player had 61 points... the previous year, he was first full NHL season and earned himself the right to play the most minutes on the team... That season, he was 9th in team scoring with 18 points (8 less than Dimitri Kulikov). And the top scorer had only 49 points... Also, he played against the top opposition every night and had a high Corsi rating...

I really don't think that his numbers are truly justified by what you see... 21+ minutes on one of the top offensive teams vs 23+ on one of the lowest scoring teams will make a huge difference... I doubt he will tank here...

Too much IMO. Hamhuis got 4.5M for 5 years, Bieksa got 4.6M for 5 years, and now Garrison, who has 1 good season in Florida, gets 4.6M for 6 years. I know it's due to cap inflation, but committing 27.6M to a guy who's 27 and only played 190 NHL games (his first full season was 2010.11). He plays a good game, but didn't Keith Ballard did as well during his tenure in Florida?

The lack of supply and abundance of demand drove his price up dramatically. My fear is, if Garrison costs 4.6M for 6 years to sign (rumour has it that he priced at 6.5M per year!), how much will Edler cost next summer? How much will Weber cost?

Too much IMO. Hamhuis got 4.5M for 5 years, Bieksa got 4.6M for 5 years, and now Garrison, who has 1 good season in Florida, gets 4.6M for 6 years. I know it's due to cap inflation, but committing 27.6M to a guy who's 27 and only played 190 NHL games (his first full season was 2010.11). He plays a good game, but didn't Keith Ballard did as well during his tenure in Florida?

The lack of supply and abundance of demand drove his price up dramatically. My fear is, if Garrison costs 4.6M for 6 years to sign (rumour has it that he priced at 6.5M per year!), how much will Edler cost next summer? How much will Weber cost?

I have a feeling this guy has more to show us, he`s only played 2 full seasons in the NHL. Also looking at most of his goals from last year on youtube, I realized most came off of him playing the right point, which is the same position he would play for us with Edler so I have a feeling his 16 goals weren`t a fluke.

Nice deal MG.

Garrison reminds me of a younger Sami Salo and frankly he comes in as Salo's replacement. Garrison's defensive game is his best asset and his blast from the point (just like Salo) makes him a lethal threat. I'm excited what Garrison can do with Edler on the back end as this finds Edler a consistent partner and someone he can build some long term chemistry with.

Now time to sign that 2nd line winger...

This sure feels like a crapshoot... it could end up great or it could be a complete disaster.

I just hope Vancouver scouted the crap out of him before committing to him. It isn't so much the money but the role Vancouver needs him to slide into. Salo was a rock solid defender who tended to calm the other guys down. Hamhuis is the only top 4 guy I would count on to be unshakable right now.

Nice deal MG.

Garrison reminds me of a younger Sami Salo and frankly he comes in as Salo's replacement. Garrison's defensive game is his best asset and his blast from the point (just like Salo) makes him a lethal threat. I'm excited what Garrison can do with Edler on the back end as this finds Edler a consistent partner and someone he can build some long term chemistry with.

Now time to sign that 2nd line winger...

I knoe its early but if the Cancks dont get a 2nd line winger, does this mean the team expect Schroeder to shift to the wing when Keslergets back or Jensen/Kassian will be given a chance to compete for a top 6 spot? Or god forebid Raymond back as a 2nd line winger.

I think Schroeder was tried on the wing in the AHL but couldn't adjust and accordingly played poorly. This past season they put him back on centre and he played much better; Schroeder scored more points and is rounding out his game by improving his defence.

Archived