The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jason Garrison

Sure hope Canucks fans don't expect Garrison to be something he isn't. He's had half of an offensively productive NHL season.

Canucks still need to put him in a situation where he can thrive. That's yet to be seen, and it's still up in the air as to whether Garrison can be a guy who can score more than 5 or 6 goals a year.

And no, he isn't a poor man's Shea Weber. Shea Weber is a game-changer who skates faster, hits harder, shoots harder, scores more, and is better defensively.

I expect Garrison to be much like some of our other dmen. Decent offensively, solid defensively, fairly physical. Can do a little bit of everything.

Anything more than that would be a welcome surprise.

The more I read up about Garrison the more I like this signing.

Earlier yesterday I thought the money figures were because teams figured because of 1 good year offensively that that's what he 'was'. It seems as if he is a very polished 2-way defender who just happens to have some solid offensive upside. Didn't know enough about him to know he played a solid defensive and rugged game.

Looking forward to seeing him in a Canucks Uni!

I'm looking forward to seeing him play with us and I think a paring with Edler will be a plus......but according to Blackhawk fans, "soupy" was the reason for Garrison's successful season and he'll be a big flop here in Vancouver :rolleyes: and of course playing with the Sedins won't help him at all :rolleyes:

I hope people realize that he's actually a shutdown d-man with a hard shot.

Although Edler-Garrison would probably be great, I wanna see Ballard-Garrison; Ballard is a great mobile defenseman that passes before he shoot while Garrison is a shutdown guy who can cover up for Ballard.

Who knows maybe Ballard and Garrison might make up another Mitchell and Bieksa pairing.

All I can say is I am VERY glad we locked him up.

If he had have waited until after the Suter sweepstakes he could have gone for $6.5 million per year. There are teams like Detroit who, if they don't get Suter, are totally screwed for defence next year.

That is also why Tampa Bay was willing to lock up Salo, look at who else they have under contract... especially if Ohlund can never play again.

I think Ballard gets us a decent return in a couple of weeks if we wanted to move him. As much as people give him grief, he would be an upgrade for many teams.

Calgary is also going to make out like a bandit for Bouwmeester if they trade him as expected.

We know Tanev can partner very well with either Edler or Ballard so those will probably be tried, but I think they want Garrison to play tougher minutes (2nd pairing) while protecting Tanev a little bit, so it will depend on how those pairings handle their assignments. The best thing about the Garrison signing is that he is used to playing the toughest minutes against the likes of Ovechkin, Malkin, Parise, etc, but on the Canucks, he doesn't have to, so he will have easier assignments and might be able to do a little more offensively. Plus, he can slot into the top shutdown pairing if Hammer ever gets hurt again.

Some people are worried about the price but look at what's becoming of the salary cap and look what solid defensive dmen are signing for. We got Garrison for six years. I'm sure the next CBA will tone it down a little bit but this will be a bargain contract before you know it.

Archived