The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jason Garrison

Seems like a bit of an overpayment to me...but actually I'm ok with overpaying in this case. Compared to some other ridiculous signings by other teams, and the fact that Garrison turned down larger offers to play with Canucks, it doesn't seem as bad. With Salo leaving, we needed a Top 6 defenseman badly, and I'm glad MG was able to pull this off. If we didn't get it done, someone else would have. That's free agency after all.

Lol. Say what you want about him, but he was a pretty good depth defenseman that AV just happened to have a love affair with.

Imagine if we could convince Carle to buy into our cap system and sign for around 4.5....

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Ballard Carle

*Drool*

I know there's the whole cap issue, but defence wins championships, and that D is stacked. We could always acquire a young elite player on an ELC, or a cheap veteran player for the top 6.

Worse comes to worst, having Higgins-Kesler-Booth as the second line isn't so bad if we could have that D-core.

Yup. Early in the season Garrison was a poolie's wet dream. Then reality sunk in and teams started playing Florida a bit harder.

Let there be no mistake: $4.6mil IS an overpayment. But on July 1st, everything is. Still manageable for the 3rd-best defender available.

TOML

I work 9 hours a day, full time school, go out. I Still know about him, watching tv isn't difficult, at least not for me.

He was leading the league in goals by a d-men for a long portion of the season, he was talked about a lot on sportscenter and other highlight shows.

Not to mention in the playoffs when TSN kept calling him the key to the Panther Powerplay.

Good read: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=636919

Garrison is confident he'll get that chance with a Canucks team that has won the last two Presidents' Trophies as the NHL's top regular-season team. In addition to talking with Raymond about locker-room dynamics, he has gotten to know a handful of other Canucks veterans at pick-up skates around Vancouver over the last couple of summers. And Garrison had a front-row seat for the run to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final two summers ago.

"I live downtown, so I was right in the heart of that whole experience," he said, "and I'm not going to lie. I was extremely jealous – I think that is the polite way to put it – and now I'm just looking forward to being in that position with them next time."

Archived