The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Raymond Re Define Himself?

Angry Goose

I would be happy to see him get that opportunity as long as it isn't here.

And I still completely don't forgive him for falling down on that wrap around in OT, if he could have stayed on his feet a few seconds longer he would have tucked it in and the series would have been prolonged. Oh well.

Raymond you frustrate me to no end...

As a person, I don't know how you can hate him. just seems like such a nice guy. His play on the other hand is frustrating to watch. I'm willing to give him another shot on the 3rd line though, if he still can't provide offence or at the least keep his balance, ship him off for a pick.

I know, that along with the turnover in game 4 to Kopitar (when he walked in and sniped) were really the last straws for me.

After That turnover/goal I was like "Okay I'm not giving you anymore chances with me you better be gone in the offseason"

and then when he missed the open net I was like "Why is he still here!!!??" lol.

He didn't do too well this past season, often looking more like an AHL player totally out of their depth.

But, maybe we are not giving him sufficient praise for returning so soon from a horrendous back injury that could have ended his career. It could be that he was not physicaly capable of conditioning himself properly for the 2011-2012 season, in which case the Canucks should have delayed his return indefinitely until he was capable of performing at his best.

The only way forward for this guy is to add 30lbs of muscle and learn how to tough it out in the scrums, otherwise his ability to function in the NHL is going to be extremely limited.

Somewhere else, maybe, but not here. He has so many aspects of his game that he needs to work on. His shot, needs more power and accuracy. Needs to get stronger on the forecheck and on his skates. Needs better vision of when to shoot, when to pass, and how to use his speed to his strength.

The only thing that's going for him is his speed and his defensive play. That's about it.

The heck is wrong with you guys? You may or may not like Raymond as a player, but to hate him? Take it easy, haha.

I also agree that Raymond's game isn't what this team needs. His speed and backchecking are top-tier, but this team needs to add players who are bigger, and more willing to crash and bang and go to the dirty areas. The last two years of playoffs have proven that the game is moving back towards the big physical game. Bruins and Kings are both big, strong teams that play a strong team game, and strong team defense with stellar defense.

I do not think you can teach vision, that is something MayRay does not have. I am not a mayray fan personally because i have watched him be the same player for the past while. I think some of the hate is due to AV tho, because he puts players in the dog house for their performance but leaves mayray on the 2nd line no matter what, it is a bad msg to the team and must be confusing.

I think mayray if he wants to stay in the nhl needs to get stronger and develop his defensive game. He is effective on the pk and would be better suited for the bottom 6. However for the Canucks I would take Higgins on the 3rd line over him every time and a more physical force on the 4th line. I just do not see where he fits on the left wing on the nucks anymore.

Columbus%252BBlue%252BJackets%252Bv%252BVancouver%252BCanucks%252BUCPdTGCncI2l.jpg

Part of me hopes Raymond makes a serious effort on working on his passing game. Chances are he is going to be in a Canucks uniform next year, and after a very tough season he knows he needs to contribute or his ass is gas. As a play maker he could be a much better all around player. Doesn't have to be Sedin-esque fancy but just a solid passer- always looking to distribute the puck.

He defines himself as points type player, so I see a real chance here for him to develop this part of his game. He could really have a turn around season if this part of his game improved significantly next season. And we all know the 2nd line needs that type of player.

They say you can't teach an old goose new tricks. But Raymond is not an old goose, and he in a lot of ways he is still a young developing goose. I think he has tried the "north south" route and we all know how that ends up- with him on his butt. Ideally I would like to see Raymond develop into a versatile type player, passer/scorer/defender. He doesn't need to be phenomenal in any category, just solid in all. Sort of like Higgins but with less grit and more top end skill.

Here's hoping anyways. Could be the feel good story of the year next year.

Yes that's the one, and me too like what the *%&$ was he doing, if he even tried to hit Kopitar he would just get destroyed.

But for me the final icing on that cake was him missing that, I was so pissed at him, I blamed him for the lose and didn't realize how Hamhuis was trying to be Bobby Orr on the GWG, and I also was mad at AV for putting him out instead of Booth, Booth would have scored there.

If he is back next year I will be so pissed off.

I think Raymond will be given at least one more chance on the Canucks, but he will be on a very short leash.

The most frustrating thing about Raymond is watching smaller guys be more physical and take the puck to the next more than he does. Guys like Stephen Gionta come to mind.

Archived