The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo not going anywhere

Clearly Gillis is playing hardball on the Luongo trade. He wants to play Toronto against Florida or any other team that needs a goalie and get the highest return. Burkie needs a top goalie to save his job...and Florida is improving but need a top goalie too. One of them will pay up.

Luongo is good as gone...no way he comes back in this market. He's done here.

Luongo's endeared himself to me.

It's not his fault that we have a GM who couldn't see an issue like this coming, from miles, and miles away. The fact is that Schneider should have been traded 2 or 3 years ago, not long after we had made the monster commitment to Luongo.

The fact that trading one of the better goalies in the league, who will provide stability to a franchise for the next decade, has resorted to little more than a cap dump, should tell you all that you need to know about how Gillis has handled this.

Gillis, now, has a very high asking price for Luongo, which he should, but he's not going to find someone that's willing to pay it! We're going to lose this deal, when it happens, very badly, just like we very badly lost the Ballard deal, and like we very badly lost the Booth deal (if it's not blatantly obvious to everyone just yet, it will over the next couple of years).

Mike Gillis should be EMBARRASSED at how this has played out.

Actually it's under 10m.  9.3.  And our backup is most likely going to cost more than 1m as it's going to be an established player.  And we still have cap space.  Clearly making a trade would be the best, but only if we're getting proper value in return.

The thing is though, why we gotta trade Luongo? I mean Schneider is still relatively unproven. He simply does not have enough games under his belt plain and simple. So we keep Luongo while Schneider starts a few more games. If he falters at least we have Luongo to bail us out. I would rather have a Luongo/Schneider tandem than a Schneider/Lack tandem any day. The difference between Luongo and Schnieder is that so for Luongo has been there and done that while Schneider hasn't and that is an intangible that can't be compared on a stats sheet. For a 63 gamer Luongo provides balance. We trade Luongo and we may have a Toronto goalie situation on our hands. This option is a lot better than taking a low ball offer just for the sake of making a trade.

Not sure what will happen at this point. Hope whatever happens works out for us.

Lu is the guy I would go with and that's my opinion. He like every player have bad games (so will Schneider), the problem is this is a team game and they all have to help each other out.

All the people calling for his head, need to give their head a shake. He alone is not the reason we did not win the cup. Stop using him as the scapegoat.

For those of you who say they play different in front of both goalies, your right. In front of Lu the play more open and in front of Schneider they play tighter. Which is better is up for you to decide. Argue all you want, watch the games.

lol there is alot of absolute delusional opinion in this thread.

amazing to me how many people just know Lu is being traded yet are flabbergasted that it hasnt gone down yet and are making all sorts of claims like the reason is because nobody wants to take on the contract.. incredible. unless some of you are related to the canucks management team or have some real tangible insight or information into the hockey world, as usual, its nothing but conjecture, speculation and opinion.. saying lu's time is done here "just because" is borderline retarded..

if he goes he goes, but if not why would people be surprised?

honestly this board is some kind of stupid sometimes! i know its offseason ad everyone is interested to see how things pan out but holy $hit..

anyway, i still want lu on our team.. if he does get traded its sad mostly because of the way he'll have left, by fans and the media unceremoniously pushing him out the door.. we all know deep down that Lu deserves much better than that after all he's done for our city on and off the ice.quite frankly, the fans of this city dont deserve a cup.

I think what a large group of people are failing to see (or admit to seeing), is the fact that Scheiderman is still realitively unproven.

Yes, he has played well when given the chance, however, he hasn't had to deal the with all the pressures that come with being the number one guy over the course of the season; the highs and lows of a 82 game regular season plus playoffs, as well as the inevitable issues that do and will arise off ice. This is just reality.

Trading away Luongo this early (if at all this season) could be costly when we don't truly know what we are getting with Schneider in a full role; trading away Luo at this point would be trading away the greatest goaltending contingency plan this (or any other team for that matter) has ever seen.

It appears to be far too soon to throw all of the eggs in one basket.

I think what a large group of people are failing to see (or admit to seeing), is the fact that Scheiderman is still realitively unproven.

Yes, he has played well when given the chance, however, he hasn't had to deal the with all the pressures that come with being the number one guy over the course of the season; the highs and lows of a 82 game regular season plus playoffs, as well as the inevitable issues that do and will arise off ice. This is just reality.

Trading away Luongo this early (if at all this season) could be costly when we don't truly know what we are getting with Schneider in a full role; trading away Luo at this point would be trading away the greatest goaltending contingency plan this (or any other team for that matter) has ever seen.

I dont get why people keep bringing up the 'unproven' argument with CS, he's a proven AHL Star, he is living up to the potential the Canucks thought he had when they drafted him. He has proven everything he needs to prove in the 60+ games he has played.

Every Star player in the history of sports has started off 'unproven'... MJ was unproven at one point of his career, Roy, Gretzky, Broduer the list goes on and on.

I think its just more like Luongo fans cant get over the fact that their idol is getting traded because he got beaten by the younger and better goaltender.

Luongo is done here, these so called fans cant see the big picture, CS gives us stability in net for years to come, while in 5-6 years, Luongo would be 39 with a cap hit of 5m...

There have been many good points in this thread...(rare)

first off, now Lous contract doesnt look that bad. For a perennial vezina candidate and Olympic gold medalist.

Second: Lous value get higher the further this lasts. Watch when a team starts tanking and goes through three goalies. Thats when teams get desparate, dont hold your breath haters, i dont see a move till November at the earliest

...Schneider, as good as he is, does need to prove himself over more games in a season. That said, we can get a very good backup, with experience, who can post the same type of numbers Lou did, by playing for an elite team, at a price millions below Lou and his 5.3m

Archived