176 replies to this topic

#31 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,179 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

So many fans will look rediculous if Luongo doesn't get traded. BunBun aka spiderman was trying to make e-bets. Merci had rediculed the slight mention of it. I can't wait to dredge up old posts if Lu sticks around. People really need to consider all options a little better. Trading luongo for a bag o pucks simply won't happen. No matter how much you want lu gone.

5.333 million sitting on the bench will be eating at Gillis's mind by the start of the season, bank on it.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Special thanks to Guava & Egatti !

#32 Nuckswillwinitall

Nuckswillwinitall

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

I thought Luongo said he'd waive his no trade if Gillis felt it made the team better? Well if he only wants to go to Florida well thats like handcuffing the team. Thats the complete opposite of waiving to make team better

#33 Nuckswillwinitall

Nuckswillwinitall

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

To be honest the Canucks will trade him or bury him in the minors, he wont be on the team for preseason

#34 Nicklasjensen46

Nicklasjensen46

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

luo is gone. thread over lol.

My 2012 Canucks
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hodgson
Sturm Malhotra Hansen
Sammuelson Lapiere Oreskovich

Hamhuis Bieska
Edler Salo
Tanev Ballard
Luongo Schnieder

#35 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

will be a shock when the move goes down..

a coin toss

#36 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Feed him to the wolves.

#37 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

I think the chances of a deal getting done are increasing incrementally every day.
As UFAdom creeps along and less and less players remain available, teams have more idea what their rosters will look like and what needs remain, with trades being the only way to change/improve them...
Not only that, but no Brodeur, no one else on the market... a little incentive to beat the other team to the punch.

#38 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,821 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

Yeah, okay there, Gillis.
Posted Image

#39 nuckles88

nuckles88

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

I know I wouldnt be disappointed having Luongo and Schneider on our team again next year, cant go wrong having two number 1 goalies. Maybe just split their games 60/40 then Schneids starts the playoffs :)

If we are going to trade Lui, it better not be for nothing thats for sure.
Luongo for Nash would be ideal but if Lu has his heart set on Florida maybe Luongo for Theodore+Matthias could work
In Loving Memory of Luc Bourdon, Rick Rypien, Pavol Demitra and all the others lost in the hockey world :'(

#40 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

I thought Luongo said he'd waive his no trade if Gillis felt it made the team better? Well if he only wants to go to Florida well thats like handcuffing the team. Thats the complete opposite of waiving to make team better

Too bad for Mike Gillis! Maybe he should've thought twice about handing out that NTC then, hmm?

I applaud Luongo for using the NTC to his advantage. If he only wants to go to FLA, more power to him. This should have been dealt with 2 or 3 years ago. Lou didn't sign that deal to get traded 2 years later. If Mike Gillis would've just traded Schneider in 2009, or 2010, or 2011, etc., we wouldn't have this awkward and powerless situation to deal with.

Seriously, why isn't more being discussed of this? Mike Gillis has really, really made a serious error here.

#41 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

The only thing that should be up for debate is whether or not Luongo will be in net or sitting on the bench come October 11th. Luongo's time as the Canucks' undisputed no. 1 may be over, but his time in Vancouver isn't. Guarantee that (baring injuries) Schneider and Luongo will be playing next season in tandem as CDC continues to complain how a 3rd consecutive president trophy just isn't good enough and the media speculates about a feud between the Canucks' goaltenders that doesn't exist and how neither is happy and wants out unless the other is traded.

Luongo isn't going anywhere. Get over it.

#42 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

I don't think it really matters because either he gets traded and the canucks get some solid assets or he stays and the canucks have the best goalie tandem in the league

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3pz2xj/

#43 canucklesmith

canucklesmith

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

This is one of the most self righteous threads ever posted. congrats.

PS. Luongo is still getting traded, get over it.

#44 ErnieVan

ErnieVan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

There is no way that Luo can start the season in Vancouver. Think of the media circus that will take place in the dressing room if he is still here. He has conducted himself like a pro and should be dealt.
Yes he'll be traded before the start of training camp. I expect in the next few weeks teams will have a handle on what they have and what they need and a deal will get done.

#45 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

I recall many (including users of CDC) claiming that Luongo will "for sure be going to Toronto by July 1st," additionally claiming to have "inside sources" in an attempt at bring respectability to their statements.

With July 1 coming and going, I thought I would post so that we may all embrace and rejoice in the fact that many have destroyed their credibility, and thusly, we may never again have to pay attention to their ficticious and attention seeking ways.

Furthermore, with all the UFA signing in the recent days it appears that the Luongo trade that so many have predicted will not in fact come to reality. With Garrison recently signing, the potential for a Luongo deal or salary dump to Florida has come and gone, leaving a depleted FA pool and weaker trading block.

So now as it appears that Luongo is here to stay a while longer (my guess until at least December, maybe longer), how do the rest of you feel about this potential, are you willing to still support him, or are we going to continue trying to run one of the best goaltenders in the world out of city? :bigblush:

PS The fact that this may be the 1000000000000000000000 Luongo thread has not escaped me! :shock:

one word

DENIAL

Go cry to momma...lol...your boo boo is being traded.

#46 brooker

brooker

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Maybe we can trade him to the wild for Suter and Parise?

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA! I will deal with the trade when it comes for now it's time to pull out the surfboard.

#47 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,393 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Feed him to the wolves.

Someone made a thread about it some days ago, lol.
Posted Image

#48 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,424 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

To quote Sean Connery in The Untouchables:

"Take it easy! It will all happen in time. Don't wait for it to happen. Don't want it to happen. Just watch what does happen."
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#49 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

I recall many (including users of CDC) claiming that Luongo will "for sure be going to Toronto by July 1st," additionally claiming to have "inside sources" in an attempt at bring respectability to their statements.

With July 1 coming and going, I thought I would post so that we may all embrace and rejoice in the fact that many have destroyed their credibility, and thusly, we may never again have to pay attention to their ficticious and attention seeking ways.

Furthermore, with all the UFA signing in the recent days it appears that the Luongo trade that so many have predicted will not in fact come to reality. With Garrison recently signing, the potential for a Luongo deal or salary dump to Florida has come and gone, leaving a depleted FA pool and weaker trading block.

So now as it appears that Luongo is here to stay a while longer (my guess until at least December, maybe longer), how do the rest of you feel about this potential, are you willing to still support him, or are we going to continue trying to run one of the best goaltenders in the world out of city?

For the record, I am a Luongo supporter. Also for the record, just because Luongo hasn't been traded by July 1 certainly doesn't mean that he will still be here "to stay". :)

I think the Canucks will benefit greatly from trading Luongo in the likely acquisition of a roster player, a pick and a prospect (or some mix of the three). The Canucks will also benefit from no longer having Luongo's decent cap hit on the books for the long term, even if they have to take some cap hit back for the short term (Luongo's contract and cap hit is good. The duration means that rather than loading the team with a higher cap hit, it is lower which aids in gaining free agents. See Rinne's contract for what the Canucks could have been facing in a cap hit).

I noted a number of windows of opportunity for a Luongo trade. The first was at the draft. If Gillis wanted above all else a number one pick for this year then Luongo would be moved at this time. The second was prior to July 1, where Gillis could (if he wanted) include negotiation rights for various free agents in addition to other assests. The third window was after July 1, where Gillis could assess what he had been able to pick up in the way of free agents and from there start to negotiate for assests to fill remaining team needs. The third window is open until September (the start of training camp).

The fourth window opens when rival GM's get to assess how their non-Luongo choices are looking at camp. This is where they will really start to get nervous, and they will continue to profess that they don't need Luongo, at any price. This window is open through to X-Mas.

At X-Mas, teams that are starting to drop off the pace realize that they can still save their season by trading for Luongo. This fifth window is open until the trade deadline. At the trade deadline, teams which are likely in but feel they could do with an upgrade in goal to make the push to the Cup will come calling.

Should Luongo not be traded by this time, merely rinse and repeat for next year.

Otherwise. just curious about how you figure any potential Luongo deal has come and gone? The Canucks picked a very good d-man. All this means is that Gillis addressed one of the team's needs. There is still the need for improvement at top-6 right winger, they could use a younger, bigger and fairly proficient scoring center for the third line, maybe there could be upgrades in the bottom-6, and even though they got Garrison the Canucks could proably benefit from getting a big, stay at home d-man (either as a veteran or perhaps a good prospect).

Oh, and the team also has to figure out who is going to back-up Schneider. :P

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 04 July 2012 - 07:57 PM.

Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#50 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

With so much offensive firepower in the division now, I don't think we can afford to trade Luongo. If Schneider falters or gets hurt we will be hard-pressed to even make the playoffs. It's too big of a risk unless we get an absolute windfall in return.

Yes, what if Schneider gets hurt? Well, if Luongo is still here then he would go into the net. And what if Luongo gets hurt? I guess they would bring up Lack. And what if Lack gets hurt? Then there's Cannata. And if Cannata gets hurt, there's Climie, and if he gets hurt there's always Marty Turco.

IMHO this "what if" card is over played in this discussion. Lots of teams go through an entire season without their number one goalie being injured. Further, if the Canucks did trade one of their two very good goalies, it doesn't increase the chances that the remaining guy will beome any more vulnerable to injury.

There's a very good chance that the Canucks will get a goalie back in any Luongo trade. This will partly be a cap/contract dump by the other team. Depending upon the team will determine who comes back. If Florida were the team to which Luongo might get traded then Tallon will likely ask Theodore to waive his NTC to go to Vancouver.

regards,
G.

#51 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

I highly doubt that this team is going into the new season with 13% of its cap space allocated solely in the crease. This percentage will also likely be higher if/when the cap goes down under a new CBA, as is expected. It makes no sense for a team to carry two goaltenders being paid starter money.

Cap aside, I strongly also believe that having both Luongo and Schneider at training camp as well as into the season is not a situation that Gillis envisions as ideal by any stretch.

Agree with your points. Just wanted to point out that Nashville has just under 12% of their total cap tied up in goal. Rinne's deal is BIG!!!

regards,
G.

#52 spacekadet

spacekadet

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

I think it will happen now that parise, suter, and Marty signed. I feel that now that their off the market teams can stop dreaming and start filing in holes in their team. I still think Florida would love to get luo but their is no one their except bottom six their and I think luo would waive his Ntc for other teams then Florida too. He wants to be number one and he knows by staying here he deff won't get that

#53 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Florida Panthers. If anyone disagree I'll bet them $100 Paypal or EMT or whatever.
There's no chance he's going to Toronto and about a 2% chance another team trades for him unless its mid season and a team's goaltending issues are visibily apparent.

Hi. I am not a gambling man but I do believe that Lui will go to the Panthers. It makes sense to me. Florida doesn't need him to survive but they do need him if they really want to make a few cup runs. I am certain the owners would love that as well as the fans who just saw playoffs for the first time since Pavel was there.

I am very curious about the Leafs. At the face of it I was confused as to why on earth would Luongo waive to go to Toronto of all places. Turns out I don't think he ever did.
Posted Image

#54 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

$6,716,000 is an awful lot to be paying a backup goalie if things do work out this way.

It wouldn't be considered an ideal situation.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#55 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,946 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Almost $10 million is too much money invested in a position where only one of the two plays each night. It'll cap strap us in other ways and we don't want that.

Plus, he and Schneider are both #1 goalies and they don't deserve to have to be a part of this dance where either/or don't get to play consistently.

It's just a matter of time. This is a huge asset for the organization and we can't give him away for nothing in return. Sadly the two-elite goalie system can't work in the cap era
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#56 TyrEnkidu

TyrEnkidu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

I highly doubt that this team is going into the new season with 13% of its cap space allocated solely in the crease. This percentage will also likely be higher if/when the cap goes down under a new CBA, as is expected. It makes no sense for a team to carry two goaltenders being paid starter money.

Cap aside, I strongly also believe that having both Luongo and Schneider at training camp as well as into the season is not a situation that Gillis envisions as ideal by any stretch.

**Shakes head** .....Its the opposite...the cap is Expected to GO UP ..pay attention to the sports channels
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#57 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

What's all this cap going down thing?? Any source.. :sick:

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#58 TyrEnkidu

TyrEnkidu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

What's all this cap going down thing?? Any source.. :sick:

Yeah I pointed out that everyone is Predicting it going UP at least 5 Million maybe more... TSN, CBC, ESPN, SPORTSNET,THN,NHL.com, and a few that I am sure to have forgotten....all say Up...ONE person on CDC say down.....I think in this case it is better the be with the majority over just One !!!
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#59 kamloopsblazers22

kamloopsblazers22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

even if louongo is might be gone. There is barley not much on FA i think right now ... if anyone can light me up? perry? nash? i dont know.

#60 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

Luongo's getting traded. Its only a matter of when.

1/4 of the way through the season when some team figures out that thier goal tending sucks and they had better do something before the season is lost kinda thing would be my bet.
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.