The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo on the fox

beer&meat

In case you haven't noticed, Gillis has no leverage as it is. That's why no team is offering him anything significant.

Tallon already knows Luongo wants to go to Florida. Everyone and their dog already knows this.

What he said in this interview is basically that he would prefer to go to Florida, but if the price isn't right he'd be willing to go to pretty much any market that gives him a chance to win. And he publicly stated that he won't be playing out the full length of his contract, which was the biggest thing scaring most teams away.

To me, this basically is a statement to every GM, to start the bidding.

I am very anxious to see if Cory can handle 65 games in the regular season, plus 20+ playoff games(provided we make a deep run) with the weight of an entire city resting on his shoulders, with no one to come swooping in if he faulters. The most hes played in a year reg. season + PO's combined is 66 games in 09-10. with that much of a workload his PO #'s dipped to .905 with a GAA over 3.00 with the Moose. Hes obviously matured and blossomed since then but its kinda hard to just dismiss these numbers.

I hope to God almighty Gillis is making the right choice here, if not it could very well cost him his job. AS much as I support Lu its time to move on and wish him the best.

Did you even listen to the interview? Nowhere does he say he would only go to Florida. He simply says that is where his home is. He also talks about wanting to go where there is a chance to win. He was all class in that interview.

Roberto Luongo is the best goalie the canucks have ever had. Looking back on his time in Vancouver in year 1 he was amazing , year 2 he was alright but had the birth of his child to deal with as a distraction , year 3 he collapsed in Chicago in Game 6 ( I always say the first time we ever doubted Lou), year 4 he had his worst year and again we lost to Chicago , 2010-2011 he was amazing and consistent all year, bad in games 4,5 against chicago , good the rest of the way until the finals where he was up and down. I dont blame game 7 on him because u cant win a 7 game series scoring 8 goals , he could have played better , year 6 he was solid again and was not the reason we lost to LA. I guess I will look back on Luongo and say he always played well in the regular season , in the playoffs he always gave us a chance to win each series in the playoffs but was never good enough to take us over the hump on his own

To all those hating on Lu for this, do you even pay attention to what he said, or just try to find yet another reason to dislike him? I'm guessing the latter.

Lu said he'd go to Florida. So what? He also said if not florida, then go to a hockey market. He even said Chicago is a possibilty.

Listen to the interview before critcizing him more, or is that too hard?

As much as folks have loved to speculate, it seems oddly that everyone on the Canucks has been honest and open when asked about stuff.

Schneider said - I think I have earned the right to be a starter in the league, but I love Vancouver and all the guys in the locker room so it is a complicated decision

Luongo said - I would hate to be the GM, he has a tough decision. Now he says he didn't demand a trade and hasn't felt pushed out, but it seems like it has come to this. He went on to pump Schneider's tires.

Dont worry in a few years Cory is going to get the same treatment ....

As for Cory been a better goalie...period!!!! are you guys kidding me, based on 2 seasons his a better goalie give me a break.If Cory can average more then 37 wins(which Luongo has done in Vancouver) for the next 6 years and wins the cup then I would call him a better goalie but he has along way to go in my opinion.I don't think Cory will resign in Vancouver after this contract, just because by then we will be rebuilding.

Lu Stats in Vancouver (6 years)

wins 224 loses 115 GAA 2.45 sv% 9.20

these are the numbers Cory needs to be beat to be a better VANCOUVER goalie then Lu plus a bunch of team records.

• Most saves in a single game – 72 on April 11, 2007

• Longest shutout streak – 242:36 minutes (2008–09) (surpassed himself, 184:20 minutes in 2007–08)

• Most wins in a season – 47 in 2006–07 (surpassed Kirk McLean, 38 in 1991–92)

• Most games played in a season – 75 in 2006–07 (surpassed Gary Smith, 72 in 1974–75)

• Most shutouts in a season – 9 in 2008–09 (surpassed Dan Cloutier – 7 in 2001–02)

• Lowest GAA in a season - 2.11 in 2010–11 (surpassed Dan Cloutier – 2.27 in 2003–04)

• Most shutouts all-time – 28 (surpassed Kirk McLean, 20)

• Most wins all-time - 212 (as of January 23, 2012; surpassed Kirk McLean, 211)

This is a dick move by Luongo. By him saying what he did, he just took any leverage that Gillis had away. Luongo has basically stated the team he wants to go to, and in doing so gave Tallon all of the power in the negotiations. If Gillis sticks to his guns and doesn't trade Luongo for "the right price" he looks like a spiteful and vindictive arsehole.

It's a shame because until now Luongo has been class, but this singularly put him over the line in my opinion, into true douchebag territory.

Archived