Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Fan base already getting sentimental over Luongo

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
157 replies to this topic

#151 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

Luongo was supposed to finish his career here, have his number retired and everything...what the heck happened?

This entire ordeal can be attributed to Roberto's inconsistency in the playoffs, his mental fragility, the questionable length of his contract, and the emergence of another starting goaltender. These four factors have made obvious the need to move him.

When he arrived in Vancouver, people believed that had he played behind the West Coast Express, this city would have seen its first Stanley Cup championship. We have seen him crumble in the playoffs every year, however, even behind some of the most complete and dominant rosters in team history.

Mike Gillis has proven he does not concede to public pressure. He understands this decision is in the best interest of the team.

Edited by WeatherWise, 09 July 2012 - 10:28 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#152 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

This entire ordeal can be attributed to Roberto's inconsistency in the playoffs, his mental fragility, the questionable length of his contract, and the emergence of another starting goaltender. These four factors have made obvious the need to move him.

When he arrived in Vancouver, people believed that had he played behind the West Coast Express, this city would have seen its first Stanley Cup championship. We have seen him crumble in the playoffs every year, however, even behind some of the most complete and dominant rosters in team history.

Mike Gillis has proven he does not concede to public pressure. He understands this decision is in the best interest of the team.

Huh? Ordeal...obvious...what people believe....do you know MG personally?

I categorically disagree with your assessment about the "ordeal" and what was obvious and what people believed and what they saw and I do not know MG personally so I have no idea what he is thinking in his head about the public or the team.

I did see Roberto play some amazing games over the 6 years he's been with this team, and that, is just my opinion.

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

#153 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

This sums it up quite nicely.
Lu was/is an above average goalie. Canuck fans had only had relatively short spans of that kind of confidence in that position. Richard Brodeur and Kirk Mclean had just a few years each where they shone. Lu was, overall, in the regular season, able to sustain a consistency in goal for a longer period of time than either of them.

But I would say that they had something that Lu did not. The ability to focus your emotions when the games really counted in the playoffs. Not for one or two games, but for every game. Maybe their positioning or athletic skills were not at the same level, and also the team in front was not always stacked, but they did not have the emotional immaturity of Luongo where he seemed to internalize a bad goal against and dwell on it which lead to another bad goal etc... (Cloutier had the same problem)

Quick was an example of the opposite this last playoffs. He didn't have a couple of good games, then rely on the rest of the team to bail him out for the next one, then have another good one, then stink, etc...drawing series out to 7 games, win or lose. No, he was mentally strong enough to be ready for every shot whether he had seen the puck much or not, or whether a fluke goal was scored on him or not. This created the ability for the rest of the team to finish off their opposition early in a series.

I still think Lu can go from being a good goalie to a great goalie once again, because a mental problem can be fixed...if he finds the right therapy and really wants to work on it. He has the physical skills. (Although Cory has even better positioning skills). So all the best to him. But it would be nearly impossible to bounce back in this market where he's choked in the playoffs too many times.

But as to the OP. It is funny how fan reaction is different for different players. Lu ASKS to be traded...and people are sobbing for him.....yet only based on rumour, Hodgson supposedly asked for a trade (which I doubt) and he's lambasted as a turncoat.

#154 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Singling out a goalie in the Boston series is absurd - especially when the Canucks scored 8 goals.

If you're going to single any player out for the Boston series, single out Tim Thomas.

True, the Canucks didn't score enough. The difference between Thomas and Luongo however was that Thomas was terrific in every game whereas Luongo was only terrific in three games.

#155 SwedishCrowns

SwedishCrowns

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

Luo sucks! I hate him

#156 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

Groin injuries.

If not for them Luo could be still playing lights out in net.

#157 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

Groin injuries.

If not for them Luo could be still playing lights out in net.

Theres a whole lot more wrong with his game than groin injuries. Groin injuries don;t cause melt downs in playoffs or inconsistancies from game to game...Lou has flaws in his fundamentals, that get exploited. To say groin injuries is pure speculation on your part and pointless.

#158 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Trading a proven starting NHL goalie and someone who guarantees the Canucks 30 wins a season is just a bonehead move by MG. Cory Schneider is still a nobody, and will be a nobody compared to Luongo until he strings consecutive 30 or 40 win seasons together AND shows up big in the important playoff games.

I would assume you would agree with me that elimination games are "important" playoff games. Lou is 7-11 in elimination games in the playoffs. Thanks for coming.

P.S. Dan Cloutier managed to string 3 straight 30 win seasons together with an inferior version of this team.

Edited by thema, 11 July 2012 - 11:03 AM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.