The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Incredible Movies

dajusta

ratatouille2.jpg

Ratatouille.

In my opinion, Pixar's best movie.

I still haven't seen The Incredibles, though. Ratatouille is done by the same director as The Incredibles, and the tragically under appreciated Iron Giant. Brad Bird is kind of an animated film genius, I think.

Ratatouille's strong point is its subtlety. The movie relies on great character development, and the humour is much more, uh, 'adult.' That isn't to say it's sexual, or suggestive, or any of that, but it's not really a movie kids will easily get, especially when you factor in its long run time.

What makes Ratatouille so great is that it goes easy on the obnoxious chase sequences and sentimentality that Pixar loves to beat the viewer over the head with. Yeah, there's some sentimentality in the movie, and even one or two chase scenes, but they're not nearly as in your face as the ones in, say, Up, or something. Again, the movie thrives on subtlety.

If you've never seen Ratatouille, and you like animated movies, cooking, Paris... or rats.. definitely check this one out. The last 20-30 minutes or so are so rewarding. Great conclusion to the movie.

Critical achievement: 96% on RT based on 217 votes, average rating 8.4/10.

ratatouille2.jpg

Ratatouille.

I still haven't seen The Incredibles, though. Ratatouille is done by the same director as The Incredibles, and the tragically under appreciated Iron Giant. Brad Bird is kind of an animated film genius, I think.

Ratatouille's strong point is its subtlety. The movie relies on great character development, and the humour is much more, uh, 'adult.' That isn't to say it's sexual, or suggestive, or any of that, but it's not really a movie kids will easily get, especially when you factor in its long run time.

What makes Ratatouille so great is that it goes easy on the obnoxious chase sequences and sentimentality that Pixar loves to beat the viewer over the head with. Yeah, there's some sentimentality in the movie, and even one or two chase scenes, but they're not nearly as in your face as the ones in, say, Up, or something. Again, the movie thrives on subtlety.

If you've never seen Ratatouille, and you like animated movies, cooking, Paris... or rats.. definitely check this one out. The last 20-30 minutes or so are so rewarding. Great conclusion to the movie.

For a Pixar movie, I thought Ratatouille is one of the black sheep in the family.

As the movie started, the breaking of the glass to the in focus perspective of the rat.. it seemed like a very bumpy and unsmooth introduction. It ran too fast into the plot and characters. I didn't feel attached to any of the people on screen, just wanted to see what was next. This isn't Pixar.

Pixar is legendary for making us feel towards the characters, wanting them to succeed and also putting us a state of awe inspiring chemistry between plot and message. Toy Story had a wonderful plot, a wonderful message, and themes.

Though Toy Story is near #1, I suppose it's unfair to match Ratatouille to such a movie, but let's take another one for example: Monster's Inc.

A very classic cornerstone of Pixar's image and direction. Seamlessly taking a concept beyond imagination, bringing it to the comprehension of a child, and yet also capturing the hearts of any aged person watching, Monster's Inc is truly a movie to smile about. This is also Pixar.

I am hesitant to share the same opinion that Ratatouille is an incredible movie, but it is good nonetheless.

I watched Gattaca the other night, starring Ethan Hawke and Jude Law. I've seen bits and pieces on TV before but I had never watched the whole thing.

I highly recommend it. It's part murder mystery, part sci-fi, part drama and takes place in a futuristic society where humans are genetically engineered to be stronger and smarter. The most interesting part of the movie for me is the contrast between the main characters. Genetically superior Eugene (Law) has everything going for him and every opportunity to succeed, but is depressed because he falls just short of his lofty expectations for himself. Genetically inferior Vincent (Hawke), has nothing going for him but his ambition and drive to accomplish his dream and must overcome his many disadvantages to succeed.

It's an older one so probably lots of you have seen it, but if you haven't it's worth it.

It's been about 7 years since I last watched it, but it was fantastic.I also have to say that I know Starship Troopers has no place being in anybody's top 5 films. There are about 2000 other movies more well done and important. It's just there because I have a hell of a time watching it. It is, afterall, my favourite films, not what movies I believe to be the best. If that was the case, my list would look a lot different.

I totally hear you. A movie doesn't have to be "Incredible" to the masses for it to be a personal favourite.

Tiger In The Snow is like that. It's got it's flaws, so I couldn't say it should be considered one of histories' greatest movies. However, for my personal tastes, it is definitely one of my favourite of all time.

There's also movies that make me laugh and remind me of my youth. So another one of my faves would be UHF...but from a universal critical standpoint, it's not a great movie at all.

For a Pixar movie, I thought Ratatouille is one of the black sheep in the family.

As the movie started, the breaking of the glass to the in focus perspective of the rat.. it seemed like a very bumpy and unsmooth introduction. It ran too fast into the plot and characters. I didn't feel attached to any of the people on screen, just wanted to see what was next. This isn't Pixar.

Pixar is legendary for making us feel towards the characters, wanting them to succeed and also putting us a state of awe inspiring chemistry between plot and message. Toy Story had a wonderful plot, a wonderful message, and themes.

Though Toy Story is near #1, I suppose it's unfair to match Ratatouille to such a movie, but let's take another one for example: Monster's Inc.

A very classic cornerstone of Pixar's image and direction. Seamlessly taking a concept beyond imagination, bringing it to the comprehension of a child, and yet also capturing the hearts of any aged person watching, Monster's Inc is truly a movie to smile about. This is also Pixar.

I am hesitant to share the same opinion that Ratatouille is an incredible movie, but it is good nonetheless.

I'm also curious as to how Ang Lee will handle Life of Pi.

I thought Crouching Tiger was an amazing movie back in the day, but haven't seen it for a few years.

Ang Lee's American movies haven't been well received as of late, so I was a bit skeptical of his appointment as director. For those who followed the process, Life of Pi went through like 10,000 different writers and directors before Ang Lee was settled. I'm pretty sure the film was in production limbo for about 6 years, before Lee took over.

American Gangster

While based on a true story a lot of the movie is fictional, but nevertheless great acting by both Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. An honourable mention to Ruby Dee who portrayed Frank Lucas' (Denzel's character) mother, which I think she got an Academy Award nomination. I really enjoyed how the movie portrays both leading characters in their own scenes and subplots in a predominantly mutually exclusive manner up to the point where Russell arrests Denzel at the end of the movie. At this point do the main characters finally "meet" each other after a wild goose chase of confronting mass police corruption, evidence collecting and using informants and whatnot. It also serves as a good history lesson as to how rampant heroin abuse emerged in Harlem during the Vietnam War. The streets of Harlem were definitely depicted as raw; top notch marks for authenticity.

While not my favourite movie of all time, it's up there. I'd say top 10. Probably Ridley Scott's last good movie that he directed (haven't seen Prometheus yet).

Edit: Here's the arrest scene I was talking about. The music is quite fitting.

My all-time favourite movie, ever. Sickest gangster movie ever made, and its just wowing.....sad to hear when you talk about it and some people haven't even heard of it when they watch lots of movies....This should be a must for everyone to watch.

You seen The Elephant Man? Probably David Lynch's most "normal" movie. Brilliantly shot, and a really, really interesting subject about the deformed dude from the 19th century. As far as 80's movies go, it definitely stands the test of time, and Anthony Hopkins gives one of his best performances. Great sets too, especially if you're into that eerie old world, foggy London street vibe.

ratatouille2.jpg

Ratatouille.

Archived