The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Incredible Movies

dajusta

The Prestige

A movie about magicians, which unfolds like a magic trick in itself. The acting and directing are fantastic, and the concept unique and compelling.

But the real treat in this movie is in re-watching it (multiple times, even), and seeing how many times you, the viewer, were completely played.

I love old classics, one of the best is Out of the Past with Robert Mitchum

It is one of the defining films of the "Film Noir" genre. Filled with shady, ambiguous characters, double crosses, set ups, you're never fully sure who the good guy is or if there really is one nor can you easily tell who is on who's side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87XMXWypOZs&feature=related

The Prestige

A movie about magicians, which unfolds like a magic trick in itself. The acting and directing are fantastic, and the concept unique and compelling.

But the real treat in this movie is in re-watching it (multiple times, even), and seeing how many times you, the viewer, were completely played.

You are my favourite poster on CDC, and this is another reason why. Nolan's movies are fantastic, but this get's lost in the fold. It was also the first time I thought that Hugh Jackman could actually act.

I think the thing in this movie that still gets me when I re-watch this is what exactly happens with Hugh Jackman's "true" identity, if you know what I mean. I want to explain more what I mean, but I don't know how to do spoiler tags. Great movie though.

For me, I have to put down Starship Troopers. It's not just the absurdity of it all, but what Paul Verhoeven's intention with it was. Most people would watch ST and either think, "What a sh*tty movie," or "Pretty solid B movie;" when in fact, it is so much more. Listening to Verhoeven on the commentary is an absolute treat. Because he grew up right in the middle of WWII, Starship Troopers played out with "What would the world look like had the Nazi's actually won?" This just adds another layer to the film that I'm not sure most people actually realize.

I remember when my wife saw it for the first time, she said, "That was the worst piece of garbage I have ever seen." The first thing I asked her was, "Didn't you think it was odd that in Buenos Aires, majority of the students were white?" Not only that, but how many of the characters had blonde hair with blue eyes? The more I write, the more I want to see it again.

And I have to add, because I'm such a nerd, I actually name my Boston Terrier after NPH's character in the movie, Carl. "If you think you're psychic...maybe you are." I laugh my ass off everytime.

Great write up. I also thought this movie was good. The child actors did a real good job pulling me into the story. Unlike a lot of kid centered movies that struggle with the acting part and just read lines off a script. This movie brought me back to when I was a kid and would watch ET or Poltergeist. Felt like a salute to Spielberg and those types of movies of the 80s. I had the same feeling after watching it at home, should have seen it in theatres.

12 Angry Men

spoilers?

Despite the movie taking place in one room, and it being black and white, this film is great. The pacing of the movie, and the development of the characters is fantastic. This movie heavily relied on its script and great acting + characters and I think it deserves to be mentioned because it proved to me that a movie doesn't need special effects to be great.

Ok the movie is Felon released in 2008 starring Stephen Dorf and Val Kilmer. Kilmer gains nearly 50 pounds and puts on the best performance of his career IMO as a Shot caller(choosing who fights between two inmates for respect) in prison. Dorf is sent to prison after being convicted of a crime that was really out of protection for his family. If you did not know Kilmer was in this when you start watching you will be saying "Is that Val kilmer ? No it is some one else , but wait.... it is ?"

The movie raw and violent conveys the directors view of life in State prison. The screenplay between Kilmer and Dorf is so palpable it almost comes across as an inside documentary at times. Harold Parrineau from OZ fame is on the other side of the bars this time and proves to be one of the better supporting characters in the entire film. The movie although not my typical genre left me saying "Wow great flick !"

A recent movie that comes off my mind is "Drive" starring Ryan Gossling.

He plays such a cool quiet but awkward guy, who is a stunt driver by day but a wheelman by night. Definitely feels like a very oldschool 80s movie but is set in present Los Angeles. Contrary to the title the movie isn't just about him driving or being a wheelman like other movies such as "Transporter" but there's a lot more to the story and that's what gets you immersed into the story. I'm very critical of movies but this one would get a solid 9.5 out of 10 in my books. Fantastic movie, one of my favorite. Its definitely a very serious movie.

It got a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes and here's their summary:

Ryan Gosling stars as a Los Angeles wheelman for hire, stunt driving for movie productions by day and steering getaway vehicles for armed heists by night. Though a loner by nature, Driver can't help falling in love with his beautiful neighbor Irene (Carey Mulligan), a vulnerable young mother dragged into a dangerous underworld by the return of her ex-convict husband Standard (Oscar Isaac). After a heist intended to pay off Standard's protection money spins unpredictably out of control, Driver finds himself driving defense for the girl he loves, tailgated by a syndicate of deadly serious criminals. But when he realizes that the gangsters are after more than the bag of cash in his trunk-that they're coming straight for Irene and her son-Driver is forced to shift gears and go on offense

You are my favourite poster on CDC, and this is another reason why. Nolan's movies are fantastic, but this get's lost in the fold. It was also the first time I thought that Hugh Jackman could actually act.

I think the thing in this movie that still gets me when I re-watch this is what exactly happens with Hugh Jackman's "true" identity, if you know what I mean. I want to explain more what I mean, but I don't know how to do spoiler tags. Great movie though.

For me, I have to put down Starship Troopers. It's not just the absurdity of it all, but what Paul Verhoeven's intention with it was. Most people would watch ST and either think, "What a sh*tty movie," or "Pretty solid B movie;" when in fact, it is so much more. Listening to Verhoeven on the commentary is an absolute treat. Because he grew up right in the middle of WWII, Starship Troopers played out with "What would the world look like had the Nazi's actually won?" This just adds another layer to the film that I'm not sure most people actually realize.

I remember when my wife saw it for the first time, she said, "That was the worst piece of garbage I have ever seen." The first thing I asked her was, "Didn't you think it was odd that in Buenos Aires, majority of the students were white?" Not only that, but how many of the characters had blonde hair with blue eyes? The more I write, the more I want to see it again.

And I have to add, because I'm such a nerd, I actually name my Boston Terrier after NPH's character in the movie, Carl. "If you think you're psychic...maybe you are." I laugh my ass off everytime.

In my opinion, Pulp Fiction is the best most ever made.

I'm not going to go crazy and type up a massive review, I could be here all night, but I will just mention my favourite aspect of the movie.

The thing I love most about Quentin Tarantino's films is the dialogue. The conversations between characters are fantastic throughout the entire movie. Most movies have one or two good lines that people love to quote, but Pulp Fiction is almost an endless series of quotes. Take any scene from that movie and you will come away with at least a handful of memorable lines. My favourite scene is at the end, in the second half of the restaurant scene when Ringo (Pumpkin) and Yolanda (Honey Bunny) are robbing the place and while bagging customers wallets, they have a run-in with Jules Winnfield (whch also happens to be my favourite movie character). The conversation between Ringo and Jules is a bit long to post here, but I love it. (Actually I'll just use a clip off YouTube. Just skip to 6:05 to get to the best part)

I own a BMF wallet actually, just like the one in that scene. Everytime some schlub asks me if I've seen Pulp Fiction I just whip it out. The wallet that is.

220px-Movie_poster_toy_story.jpg

My all time favorite film.

Why is it an incredible movie?

1. Story progression and development. The movie is paced incredibly well to keep the audience interested throughout the entire movie. Every second of that movie had a purpose. The story is sweet and simple with a great cast of characters. It has a great mix of comedy, action, and adventure but also has emotional and touching scenes.

2. Tim Allen & Tom Hanks.

3. First full length 3D Animated feature film. Revolutionized 3D animation and its industry. While the visuals of recent animated films have surpassed this masterpiece, I don't think any 3D animated films has replicated the magic created by the original Toy Story.

I've seen Toy Story countless times since I was 7 and to this day (at age 24) I still enjoy it. I guess my review is biased but I think those points are valid.

I think i'll pop in the dvd when I get back from work tonight.

My all time favorite film.

Why is it an incredible movie?

1. Story progression and development. The movie is paced incredibly well to keep the audience interested throughout the entire movie. Every second of that movie had a purpose. The story is sweet and simple with a great cast of characters. It has a great mix of comedy, action, and adventure but also has emotional and touching scenes.

2. Tim Allen & Tom Hanks.

3. First full length 3D Animated feature film. Revolutionized 3D animation and its industry. While the visuals of recent animated films have surpassed this masterpiece, I don't think any 3D animated films has replicated the magic created by the original Toy Story.

I've seen Toy Story countless times since I was 7 and to this day (at age 24) I still enjoy it. I guess my review is biased but I think those points are valid.

I think i'll pop in the dvd when I get back from work tonight.

I watched The Prestige, as per D Money's suggestion. I wasn't expecting a whole lot, as I'm not fond of the cast, and I almost passionately dislike Christopher Nolan's work as a director (sorry, Monty). I just find his work is often mis"read" as being a lot deeper than it actually is.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the movie. Even at just over 2 hours, I wasn't bored or disengaged at all. The story was good, acting was decent-good in all fronts, and I really enjoyed the set and costume design too. I love that old London style, so long as it's not done by Tim Burton.

I wasn't crazy about the end, and how everything came pieced together within a span of 3 minutes, and I don't think the movies half as complex as it wants to be. So to say it may be difficult for a "simple audience" to get, to me, seems odd, as the plot doesn't really require "getting" anything, so long as the viewer sticks with it until the end. The a-ha! moments provided by the film are almost exclusively in remembering tidbits of foreshadowing.

But still, I really enjoyed it, and will definitely watch it again, just to look for more elements of foreshadowing.

I'd give it a solid 8-8.5/10

Archived