The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

From hockey magazine @NHLTimes:

- Doan has been in BC due to the Blazers since last weekend. They spoke formally for the first time last weekend, and [yesterday] was their second.

- Canucks are in the lead for Doan's services as both sides believe it's a great fit

- Doan has gone farther with the Canucks than other teams, meeting with players and all of management

- Doan wasn't planning on coming back to Vancouver for a visit for a while but "new, interesting developments" piqued his interest

I'm gunna grasp at straws here and suggest a fantasy scenario that may or may not have occured last night in Gastown @ The Italian Kitchen:

As Italian food was the main course, could this have been a message to Luongo that his contract cap hit will be eaten up by Doan. Was Luongo perhaps in attendance?--ushered in the back door as a mystery secret guest. Maybe Doan and Luongo will swap houses after selling Lu on PHX. Just maybe.....

...ah....a fantasy world...it's the only thing that makes sense anymore. If Doan was really interested in signing with the Canucks, it would have been announced yesterday or today already. I figure he is just on tour for the free dinners and lunches but really intends to sign with the NYR or stay at his ranch if there is hope for long term ownership stability in PHX. Vancouver is being used as part of his agents negotiating tactic for what it appears to be between PHX or NYR.

I'm gunna grasp at straws here and suggest a fantasy scenario that may or may not have occured last night in Gastown @ The Italian Kitchen:

As Italian food was the main course, could this have been a message to Luongo that his contract cap hit will be eaten up by Doan. Was Luongo perhaps in attendance?--ushered in the back door as a mystery secret guest. Maybe Doan and Luongo will swap houses after selling Lu on PHX. Just maybe.....

...ah....a fantasy world...it's the only thing that makes sense anymore. If Doan was really interested in signing with the Canucks, it would have been announced yesterday or today already. I figure he is just on tour for the free dinners and lunches but really intends to sign with the NYR or stay at his ranch if there is hope for long term ownership stability in PHX. Vancouver is being used as part of his agents negotiating tactic for what it appears to be between PHX or NYR.

I think he and his family are probably looking at this as a chance of a lifetime (playing in NYC); where the kids could still goto good schools (and later some good NY colleges/universities), and for only a few years of sacrifice away from PHX, they could always just travel back to their ranch for family holidays and the offseason. I think the family aspect and the Doans relocating to the big Apple is probably very very appealing to them all.

Perhaps BC is regarded for a lot of players simply a nice place to spend a vacation in, or even later on retire to. Like Gillis once said, just cause they (the players) are from BC doesn't mean they'll play for the Canucks. My gut feeling, is if the Doans don't stay in PHX, Shane will sign for ridiculous amount of overpayment with an Eastern team (NYR) for the chance of his family living out a very nice next few years of a life...perhaps they want a real change if it requires moving as a whole family--which NYC could provide this for sure. Nothing wrong with that, just not feeling it...that Doan will be in a Canuck uniform anytime soon.

I think he and his family are probably looking at this as a chance of a lifetime (playing in NYC); where the kids could still goto good schools (and later some good NY colleges/universities), and for only a few years of sacrifice away from PHX, they could always just travel back to their ranch for family holidays and the offseason. I think the family aspect and the Doans relocating to the big Apple is probably very very appealing to them all.

Perhaps BC is regarded for a lot of players simply a nice place to spend a vacation in, or even later on retire to. Like Gillis once said, just cause they (the players) are from BC doesn't mean they'll play for the Canucks. My gut feeling, is if the Doans don't stay in PHX, Shane will sign for ridiculous amount of overpayment with an Eastern team (NYR) for the chance of his family living out a very nice next few years of a life...perhaps they want a real change if it requires moving as a whole family--which NYC could provide this for sure. Nothing wrong with that, just not feeling it...that Doan will be in a Canuck uniform anytime soon.

British Columbia is one of the best. most beautiful places to live on Earth, and IMO the best to live in North America, besides the crapty wages compared to other Canadian provinces such as Alberta, and I've travelled pretty much everywhere, and yet I've lived in Victoria, BC my whole life, moving to Vancouver next year, and I can't wait, so excited. I bet anyone 50$ that Doan comes to Vancouver.

I just think that as he already spends alot of offseason time in BC a chance at living it up with the family in NYC could be something the Doans would consider, given that it would only be for a few years. The Doans don't need to be sold on BC as they all know what it's like, and yes a great place to live; however so is NYC and if for only a few years, why not go for the experience of a lifetime that they otherwise would probably never consider or have an opportunity at. BC & PHX ranch in the offseason and for holidays, but for work and school, NYC. Best of both worlds is it not? For a Canuck fan probably not what someone wants to hear though.

I just think that as he already spends alot of offseason time in BC a chance at living it up with the family in NYC could be something the Doans would consider, given that it would only be for a few years. The Doans don't need to be sold on BC as they all know what it's like, and yes a great place to live; however so is NYC and if for only a few years, why not go for the experience of a lifetime that they otherwise would probably never consider or have an opportunity at. BC & PHX ranch in the offseason and for holidays, but for work and school, NYC. Best of both worlds is it not? For a Canuck fan probably not what someone wants to hear though.

Archived