The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

I don't see how MG let this happen. Weber was clearly worth the money and compensation. I hope Nashville matches. Holmgren has it right. Def my

Fave GM. He obviously has a lot more assets to play with but isn't afraid to make bold Moves for stud dmen. If they don't win the cup in the next 5 years I'll be very surprised.

Hmmm. This is a calculated case of act now and beg for forgiveness later by Holmgren.

He may very well have written the last successful offer sheet; and it could be that no one ever gets a clear shot at revenge.

The overtones of this signing could very well impact the CBA negotiations, and if you think about it, that's exactly what ComCast and the rich NHL teams want.

People say that NSH will match the offer sheet.... but I doubt they will.

NSH is going to be getting 4 first rounders for Weber. Plus NHL.com says NSH was working on trading Weber to the Flyers, but NSH missed several deadlines and Flyers lost their patience... so why would NSH match the offersheet if they were going to trade him away?

I have a feeling that someone in NSH's management is gonna get the boot!

I don't. All of their young defensemen have solid potential, and as on most teams, your top 4 will eat up most of the minutes. Their top 4, with Rinne behind them, still looks like it can do the job. They know how to draft and develop defensemen there. I don't think any team in the league has turned out as many NHL quality D in recent memory. Don't underestimate how they develop these players. look at the D they've produced.

Karlis Skrastins

Dan Hamhuis

Ryan Suter

Kevin Klein

Shea Weber

Alexander Sulzer

Cody Franson

Jonathon Blum

Nick Spaling

Roman Josi

Ryan Ellis

Mattias Ekholm (was SEL rookie of the year a year ago)

During the same time the Canucks for example have produced

Bryan Allen

Kevin Bieksa

Alexander Edler

Hmmm. This is a calculated case of act now and beg for forgiveness later by Holmgren.

He may very well have written the last successful offer sheet; and it could be that no one ever gets a clear shot at revenge.

The overtones of this signing could very well impact the CBA negotiations, and if you think about it, that's exactly what ComCast and the rich NHL teams want.

I don't. All of their young defensemen have solid potential, and as on most teams, your top 4 will eat up most of the minutes. Their top 4, with Rinne behind them, still looks like it can do the job. They know how to draft and develop defensemen there. I don't think any team in the league has turned out as many NHL quality D in recent memory. Don't underestimate how they develop these players. look at the D they've produced.

Karlis Skrastins

Dan Hamhuis

Ryan Suter

Kevin Klein

Shea Weber

Alexander Sulzer

Cody Franson

Jonathon Blum

Nick Spaling

Roman Josi

Ryan Ellis

Mattias Ekholm (was SEL rookie of the year a year ago)

During the same time the Canucks for example have produced

Bryan Allen

Kevin Bieksa

Alexander Edler

Wow some people are acting like the world is ending. Shea Weber was never going to be a Canuck. I don't know why some of you guys got your hopes up so high. The cap and term is just not doable right now for the Canucks. If this was happening a few years down the road when the situation was different, then maybe. But as of right now the Canucks couldn't sign Weber.

In the end we still have one of the best teams in the league. We just won back to back President Trophies and we went to the Cup Final 2 years ago. Our core is the exact same as last year and we're going to compete for the Cup this upcoming year.

The Kings couldn't win the Stanley Cup with Gretzky. ONE player does not make a TEAM.

Jesus Christ some of you guys are just the biggest drama queens I've ever seen. Gillis doesn't sign Weber to a ridiculous contract, "OMGZ WE'RE SCREWED!!!!!! WE TOTALLY SUCK NOW!!!! OUR FUTURE IS OVER! THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!! WE ONLY HAVE THE HANK, DANK, KESLER, BURROWS, EDLER, SCHNEIDER, LU, HAMHUIS AND A BUNCH OF OTHER REALLY GOOD PLAYERS!!!! BUT WITHOUT WEBER WE'RE NOTHING!!!!"

But then again I don't know why I'm surprised. This is CDC we're talking about here.

Archived