The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

Yes, cause I was responding you your first part. As I said, it was technically 3 - 1st rounders, but came in the form of a pick and 2 players.

My second part was responding to your comment:

You can call a player a first rounder if he was drafted there, fine. But don't make it sound like a 1st rounder that busted has the same value as a future 1st rounder. A lottery ticket that lost is still a lottery ticket, but I wouldn't pay a penny for one.

Gillis is a worthless GM. The core of this team was put together by Burke and Nonis, NONE of it by Gillis, and the one player he has drafted over the past 5 years who managed to crack the roster, he trades away for garbage just because of the Bruins.

i kinda thought it was a pipe dream of him landing here anyway. screw weber!!! i hope nashville matches the offer sheet!!! if he really wanted to play for a team that has a legit shot at a cup, he wouldnt have signed an offer sheet with philly!! and no, its not just the cider talking!!

Owners and players both are idiotic for doing these deals taking players til they're 40 years old. They have no one but themselves to blame if they can't agree on a CBA and a lockout occurs. What's next, a player like Evander Kane gets a 20 year deal worth $100M+?

On the plus side, maybe there isn't a no movement clause?

Gillis is a worthless GM. The core of this team was put together by Burke and Nonis, NONE of it by Gillis, and the one player he has drafted over the past 5 years who managed to crack the roster, he trades away for garbage just because of the Bruins.

What do people have against offer sheets? I know there taboo in this league. The same people have nothing wrong with Hamhuis and garrison signing as UFAs for less money. I'm more resentful at Gms for that. Much more of a cheap shot. Everything's within the RULES. Do you know what rules are? So what if not many gms practice or condone offer sheets? For guys like Weber they're excellent value. Gilly shoulda been in on this play and he should have offered more money. Our team shouldn't have patience. Weber on our team now is what we need. Who cares about 2 firsts and a third if we win the cup? He's a perennial Norris winner.

What do people have against offer sheets? I know there taboo in this league. The same people have nothing wrong with Hamhuis and garrison signing as UFAs for less money. I'm more resentful at Gms for that. Much more of a cheap shot. Everything's within the RULES. Do you know what rules are? So what if not many gms practice or condone offer sheets? For guys like Weber they're excellent value. Gilly shoulda been in on this play and he should have offered more money. Our team shouldn't have patience. Weber on our team now is what we need. Who cares about 2 firsts and a third if we win the cup? He's a perennial Norris winner.

Poile will match, 100%.

Yes it will be a lot of money in the first year, but it will be significantly less in the following years. The owners will make it work because they HAVE to spend money to get to the cap anyways (they are already under with Weber), and if they lose him they will lose their ability to generate decent revenue. The guy is their captain and fan favorite, letting him walk away for simply financial issues would be completely unexcusable to the fans.

Poile is probably the happiest guy ever right now, Holmgren just did all his dirty work for him, now all he has to do is match and he's got Weber signed long term which was his goal all along.

Poile will match, 100%.

Yes it will be a lot of money in the first year, but it will be significantly less in the following years. The owners will make it work because they HAVE to spend money to get to the cap anyways (they are already under with Weber), and if they lose him they will lose their ability to generate decent revenue. The guy is their captain and fan favorite, letting him walk away for simply financial issues would be completely unexcusable to the fans.

Poile is probably the happiest guy ever right now, Holmgren just did all his dirty work for him, now all he has to do is match and he's got Weber signed long term which was his goal all along.

Poile will match, 100%.

So many people trash talking Mike Gillis....

Honestly people.... do you personally know Shea Weber? Did he tell you that he would LOVE to play for the Canucks? Not everyone that is born in BC likes the Canucks. I was born in Ontario, and I like the Canucks, NOT Toronto or Ottawa....so don't assume that BC born players all want to play for the Canucks, let alone take a pay cut to play here.

Archived