The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Moneypuck"

Uller34

Why is it that VAN fans always feel entitled to players signing/being traded here. It's a big league.

We've been VERY lucky with guys like Garrisson, Hamhuis,Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Schneider all signing here with competitive contracts. That's MONEYBALL'n.

Can't wait to find out what the team looks like after Luongo is traded. We have a very solid team top to bottom.

The philly/weber move was as most people will recognize classless. Nashville has done everything right in building up a hockey fan base and this will have an impact on that market in a rather negative manner. It is dirty move and you can bet most owners including Bettman will be unhappy with this.

Philly is a knee jerk organization - throw silly at the first free agent goalie they come across - dump Richards and Carter who turn around and win a cup, and now this.

Well after Webers offer sheet I think the Canucks should stay away from big names(unless we draft them) and like the A's moneyball start doing "Moneypuck" I would start figuring out how to "catagorize" players but I suck at math lol. Is the any Canuck fans with wicked math skills who could start a Moneypuck forum with a list of categories ..i.e. ppg%, +- , from a team persperctive and then we could all have fun seeing who meets our needs. Because I for one never want to see a 100 million contract here in Van unless its a the 2nd comming if ya know what I mean

This is a very interesting topic. My view is the Canucks are a large enough market to sign players "Who want to be here" at reasonible contracts. However, this market is not big enough to compete with the larger markets under the current cap system. I was sick to my staomach when I heard about the Parise,Suter, and now Weber signing's. The Canucks simply cannot afford to compete in a market where contracts are being thrown around this way. As I said already, the team has the resources to compete in a fair market system, but not with the way things are currently.

If the new CBA cures the problems of long term contracts that are heavily front loaded and can sustain a fair market system, then the Canucks can compete with the LA's,NY's, Philly's and Pittsburgh's of the NHL.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

The Canucks already employ so-called "moneyball" systems when evaluating players. Gillis also has an internal team salary structure and monetary values assigned to certain statistics that players are measured for.

The honest truth that a lot of people have had a hard time understanding is that making a deal happen takes both sides. It's moronic to think that Gillis can just go out and make a deal happen. A great example of this are Suter and Weber, both of whom had never had any intention of playing here, ever. Yet, fans want MG's head for not tendering an offersheet to Weber and not throwing a deal at Suter. Problem is, they forget that both Weber and Suter had to want to be a Canuck in the first place.

We have our core in place, and what Gillis is doing is surrounding that core with the best available players he can find at reasonable salaries, or at times even players have have been undervalued on the market. You could call that "moneyball" if you like.

We already do this. There is a reason we go after a different type of player rather than big names. We have one of the best teams in the league and almost every player we have plays for below market value. We don't go after big names, we go after character players with often overlooked value.

Well after Webers offer sheet I think the Canucks should stay away from big names(unless we draft them) and like the A's moneyball start doing "Moneypuck" I would start figuring out how to "catagorize" players but I suck at math lol. Is the any Canuck fans with wicked math skills who could start a Moneypuck forum with a list of categories ..i.e. ppg%, +- , from a team persperctive and then we could all have fun seeing who meets our needs. Because I for one never want to see a 100 million contract here in Van unless its a the 2nd comming if ya know what I mean

This is a very interesting topic. My view is the Canucks are a large enough market to sign players "Who want to be here" at reasonible contracts. However, this market is not big enough to compete with the larger markets under the current cap system. I was sick to my staomach when I heard about the Parise,Suter, and now Weber signing's. The Canucks simply cannot afford to compete in a market where contracts are being thrown around this way. As I said already, the team has the resources to compete in a fair market system, but not with the way things are currently.

If the new CBA cures the problems of long term contracts that are heavily front loaded and can sustain a fair market system, then the Canucks can compete with the LA's,NY's, Philly's and Pittsburgh's of the NHL.

I think it's great Gillis read moneyball and is trying to be innovative with stats. Baseball and hockey aren't comparable tho, Gilly even said it himself. The fact is we arent the A's. He asked the owners to triple the scouting budget. That isn't a GM who is desperate for any competitive statistical edge. Well see how many of our 4-5-6-7th rounders pan out. If our success rate is higher than most teams then great, toot his horn all you want. Teams like Detroit and Nashville find diamonds in the rough. I'd be ecstatic if all this supposed analysis MG n co look at pays off but we still don't have a cup and our window is closing. Think about competing with the oilers in 5 years. I'd rather him just use our financial advantage and make the necessary moves to win. The days of NHL dynastys are long over.

^ The analysis he's done is going to take a few years to show results, if the drafting strategy he implemented works.

Statistically, there is a higher chance of getting an NHL'er if you draft older players in the later rounds, but not so much for the earlier rounds unless their growth has been phenomenal.

Archived