Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#691 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,100 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Well, lets see if hockeyy insiderr gets this right. Personally, I have my doubts.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, seeing as up until this point, all we were hearing is that Tallon didn't want to let Bjugstad go and mess with the Panthers' depth.

Now all of a sudden, he's relented and he's going to throw in Matthias as well?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#692 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Well, lets see if hockeyy insiderr gets this right. Personally, I have my doubts.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, seeing as up until this point, all we were hearing is that Tallon didn't want to let Bjugstad go and mess with the Panthers' depth.

I think he just wants this saga to end just like the rest of us.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#693 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

I think he just wants this saga to end just like the rest of us.

...or maybe he knows Bugstad is going to pull a Schultz so he's really only giving up Matthias for Lu <_<

#694 kodos

kodos

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

So we traded Bert for Lou, FLA traded Bert for Matthias, and now we're trading back Lou for Matthias. It only makes sense...

Well we did get six solid seasons out of Lou in this deal
Posted Image

#695 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

Well from what I gathered I thought all those reports stemmed from one source and one person, and that story just multiplied after the initial person put it out there, so I don't quite know how credible that story was either. BUT hockeyinsiderr has had a good track record lately, breaking stories way before other sources AND called every bit of the weber saga (price, Nashville matching, etc) before everyone else, so I'm definitely starting to pay more attention to him. Hoping he's right because package A sounds great....

#696 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

Well, lets see if hockeyy insiderr gets this right.

I doubt he could get his own order at McDicks right
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#697 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

The Lord (Gillis) works in mysterious ways.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#698 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

Not sold on a Bjugstad package. I think he projects to be a solid, 2 way, 2nd line center in a few years, but how does that help us now? Our window to win is 2 years TOPS, after that we will still have a good team, but with likely not elite. I understand Gillis has his hands tied a bit here in terms of limited trading parters, so I'd prob take the deal. But then I would trade a prospect or two and our first rounder for a legit top 6 guy before the deadline.

Edited by EvoLu7ioN, 09 August 2012 - 03:26 PM.

Posted Image

#699 Jake's_Dad

Jake's_Dad

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Not sold on a Bjugstad package. I think he projects to be a solid, 2 way, 2nd line center in a few years, but how does that help us now? Our window to win is 2 years TOPS, after that we will still have a good team, but with likely not elite. The only way I like this deal if if we then trade a prospect or two and our first rounder for a top 6 guy before the deadline.

This is how you stay "elite,"
-formerly known as macvic24

#700 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

In other, more recent news, Venice is sinking.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#701 Blood Fiend

Blood Fiend

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

thats old news.

#702 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

Not sold on a Bjugstad package. I think he projects to be a solid, 2 way, 2nd line center in a few years, but how does that help us now? Our window to win is 2 years TOPS, after that we will still have a good team, but with likely not elite. I understand Gillis has his hands tied a bit here in terms of limited trading parters, so I'd prob take the deal. But then I would trade a prospect or two and our first rounder for a legit top 6 guy before the deadline.

If the last 2 yrs have taught us anything, it's you don't need an 'elite' team to win the Cup. Neither Bos or LA had point per game players. Chicago had 1 the yr before.

Adding Jugs would be a solid addition to the Canucks roster depth at C. I don't buy the whole 'Canucks window' thing. If Sedins retire in a few yrs, Canucks are far from done. Not bashing the Sedins, cause I love them. But they play extremely sheltered mins which means the rest of the lineup has to make up for it. IMO, it's why we don't see the bottom 6 Canucks players with big offensive numbers - they play very difficult mins (comparatively speaking). Canucks have depth on d and goaltending, both on current roster and farm. Adding a solid center would allow them to compete for much longer without rebuilding. Kesler would replace Henrik, Jugs replaces Kesler, and Gaunce would take 3C. That's solid for yrs to come.

#703 SpursCanuck

SpursCanuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

Panthers fans seem to think Keaton Ellerby is part of the Luongo deal if it ever happens.
Posted Image

#704 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Sean Matthius, Florida Panthers. Strapping young 3rd line center.

Can't see Schneids wanting to backup Rask. Schnieds for Lucic, Thomas and 1st?

Boston just hung up the phone.

Schneids would not be backIng up Rask for long. I saw a few games.

I'd just do a simple Schneider for Lucic deal. Nothing fancy.

Edited by GHL, 09 August 2012 - 04:08 PM.

Posted Image

#705 WeWantTheCup33

WeWantTheCup33

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

How could anyone even speak about trading with boston...?

#706 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Schneids would not be backIng up Rask for long. I saw a few games.

Where's all this Boston/Lucic trade stuff coming from?

#707 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,446 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

LOL, I'm sorry but LOL.

Too bad it takes two to tango otherwise this would be a great idea!

Edited by Millerdraft, 09 August 2012 - 04:38 PM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#708 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Matthias helps now by solidifying the middle before and after Kesler returns.

Bjugstad is the kind of center that helps your team for years to come.

It's a no brainer trade.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#709 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

Matthias helps now by solidifying the middle before and after Kesler returns.

Bjugstad is the kind of center that helps your team for years to come.

It's a no brainer trade.

No salary issues in return
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#710 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

No salary issues in return

Yep. You can't say no to this offer, if it's there.

I just hope it is.

#711 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

#712 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

Trying to up your post count?
Posted Image

#713 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

i think if the package that insider is reporting is true the deal would have already been done
Posted Image

#714 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

i think if the package that insider is reporting is true the deal would have already been done

unless Florida wants something else like Raymond... (Im not opposed but I would bet MG is)

#715 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

There could be missing pieces from the report that wasn't mentioned or known, that Gillis could be mulling over. I'd doubt the Luongo would fetch Matthias and Bjugstad, without something or someone else going with Lui.

Tallon ain't no dummy.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 09 August 2012 - 05:58 PM.

#716 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

There could be missing pieces from the report that wasn't mentioned or known, that Gillis could be mulling over. I'd doubt the Luongo would fetch Matthias and Bjugstad, without something or someone else going with Lui.

Tallon ain't no dummy.

Luongo, Hansen, Raymond, 1st for Bjugstad, Matthias & Howden?
Posted Image

#717 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

Tallon ain't no dummy.

Maybe this is how the talk of Edler or Hanson being in the deal got started.

#718 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Well it does say that it was just offered this morning, I'd imagine gillis wouldn't just say DEAL within the first 5 minutes and hang up the phone lol he's probably considering all the logistics of it, and maybe even letting burkie know about the offer ;)

#719 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

If the last 2 yrs have taught us anything, it's you don't need an 'elite' team to win the Cup. Neither Bos or LA had point per game players. Chicago had 1 the yr before.

LA is an elite team. If you look at their lineup, it's actually quite scary. And I'm not just saying this after they won a cup, I posted a topic before the playoffs began about how I thought the kings were going to be an absolute nightmare to defeat. Just think about this, they almost took us to game 7 a year before last (the year we went to the finals and were the favorites to win it all) without Kopitar, Carter, and Richards. Doughty is one of the best D-man in the league, they have one of the most dominant centers in the league in Kopitar, and their goalie just won the vezina and Conn Smythe; and then take into consideration these three guys at 23, 24, and 26 respectively are still getting better. Add onto that a supporting cast of olympians such as Brown, Richards, Carter; and also remember, they are going to get significant pieces back when they trade Bernier. Honestly, given their cap makeup, depth, youth, elite level skill, and prospect pool, LA is going to become a dynasty if they play their cards right. When's the last time a team ran through the playoffs in 20 games (average of 5 games per series)?

If we want to compete, our second line is going to require players better than the likes of Mason Raymond or Chris Higgins.

The only trading pieces of value we have right now are Luongo, Raymond (somewhat), and our first rounder. Guys like Jensen, Connauton, and Lack are worth far more than their current market value. So it's Gillis' job to acquire a legitimate top 6 guy before the deadline. He failed to do this last year at the deadline, and we paid for it in the first round. He has the assets needed to make a big move, he promised this when he took the job of GM, there won't be any excuses this time around.

Edited by EvoLu7ioN, 09 August 2012 - 06:46 PM.

Posted Image

#720 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hockeyy Insiderr's source on this package is probably this thread.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.