Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#181 sirensong87

sirensong87

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Weiss in untouchable unless Kesler is going back, they only have him for a centre. Goc is their next best. MARCEL GOC.

Huberdeau will make the team this year and Fleischmann is also a natural center who can play the wing. Mark Santorelli should be better this yaer as well after a tough sophmore year.

If any GM on any team with Stephen Weiss considered him "untouchable" then that team is in a whole world of hurt. Hes an average 2nd line player on a good team. That should never be considered untouchable. Its like calling Booth untouchable...

Edited by sirensong87, 26 July 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#182 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,030 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

This^

This is what Florida's center depth would look like without Weiss:

Fleischmann
Huberdeau
Matthias
Goc
Mueller

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#183 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Huberdeau will make the team this year and Fleischmann is also a natural center who can play the wing. Mark Santorelli should be better this yaer as well after a tough sophmore year.

If any GM on any team with Stephen Weiss considered him "untouchable" then that team is in a whole world of hurt. Hes an average 2nd line player on a good team. That should never be considered untouchable. Its like calling Booth untouchable...

pretty sure Florida bought out Santorelli

Yea look way back in June: @TSNBobMcKenzie
FLA puts Mike Santorelli on waivers; FLA puts Matt Bradley on unconditional ($125) waivers, presumably for buyout/termination of contract.

Edited by Vlas=d, 26 July 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#184 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Sorry but I disagree - Garrison was the most important position to fill, and if the Canucks were to sign Doan, he is enough for the top six and rounds it out nicely - Daniel, Booth, Burrows and Doan are entirely capable top six wingers imo - not sure who would need to be upgraded upon. In that case, what we need in the short term from the Luongo deal is a big center - preferably young and a two-way player who could move from the 2nd line to the third when Kesler returns. I like Lapierre and Schroeder, but imo a center would be the best addition, and a young right handed blueliner/prospect.
The Canucks have a number of guys improving, and a few of them are on the verge of making the NHL, another thing to consider. Regarding the bottom six it's hard to improve on HIggins and Hansen on the third line, Lapierre centering the fourth - aside from them, the Canucks have Kassian, Volpatti, Weise, Malhotra and Raymond to round out the bottom six, so nothing urgent really, but if they could pry Neil out of Ottawa I'd be ecstatic...

ps. glad the Nash and Weber sagas are over - now we can get to the real news.

However Doan isn't signed.
No real argument with your thinking otherwise.
No way Neil is coming out of Ottawa after the playoffs he had. A player like him would answer a lot of Vancouver needs. I still question who you have on the left side with Kesler and Booth if you are trading Lou for a center. Sign Doan and you drop Burrows to the 3rd? I haven't seen him play the left side.

It will be an interesting couple of weeks.

#185 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

No way Neil is coming out of Ottawa after the playoffs he had. A player like him would answer a lot of Vancouver needs. I still question who you have on the left side with Kesler and Booth if you are trading Lou for a center. Sign Doan and you drop Burrows to the 3rd? I haven't seen him play the left side.

Both burrows and booth are natural left wingers

Posted Image

#186 sirensong87

sirensong87

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

pretty sure Florida bought out Santorelli

Yea look way back in June: @TSNBobMcKenzie
FLA puts Mike Santorelli on waivers; FLA puts Matt Bradley on unconditional ($125) waivers, presumably for buyout/termination of contract.

Fair enough but I also miss Mueller.

Fleischmann
Mueller
Huberdeau
Goc
Matthias
Do they still have Smithson as well?

Weiss is anything but untouchable, they may rather move Fleischmann but Weiss isnt off the table by any means. If anything they need to open up a center ice spot to get Huberdeau in there.

#187 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

In the CAP crazy world where teams are crapting money out for sub par players, weiss is untouchable. 3 million for this guy is a steal we all know it and its his last year at this price. He is a UFA after that and we cannot afford to pay him 4-5 million. With elder and burrows and Shane Doan (if he signs) we will loose weiss as a rental player. Its easy play for me, Shawn Matthais a 1st Jose Theodore for Bobby Lu. I know we are getting robbed its the worst deal ever! The fact is this is what will get a deal done. We will get piece just like cbj got for nash, depth players. We are not going to get any of flordias core players!

Edited by LanghorneslimRules, 26 July 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#188 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,030 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

So we give Florida one of our core players but don't get one of their core players in return?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#189 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

So we give Florida one of our core players but don't get one of their core players in return?

Did you forget how to quote people?

Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!

#190 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,030 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

:lol: No I can't reply properly due to my suspensions

#191 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

It's actually quite amazing how CDC can't agree on Luongo's value. Either he's an elite goalie at a bargain caphit or a glorified overpaid backup with a stupid long contract.

#192 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,030 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

I know. Its quite amusing to see person A and person B bickering over it. To me the Luongo trade will be a Hockey trade. Say X team has a playmaking center or a d man they'd be willing to spare, and that team needs a goalie, and we have that with Luongo.

#193 dangler696969

dangler696969

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

The thing is that he is not a core player anymore, nor does he want to be. Schneider is the core goalie now.

#194 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

Not exactly luo talk but previously I had said that my ball hockey team is playing against Petrovic's team in the playoffs In the previous luongo thread and I was going to give a detailed analysis on his ball hockey skills every guy that I have played against that has been drafted or played some sort of pro hockey usually doesn't play their position Petrovic on the other hand was playing D his stick handling was unreal and he could spring guys like crazy he didn't really shoot much and was an average runner. He wasn't the best player in our games that's for sure. Btw we won series, went the distance and we won 2-1.

#195 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Sign Doan and Burrows still plays right wing in the top six - Doan would be a good fit with either line, as is Burrows.
Booth is Kesler's left winger - Burrows plays right wing with the Sedins, but only because the Canucks have Daniel, Burrows, Booth, Higgins, Raymond - all left wingers - with Hansen being the top natural right winger on the roster - part of what would make signing Doan such a blessing as a power forward on the right wing is just what the lineup needs. Also part of the reason I really like the Kassian deal.
I like Schroeder but if the Canucks sign Doan, I think adding a center becomes the most likely position of interest in a Luongo deal, with Kesler's health an uncertainty.
Regarding Neil - I'd say pay the price to make it happen - a Canucks lineup if he and Doan were added - altogether different level of "pushback."

Edited by oldnews, 27 July 2012 - 12:11 AM.

#196 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#197 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

It's actually quite amazing how CDC can't agree on Luongo's value. Either he's an elite goalie at a bargain caphit or a glorified overpaid backup with a stupid long contract.

I choose option #2, maybe not quite that harsh though.

#198 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

The thing is that he is not a core player anymore, nor does he want to be. Schneider is the core goalie now.

Also, it's been made pretty obvious that we are trying to unload him. Getting any kind of serious player in return seems fairly unlikely IMO.

#199 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

It's really simple.

Scenario A: A team gives in and offers us a deal closer to what he's worth a combo of a top 6 forward/top 4 Dman, blue chip prospect/picks.

Scenario B: Teams continue to try and low ball us, in which case Gillis will have no issues rolling with the 1A 1B system until someone's goaltending system fails, in which case they pay us even more. Make no doubts about it, everybody in the organization will know it's Luongo on the way out and that it will be Schneider in net come April.

The bottom line is, we've owned the prez trophy 2 years in a row, it's done nothing for us. This trade should give us the best chance at winning the cup, so it doesn't make a difference if it happens todday or in October or November.

Edited by EvoLu7ioN, 27 July 2012 - 08:17 AM.

Posted Image

#200 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

It's really simple.

Scenario A: A team gives in and offers us a deal closer to what he's worth a  combo of a top 6 forward/top 4 Dman, blue chip prospect/picks.

Scenario B: Teams continue to try and low ball us, in which case Gillis will have no issues rolling with the 1A 1B system until someone's goaltending system fails, in which case they pay us even more. Make no doubts about it, everybody in the organization will know it's Luongo on the way out and that it will be Schneider in net come April.

The bottom line is, we've owned the prez trophy 2 years in a row, it's done nothing for us. This trade should give us the best chance at winning the cup, so it doesn't make a difference if it happens todday or in October or November.

Great post, patience is the key here. We already have a great team with or without Luongo - Gillis is in no hurry to trade him.

#201 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,136 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

It's a bit of a catch-22. Everyone knows that the Canucks want Shane Doan. By all reports, they're probably going to have to overpay to get him.

If the Canucks took on a core player from Florida in a Luongo trade, they would no longer be able to compete for Doan.

For this reason, I believe that nothing will happen on the Luongo front until the situation with Doan is resolved. If Gillis is able to pull off a Shane Doan deal, then prospects and/or picks is pretty much all we can take from the Panthers.

Personally, I'd be fine with that. Bjugstad and any combination of Howden, Matthias, Ellerby or Petrovic would be fine by me. (We're not getting Huberdeau or Gudbranson)
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#202 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

If we trade for Weiss which i think we should I think we can get away with Raymond,Luo and a 3rd for Weiss Ellerby and a second round pick.Kesler is hurt but when back we wouldnt need Doan as kesler can play rw with booth weiss Kes and can help take faceoff's. We could also trade Manny and ballard any plus Luo should get a deal done and we'd get a better pick thrown in.I just still can't believe people want to wait till season starts or trade deadline as Luo would sit out till a deal is done and who wants to pay him to sit out??Get a trade done and soon MG or get us a GM that will get it done!!!I like MG but a few things he's done makes me think WTF is he doing!!
Posted Image

#203 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

Did you forget how to quote people?

All the haters wanna be you.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#204 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

If we trade for Weiss which i think we should I think we can get away with Raymond,Luo and a 3rd for Weiss Ellerby and a second round pick

You know Weiss is an untouchable unless something significant is coming back in return don't you.
Unless your willing to part with a roster player like Kesler, Burrows, Edler there's not a chance in hell Canucks get Weiss.
Raymond doesn't add any value in a trade and good luck getting a 2nd on top.

As much as I would want to fleece the Panthers, Tallon isn't a retarded GM.

#205 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Luo and Raymond are worth more then Weiss,Weiss as stated by others is an average or bit better center,not an elite player.
Posted Image

#206 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

The only people who think the later is true are those butthurt about not winning game 7 of the stanley cup final. Get over it: 29 teams a year don't win the cup.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#207 FS91

FS91

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Never Knew Ellerby and Doan are first cousins.

wouldn't hurt getting him in the deal and using that as a way to convince Doan to sign here

#208 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Luongo will get traded to Washington or Philly. It's not far to Florida.

#209 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Luo and Raymond are worth more then Weiss,Weiss as stated by others is an average or bit better center,not an elite player.

Raymond Has little to no value, for how much he is paid, I would go as far as saying he is very much a negative asset. I believe he will bounce back but as of today he has not proven he recovered from his extremely horrible back injury

Secondly, I think we are all being a little foolish in saying that Luongo is going to FLA it has been widely speculated and reported through various sources that FLA and VAN havnt discussed Luongo since the begining of July. Because of this I believe 1 of 2 things are happening

1) gillis is waiting for the market to heat up

2) gillis is in discussion with other teams regarding luongo.

Gillis holds his cards tight to his chest, I can honestly say that I don't recall a Gillis based rumour ever coming to fruition. I imagine he is working on a trade just don't assume its with Florida.

Edited by Noheart, 27 July 2012 - 04:02 PM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#210 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,136 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Gillis holds his cards tight to his chest, I can honestly say that I don't recall a Gillis based rumour ever coming to fruition. I imagine he is working on a trade just don't assume its with Florida.

Honestly?

I seem to recall both Hamhuis and Garrison being rumoured....

...and of course the Sundin saga lasted for months...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.