The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Sorry but I lack confidence in what the Canucks have achieved to date. Garrison is the only addition to date. Suggesting a 1st round draft will impact the team this fall is a stretch. Jensen would be a stretch. Signing Doan would be a big deal but not enough to make the Canucks serious CUP contenders considering the upgrading around the league. Gillis has to sign Doan and he has to trade Lou for a 2nd line winger who can impact that line into consistancy. Adding some toughness in the bottom six can be done before the season but the two deals above are a must.

I find it interesting that Doan's tour of potential teams ends in BC. Great place for an annoucement in Kamloops.

Burke doesn't know squat. Overrated IMHO. He left the cupboard bare during time in van... Doing the same in TO.

Anaheim: previous gm did all the work by sucking for so long... anyone can trade for Pronger when u have all those assets to give up. Neidermeyer only cause his brother was there....

Now... Does he know a winner? Yes. Can he gauge talent? No

The leafs need to really rebuild, not through FA and trades, but by drafting. As u say rightly... He doesn't handle assets well. 100% agree. He cannot draft to save his life.

For him givIng up those 2 first picks was probably a relief - cause he would have blown it if he had to pick...

Sorry but I lack confidence in what the Canucks have achieved to date. Garrison is the only addition to date. Suggesting a 1st round draft will impact the team this fall is a stretch. Jensen would be a stretch. Signing Doan would be a big deal but not enough to make the Canucks serious CUP contenders considering the upgrading around the league. Gillis has to sign Doan and he has to trade Lou for a 2nd line winger who can impact that line into consistancy. Adding some toughness in the bottom six can be done before the season but the two deals above are a must.

I find it interesting that Doan's tour of potential teams ends in BC. Great place for an annoucement in Kamloops.

Sorry but I disagree - Garrison was the most important position to fill, and if the Canucks were to sign Doan, he is enough for the top six and rounds it out nicely - Daniel, Booth, Burrows and Doan are entirely capable top six wingers imo - not sure who would need to be upgraded upon. In that case, what we need in the short term from the Luongo deal is a big center - preferably young and a two-way player who could move from the 2nd line to the third when Kesler returns. I like Lapierre and Schroeder, but imo a center would be the best addition, and a young right handed blueliner/prospect.

The Canucks have a number of guys improving, and a few of them are on the verge of making the NHL, another thing to consider. Regarding the bottom six it's hard to improve on HIggins and Hansen on the third line, Lapierre centering the fourth - aside from them, the Canucks have Kassian, Volpatti, Weise, Malhotra and Raymond to round out the bottom six, so nothing urgent really, but if they could pry Neil out of Ottawa I'd be ecstatic...

ps. glad the Nash and Weber sagas are over - now we can get to the real news.

players from the Panthers I'd like to see us get are

Weiss

Matthias

Upshall

Ellerby

Gudbranson

any two of them to help and if Weiss is added then no pick if not add a first or second rounder!!!!

That would make our D and top 3 lines awesome!!!

players from the Panthers I'd like to see us get are

Weiss

Matthias

Upshall

Ellerby

Gudbranson

any two of them to help and if Weiss is added then no pick if not add a first or second rounder!!!!

That would make our D and top 3 lines awesome!!!

I dont think we do, to win a cup we need a bit of help line on D and on second and third lines.If we can sign doan and get Matthias and a big D we are set.getting youth means staying the same as we are and not going for it which with this team we only have a year or two left before most core players will start to slow down!!!!!!I want a cup here and know time is running out so getting young players who may not pan out is not a smart move!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason Garrison is this Summer's best bargain deal. What the hell! look at whats out there next summer for defencemens. Nothin much! I think Jason Garrison last year is as good as someone like Paul Martin. Also look at the other defencemens that weres signed this summer, this Garrison deal is a steal. Mike Gillis continues to find players who play for discounts.

I don`t disagree with the fact that most teams are either unchanged or have made steps backward. The few notable exceptions are Minny, Carolina, and the NYR.

The thing is that the Canucks don`t have many young players who we should expect to be taking a step forward this year (again, with a couple of obvious exceptions). The core guys are all either in their prime or just leaving it. That`s as opposed to teams like Edmonton. I don`t know that the window is closed on the core but somewhere along the line the Canucks will have to start grooming the future.

I think most of the anxiety people are having about the Luongo situation is due to the fact that everyone has been told he will/must be traded. The feeling that if you aren't moving forward then you are moving backward is only heightened by this since there is a belief that the resolution to the Luongo situation should be inevitable and should have some kind of an impact on the team's makeup.

The vibe I have gotten from all the offseason soundbites is that Luongo will not be a Canuck when the season starts. I think Gillis is playing some hardball and he is in no rush to make a bad trade, but I also think that privately the organization has decided that they will not be bringing both goaltenders to camp. That being said, anything can happen if the pieces don't come together.

People should be excited, not anxious. A Luongo trade is not necessary for the team to be competitive next year. However, such a trade will only improve that competitiveness.

Archived