Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Predators Match Offer Sheet To Captain Shea Weber

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
236 replies to this topic

#61 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,924 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Swing and a miss for Philly. Can`t really blame them for trying though.

I wonder if this means Weber`s gonna be in Nashville for the rest of his career.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#62 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

How can people "feel sorry" for Shea Weber?

Oh... Poor, Shea. He has to stay in poopy, old Nashville for at least a year and a day. In that time, he will become a millionaire 40 times over with his signing bonuses for this year and next and this season's salary.

Boo hoo!

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#63 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

IF PHI wants to trade for Weber next year...it'll be at full-value and not just draft picks. I would think it would be a better package than what CBJ got for Nash.

Methinks...the Schenns (Luke and Brayden?), 1st and a top prospect.

#64 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Unbelievable!! Just rebuild already, they could have just shopped the 4 first round picks for better players, or kept them and pulled a Pittsburg or Edmonton and build through the draft.

I feel bad for Weber too, he obviously wanted out, now he's stuck for atleast another year if not more. He can always demand a trade but who would take that contract?

how would keeping 4 bottom 1st round pick help them pull a pittsburgh or Edmonton?? they have multiple back to back to back #1 overall picks.. picking 26-30th ain't going to help you..

#65 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Well, I'm sure the Flyers are.

I think Philly may just have wanted to eliminate the guesswork. Sign him to a deal that will probably get matched, but in doing so you ensure that he won't be on the blueline of a divisional/conference rival. By "losing" out on him now they made him a known quantity and a problem for another conference. They don't have to plan for trying to acquire him next year, or keeping rivals from landing him. Plus it sends good signals to the fans.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#66 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,572 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

BUT SHEA WANTS TO LEAVE..... haha poor him. He wanted a new start, but now signed with the same team for more than a decade now.

Yeah, it's going to be a long season for him and for the Preds. Imagine knowing that your team's captain doesn't want to be there and that he basically forced the organization to match a $110 mill offer for him

Can't they trade him next season though? He's not locked in to the 14 year deal with the Preds is he?
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#67 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

how would keeping 4 bottom 1st round pick help them pull a pittsburgh or Edmonton?? they have multiple back to back to back #1 overall picks.. picking 26-30th ain't going to help you..

It's a really deep draft next year. Who's to say, they can't find someone good at the 26-30 spot? Don't forget that they have their own picks too. Besides, Weber was a 2nd rounder.

Edited by Rey, 24 July 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#68 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Great, now Nashville will be a welfare team and teams like Canucks will have to prop them up.

#69 Canucksh

Canucksh

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Great... now this will bring up the trade Weber to the Canucks again.....

Clearly he wants out of Nashville, so he would most likely be willing to waive a NTC to the Canucks if he wants.

Wonder if the contract has NMC though....

#70 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

confirmed via global tv. nashville matched
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#71 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Gillis was right. The only way to get Weber out of Nashville was to convince him to sign a one-year offer sheet.

Other than the threat of losing him for nothing, there was no way that Nashville was going to let Shea go.

Unfortunately for us, even that option got nerfed when Bettman laid out the intent to raise UFA to players with ten years of NHL service. Even if the NHL only get one extra year of RFA, that means this scenario gets gets "groundhog day"ed until next summer...

Edited by Millerdraft, 24 July 2012 - 12:46 PM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#72 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,314 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Anyone else still mad about Gillis not offer sheeting Weber?

He did. It's been reported that Gillis offered Weber a 1 year, $14M deal. You can't force a guy to take an offer.

It was a smart move. If Weber accepted and Nashville matched, then Weber would have been available as a UFA just one year later. Now, Weber will be locked up for the next 14 years and will only be available via trade.
Posted Image

#73 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,910 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Meanwhile NY jumped on Nash, meaning Philly screwed themselves over on that front while waiting for the Weber match.

Haw-haw!

suffer.gif

#74 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Yeah, it's going to be a long season for him and for the Preds. Imagine knowing that your team's captain doesn't want to be there and that he basically forced the organization to match a $110 mill offer for him

Can't they trade him next season though? He's not locked in to the 14 year deal with the Preds is he?

I hear he has a NTC that would kick in next summer. No confirmation from me. If so, that limits their options. I think Vancouver would undoubtedly be one of those options. However I also imagine that Nashville won't want to move him, in spite of this offer sheet business.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#75 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,314 posts

Unfortunately for us, even that option got nerfed when Bettman laid out the intent to raise UFA to players with ten years of NHL service. Even if the NHL only get one extra year of RFA, that means this scenario gets gets "groundhog day"ed until next summer...

I think that one will get dropped by the time they reach a deal though. I think the kicker was the more likely threat of limiting the length of contracts.
Posted Image

#76 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

Ya. And with 29mil already stripped out, the value becomes even higher. I suspect it would take a signed Edler, 3 first rounders and another prospect ,but then Giilis would have simply offered Weber the Philly deal.
Posted Image

#77 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

Great job Holmgren.
Posted Image

#78 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

shea weber why didn't you wait just 1 more year your stuck with em now

Because the NHL is asking to extend the time before a player becomes UFA to 10 years in the new CBA. Even if they don't get 10 years it's fair to assume they will get a year or two added on.

So therefore Weber would not be UFA next year and miss out on signing this type of contract which will also be banned in the next CBA.

From MG's statements to me it's clear Weber wanted long term financial security over everything else. I don't blame him I'd do the same thing.

#79 Sedinry

Sedinry

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Expected, but you've gotta feel for Weber, being stuck in Nashville until the end of time.

Why ? Their fans are awesome. They have a good Goalie, and they have a GM who wants to win even if he doesnt have all the money in the world.

They played against us pretty well and they had 15M less in Cap

#80 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

Meanwhile NY jumped on Nash, meaning Philly screwed themselves over on that front while waiting for the Weber match.

Haw-haw!

Lol yea but now they're going to focus heavily on Doan

#81 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,924 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

Haw-haw!

And now Philly will probably offer Doan 7.5 mil will a huge signing bonus. They`re desperate now, especially after New York just got Nash.

And New York has enough cap space that they could even go after Doan now too.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#82 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

YES!
This is great news.

And for people feeling sad for Weber saying "he wanted to leave", if he really wanted out that bad, he would not have signed a 14 year deal while it was still very likely Nashville would match the offer.

Exactly. Most likely just wanted a sick contract, and he wouldn't have gotten it though Nashville.
Posted Image

#83 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Yes, so I'm fairly sure on July 25th 2013 he will have a new team, its obvious he wants out

Ummm No. Not a chance, no way NSH trades him after paying him $27 million for one year when all they have to pay him is $1 more million to keep him for another year.

#84 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

And now Philly will probably offer Doan 7.5 mil will a huge signing bonus. They`re desperate now, especially after New York just got Nash.

And New York has enough cap space that they could even go after Doan now too.

It makes me mad :angry:
Posted Image

#85 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

I think that one will get dropped by the time they reach a deal though. I think the kicker was the more likely threat of limiting the length of contracts.

I think the NHL will get a 4-year ELC and 8 or 28 UFA. Other than that, I have no idea what the term limit will be (8-10 years max?), what the revenue split will be or if the NHLPA will get better revenue sharing (doubtful, imo).

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#86 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Because the NHL is asking to extend the time before a player becomes UFA to 10 years in the new CBA. Even if they don't get 10 years it's fair to assume they will get a year or two added on.

So therefore Weber would not be UFA next year and miss out on signing this type of contract which will also be banned in the next CBA.

From MG's statements to me it's clear Weber wanted long term financial security over everything else. I don't blame him I'd do the same thing.

As would I.

#87 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

nice job nashville, i was dreading a philly dream team

Posted Image

#88 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

So, the Canucks can still ge him after 1 year then, right?

:bigblush:
Posted Image

#89 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Unbelievable!! Just rebuild already, they could have just shopped the 4 first round picks for better players, or kept them and pulled a Pittsburg or Edmonton and build through the draft.

I feel bad for Weber too, he obviously wanted out, now he's stuck for atleast another year if not more. He can always demand a trade but who would take that contract?

But picks ranging fro 20 to 30 aren't usually worth much. That's the whole problem - it's not Edmonton where there's still a chance of getting high picks...it's a contending Philly team that has done well these last 4 years and looks to continue their success.

#90 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Sorry, DP

Edited by RyanKeslord17, 24 July 2012 - 01:03 PM.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.