The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6 Signs the Vancouver Canucks' Stanley Cup Window Is Closing

SCVRUSH

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On face value;

Hank > Kopitar, Burrows = Williams, Danny is better than Brown.

Kess (healthy) is = or > Richards but was not healthy and is not healthy, Carter > Booth and Penner > Higgins (certainly in the play off). You could call match ups as draw or a win for us on talent?

But there is an awfully BIG but? Physically Kopitar/Brown/Williams > Hank/Danny/Burrows and Penner/Richards/Carter is also > Kesler/Booth/Higgins. For the record line 3 and 4 also can trump the speed and size of our line 3 and 4. If you are catching the point, the speed and size of L.A. creates match up problems for us as we are constructed. And thats when everyone is healthy.

MG has identified the need to get bigger, and I can only presume introducing "younger" as is also the pitch will help address young legs / vigour (see Adam Henrique and what he offers) extending our window. C'mon MG, lets get that done!

6. Other Teams Are Getting Better

hi-res-146357003_display_image.jpg?1344361365

In the first round of the 2010 playoffs, the Canucks had a tough time with the Los Angeles Kings. Despite the 3-vs-6 matchup, the Canucks fell behind 2-1 in their series before rallying to take the series in six games.

In 2012, the Canucks might have been just as good, but the Kings were a lot better. This time, the matchup was 1-vs-8, but that didn't stop Los Angeles from dominating the series in five games before rolling all the way to the Stanley Cup.

The Kings aren't the only Western Conference rival making big changes. Minnesotaserved noticed that they're a force to be reckoned with when they signed Zach Pariseand Ryan Suter to their $98 million free-agent contracts this summer. Other teams have also been working to improve without dominating the headlines quite so dramatically.

When the new season starts, we'll start to see who has made the most effective adjustments. If the Canucks aren't also getting better, then they're sliding backwards.

By.

Carol Schram

Bleacher Report

I think ours is good, Penner really didn't do much until the playoffs, so who knows how good he will be, Gagne was injured for the season so who know's how good he will be.

I think our top 3 is better than there top 3.

Sedins + Kesler > Kopitar + Carter + Richards

Burrows is probably equal to Williams, maybe better.

Brown is better than Booth, but then we also have Higgins and Hansen who have both been good and could be a good comparison against Penner, Gagne or whoever.

There bottom 6 guys stepped up but ours have shown that we can do that too, so it's not like they are a ton better.

I think our defense is better too I just think there's stepped up at the right time.

I don't believe the window is closing.

I also don't believe the NHL is shifting towards physical play and smothering defence.

I believe the NHL is more unpredictable than ever, and the opinions of the NHL, TSN, and all other speculators including the fans don't matter for much.

Next year's winner could be another defensive team (ex. Kings).

It could be an intimidating, bully-type team (ex. Bruins).

It could be a offensive zone domination team (ex. Canucks).

Or, it could be something else.

The Sedins aren't old (come on, 32?), Kesler's not going to F up his recovery this time, Booth and Kassian know what to expect, Higgins isn't high on drugs / throwing up anymore, Raymond will improve (god knows by how much), Burr is going to be Burr,

Garrison will outplay Salo (I loved the old man, but seriously Garrison is a big upgrade). Edler will regain his form. Bieksa and Hamhuis are solid. Tanev is improving.

Schneider will only get better (and possibly go head-to-head with Lu).

Overall, the team has had a near-full offseason to rest and contemplate. I think we have a great chance this year, key word being chance.

I think we'll make it further than last year, but who wins the Cup among the final 8 is as random as a puck being deflected off 2 men and sliding into the net.

Why does everyone automatically assume Garrison is going to flourish in Vancouver? He's had one good season. I just don't understand why everyone is in love with this guy. 4.6 million for 6 years and he could very well be a bust. I really just hope for the sake of the franchise, that people like him because he's actually good and not because he's from BC. Now we've got like 4 old d-men locked up longterm (who was the genius who thought of that brilliant idea?) and we'll probably end up trading our defensive prospects because they won't want to be bottom 6 players. And if Garrison does end up sucking donkey d*ck we can't trade him cause he's got a no trade clause!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRILLIANT THINKING MANAGEMENT!!!

This better be the year we win it all or I for one am hanging up the jersey for the next decade until we're competitive again.

Why does everyone automatically assume Garrison is going to flourish in Vancouver? He's had one good season. I just don't understand why everyone is in love with this guy. 4.6 million for 6 years and he could very well be a bust. I really just hope for the sake of the franchise, that people like him because he's actually good and not because he's from BC. Now we've got like 4 old d-men locked up longterm (who was the genius who thought of that brilliant idea?) and we'll probably end up trading our defensive prospects because they won't want to be bottom 6 players. And if Garrison does end up sucking donkey d*ck we can't trade him cause he's got a no trade clause!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRILLIANT THINKING MANAGEMENT!!!

This better be the year we win it all or I for one am hanging up the jersey for the next decade until we're competitive again.

+1

I feel the same way

Henrik has 71 points in 95 career playoffs games and has been either above PPG, exactly PPG or close too it in each of the last 4 playoffs.

Daniel has basicly the same stats has Henrik but he only has 64 points in 92 games, and he has also been PPG in the last 4 playoffs aswell like the way I said Henrik was.

Kesler has had 36 points in 53 playoff games, he has been close to PPG in every playoffs, 3 pts in 5 games last year. 19P in 25G in 2011, 10P in 12 G in 2010, then 4P in 10G in 09, so he has been pretty good too and he is so good in other areas that can be just as important.

Burrows hasn't been as good overall (1P in 5G last year, 17P in 25G in '11, 6P in 12G in '10, 4P in 12G in 09) but he is clutch, he has scored in every game that we have eliminated a team since the 09 playoffs other than the Nashville Series, and obvisouly the clutch goals like game 7 in OT, eliminating St.Louis, OT game 2 SCF, opening the scoring in big games like game 5 WCF, so he is a good playoff player aswell.

And Carter wasn't even that impressive, his preformance was overrated, he had some big goals but wasn't a huge producer for them.

But anyways about us, I think they have proven they are capable.

I dont think he does have a NTC does he?

And I'm not sure why he wont be as good like think about it?

His shot wont get any lighter, he won't get any smaller, he won't loose that ability, he still will have the speed and if anything will be faster, he will still have the same ability so I'm not sure why he wont be good?

Its the same thing with Ballard, he still has the ability he has shown in the past he just needs to be able to have the freedom to play his game, but that's another topic I wont go into right now, but really Garrison isn't getting any worse, he's in his prime or coming into it so I like the move.

It says...

In the first round of the 2010 playoffs, the Canucks had a tough time with the Los Angeles Kings. Despite the 3-vs-6 matchup, the Canucks fell behind 2-1 in their series before rallying to take the series in six games.

Then...

In 2012, the Canucks might have been just as good, but the Kings were a lot better. This time, the matchup was 1-vs-8, but that didn't stop Los Angeles from dominating the series in five games before rolling all the way to the Stanley Cup.

Yeah so Carol got it right. 2010 = 3 vs 6 matchup, 2012 = 1 vs 8 matchup. Where's the problem with that?

stupid article on top of a stupid poll. MOst teals windows are natually closing because their players are getting older. This is a given at least to the top 10 NHL teams right now. No point crying and whinning about it. Gillis is doing his best to do whats best for the team. He even went did something no gm's would do, which was offer Weber a 14 million dollar 1 year contract.

Archived