The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doan/Sundin w.r.t. Kassian/Kesler.

The Nuckist

I am not sure if this is a shared opinion or just my own but Kesler became the Selke winning, 41 goal scoring, premier center because of his time playing with Sundin. He was never projected to be what he is today but bringing in the perfect mentor for him made all the difference.

Now there already is a million posts/articles about what signing Doan would do for our cup chances and whether or not it would be worth that 4 yr 30 million dollar price tag. Instead, I thought we could get a discussion going about whether or not Doan would have the same effect on Kassian's development as Sundin had on Kesler's? And if so, how much does that investment in our future factor into your opinion on the rumored offer Gillis has made to Doan?

Heard this a million times - that Sundin was responsible for so many players' development.

Imo, if anyone deserves that credit it was Trevor Linden. He was the guy whose return coincided with young players developing a two-way game - Linden lead by example, checked his ego at the entrance, accepted being a role player, and worked his butt off late in his career. Seems to me I remember a lot of frustration that Sundin came here out of shape and spent his time off in Whistler. Not sure what kind of example that set, but as great as he was as a Laff, he was unimpressive in Vancouver.

I imagine Doan would be a positive example for Kassian, but that is not the principle reason to go out and sign him - and Kassian will develop regardless. The Canucks need Doan for the present - to be the power forward he has been throughout his career - his effect on the future of the franchise is an intangible.

I get so sick and tired of hearing all the credit go to Sundin for players like Kesler breaking out and becoming the players they are today. Has Kesler ever said this in public or something? Honestly, where does this come from? My guess is it comes from TML fans because it is absolutely ridiculous to give him any credit without any evidence whatsoever.

As for Doan... hindsight is all I have to say. And this goes for any player that is ever signed ie. Nash with Rangers. The old cliche saying works in this instance "you win some, you lose some." Only time will tell, so maybe it's about time we relax, wait for some hockey (please let there be hockey this year) and let time tell.

Heard this a million times - that Sundin was responsible for so many players' development.

Imo, if anyone deserves that credit it was Trevor Linden. He was the guy whose return coincided with young players developing a two-way game - Linden lead by example, checked his ego at the entrance, accepted being a role player, and worked his butt off late in his career. Seems to me I remember a lot of frustration that Sundin came here out of shape and spent his time off in Whistler. Not sure what kind of example that set, but as great as he was as a Laff, he was unimpressive in Vancouver.

I imagine Doan would be a positive example for Kassian, but that is not the principle reason to go out and sign him - and Kassian will develop regardless. The Canucks need Doan for the present - to be the power forward he has been throughout his career - his effect on the future of the franchise is an intangible.

I get so sick and tired of hearing all the credit go to Sundin for players like Kesler breaking out and becoming the players they are today. Has Kesler ever said this in public or something? Honestly, where does this come from? My guess is it comes from TML fans because it is absolutely ridiculous to give him any credit without any evidence whatsoever.

As for Doan... hindsight is all I have to say. And this goes for any player that is ever signed ie. Nash with Rangers. The old cliche saying works in this instance "you win some, you lose some." Only time will tell, so maybe it's about time we relax, wait for some hockey (please let there be hockey this year) and let time tell.

The Sedins have stated that they learned a lot from Sundin in the short time that he was here. I know that a lot of people won't agree with me on this but even Mark Messier helped some players while he was here. Anytime that you can add a player that has been a leader on the ice and in the room, the team benefits in some way.

I think the way that Doan plays the game and the leadership that he provides will help most of the team, including the Sedins and Kesler. Sign him.

WRT stands for "with respect to" and seems to be used incorrectly here.

Back on topic: Kassian's a few years younger (in development) than Kesler and the Sedins were at the time Sundin was signed. Also, Kassian isn't a mainstay in the NHL, and I doubt he and Doan will play with each other, be it the fact that both are right wingers and that Doan hasn't even signed with anyone yet.

There is a difference IMO with the Sedins "learning a lot from Sundin" with regards to leadership, compared to becoming atheltic superstars in the NHL. Same goes for Kes. He may have "learnt a lot" from Sundin, but Sundin is in no way responsible for turning Kesler into a Selke winning, 41 goal scoring beast. If it were the case what would Sundin have said to kes "play the opposite of how i play Kes, backcheck and skate your arse off!" ?? Manny learnt a lot from The Great One, did it turn him into a 92 goal scoring and 215 point in one season player? I think not. It helped turn him into a great leader, but the OP remarked (as well do others) that their athletic abilities are due to Sundin... barf!

There is a difference IMO with the Sedins "learning a lot from Sundin" with regards to leadership, compared to becoming atheltic superstars in the NHL. Same goes for Kes. He may have "learnt a lot" from Sundin, but Sundin is in no way responsible for turning Kesler into a Selke winning, 41 goal scoring beast. If it were the case what would Sundin have said to kes "play the opposite of how i play Kes, backcheck and skate your arse off!" ?? Manny learnt a lot from The Great One, did it turn him into a 92 goal scoring and 215 point in one season player? I think not. It helped turn him into a great leader, but the OP remarked (as well do others) that their athletic abilities are due to Sundin... barf!

Doan is had alot of injury's over the last few years and age is the other i think that we should work on our younger players to step up also kesler with his trying to be the tough guy. time for him to show everyone that the real skills he has

Archived