93 replies to this topic

#1 nitti999

nitti999

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

This new CBA negotiations may end this team and what it may do in the future. The league is pushing for salary cap numbers in the 50 million range. Yes this may add to parody in the league but what does that do to dominate markets like this one. It ruins it. Our fans sell out there arenas and should be rewarded for it by spending money for the best team. Instead Bet,an is pushing for increased revenue sharing and lowering the salary cap below 60 mil. Even the players union offer which has been outright rejected lowers the cap. Dreams of adding to our core are not going to happen. Instead we will need to subtract players.

Indeed this could be the end of the team we know and love.

I really hope I am wrong, but it doesn't seem that way

#2 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

POPULAR

salary would be rollback to fit the cap.......

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#3 Red-Haired_Shanks

Red-Haired_Shanks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

this
NHL! WHY YOU LOCKOUT!

#4 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

POPULAR

As soon as I saw something about bettman ruining our team, I had to see the amount of BS and stupidity associated with this thread.
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#5 JPizzle

JPizzle

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

POPULAR

the question should be - is he ruining the league?

#6 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

Betman is a flatout horrible comissioner....

.... but it doesn't matter how bad he is, we can't blame him for not having a cup.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#7 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

how so?

do you mean a players salary (ex. KB3 at $4.6 M) would be rolled back a certain percent (ex. $4.6 is rolled back to $4.0)?
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#8 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

It will ruin all the markets that spend near the cap. To recover $15-20M in salary to get under the cap, players like Crosby, Malkin, Weber, Sedin, Sedin, Ovechkin, Chara, Staal and others will have to be sent to the AHL for the duration of the new CBA; likely the rest of their careers.

Sad.

#9 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,023 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

how so?

do you mean a players salary (ex. KB3 at $4.6 M) would be rolled back a certain percent (ex. $4.6 is rolled back to $4.0)?

I don't know how salary 'rollbacks' work, but if I had to take a guess (like your's) I'd say a percentage of a players' salary cap is rolled back to make it fit under the cap so like

Daniel Sedin: Salary - $6.1 = Rollback = $5.5

Maybe something like that

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#10 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

POPULAR

this may add to parody in the league

Are you sure it isn't satire?
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#11 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

POPULAR

A rollback would mean every player takes the same percentage cut in pay say 24% so it would not result in players being sent to the minors.

The problem isn't the salaries. The problem is a system where poor hockey markets are subsidized by fans and owners of strong markets in order to bring parity to the league. This is how you end up with teams in cities who can't spell "hockey" surviving (not flourishing) and actually having a chance to compete for the cup. The system also rewards owners that spend the minimum and have no intention of icing a winning team, only one that can compete some nights.

Bottom line, no dynasties, and a watered down product pandering to the non-hockey fans in the southern states. Avid fans may never see their team win the cup while movie stars and coutnry singers who only show up during the playoffs for the photo opportunities will.

All in the name of profits for the owners.

#12 canucks411

canucks411

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Yeah on a 24% cut the owners are asking for the Sedins would be making $4,636,000 per year.

However I mean that was initial offer of course league was/is willing to budge, maybe 12-15%.

At the end of the day I don't care how much anyone is making, I just want to watch hockey again!
Posted Image
Thanks Ballard_4 for the sig!

#13 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

This new CBA negotiations may end this team and what it may do in the future. The league is pushing for salary cap numbers in the 50 million range. Yes this may add to parody in the league but what does that do to dominate markets like this one. It ruins it. Our fans sell out there arenas and should be rewarded for it by spending money for the best team. Instead Bet,an is pushing for increased revenue sharing and lowering the salary cap below 60 mil. Even the players union offer which has been outright rejected lowers the cap. Dreams of adding to our core are not going to happen. Instead we will need to subtract players.

If the salary gets reduced by 26% (like the owners are requesting) Then all salarys in the NHL will also get rolled back by 26% Everything will be proportional.

So if a player made $1,000,000 last season they would make just under $750,000 this season for the remainder of his contract.

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#14 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

OP please read one of the other CBA related threads and gain some knowledge on the subject. After doing so you should realise this thread is unnecessary.

One of the reasons is you will find numerous members say similar things to what your OP says. Then you will go on to read responses to those posts and be introduced to the concept of salary roll-backs and how it works.

Edited by WHL rocks, 16 August 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#15 Tits J. McGee

Tits J. McGee

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Ya I would believe it would go something like this.

Say the cap is 70.2M right now.

It gets cut back to 50M.

50M is 71.2% of 70.2M.

So each players contract would be reduced to 71.2% of their standing contract.

Sedins - 71.2% of current 6.1M contract would equal a new contract of 4.3M
All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy.

#16 tigbond

tigbond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

The problem isn't the salaries. The problem is a system where poor hockey markets are subsidized by fans and owners of strong markets in order to bring parity to the league. This is how you end up with teams in cities who can't spell "hockey" surviving (not flourishing) and actually having a chance to compete for the cup. The system also rewards owners that spend the minimum and have no intention of icing a winning team, only one that can compete some nights.

Bottom line, no dynasties, and a watered down product pandering to the non-hockey fans in the southern states. Avid fans may never see their team win the cup while movie stars and coutnry singers who only show up during the playoffs for the photo opportunities will.

All in the name of profits for the owners.

#17 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

Who wants the NHL to be like MLB?

I actually like the idea of having no cap, it would be great for us because we would be able to acquire a lot of great players. Sure there are a lot of negatives like overpaying for players by a lot, but teams would be at a more equal level (spending wise, unless your Phoenix or New Jersey).
Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Brad Marchand

Brad Marchand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hah.

It amazes me how many people can't tell the difference between parity and parody.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Luc Bourdon & Rick Rypien: Forever Canucks

#19 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

Yeah on a 24% cut the owners are asking for the Sedins would be making $4,636,000 per year.

However I mean that was initial offer of course league was/is willing to budge, maybe 12-15%.

At the end of the day I don't care how much anyone is making, I just want to watch hockey again!

So let's say it is about 20%, so the Sedin play for about $5mil. The agent's take is about 10% so down to $4.5 mil then you take income tax in BC for that kind of salary (if the are taxed in sweden for some of it is even higher) is about 43% which leaves a net of about $2.5 million a year. Great money but not quite the $6 million + that people have in their mind. And this is over a carreer of about 15 years for top players. A doctor can make $600- 700,000 a year for 40 years. Just to put things in perspective. On the other hand, NHL revenues last year were $3.3 billion, total. In comparison, profits (not revenues, profits) for the Royal Bank alone are around $6.5 billion a year. This gives you an idea of the size of the hockey business- small, very small potatoes.

#20 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hyuk Hyuk. You sir bring a certain level of parity to this thread.

#21 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

Beat me to it. +1 :)

#22 ilovekevinbieksa

ilovekevinbieksa

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

so basically every team has to get rid of their best players.

bettman's a b****
Posted Image (One duplicate gif removed by mod to meet size limitations)

#23 devil_nuk

devil_nuk

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

well it was 24 percent last time to end the lockout. And now they want them to cut another 24 percent well that leaves them 52 percent. maybe owners should also take the same cut???

from what i have watched on tns is that they basically though the players out without even reading there perposal at all BETMAN needs to go >>>> out to pasture

#24 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

Is this the end of competent people making threads on CDC? Has nitti999 ruined our forum?

Try doing research on your topic before you decide to talk about it.

Posted Image

#25 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yes this may add to parody in the league

lol :picard:

You'd do well to do a little research on the topic before making ridiculous threads like this. I'm no supporter of Bettman, to be sure, but to claim that he's ruining this team is a bit melodramatic, no?

RIP LB RR PD

#26 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

To be honest, with the exception of luongo, we don't have any retardculas contracts like some of the other teams do at this point, Gillis has silently set himself up for this outcome.
A 20,000,000 rollback like the owners want would be catastrophic without a doubt but it will be better in the end, I would much sooner see a league built by the draft than a league built with greed.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#27 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

the question should be - is he ruining the league?

Posted Image

#28 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,931 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

Betman is a flatout horrible comissioner....

.... but it doesn't matter how bad he is, we can't blame him for not having a cup.

Wouldn't it be the owners that are horrible? Bettman simply does their bidding.
Posted Image

#29 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,931 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

Who wants the NHL to be like MLB?

I actually like the idea of having no cap, it would be great for us because we would be able to acquire a lot of great players. Sure there are a lot of negatives like overpaying for players by a lot, but teams would be at a more equal level (spending wise, unless your Phoenix or New Jersey).

So you preferred watching the Wings and Avs duke it out year after year for most of a decade? That's the problem with no cap. The teams willing to overspend are the ones competing year after year while the teams with a budget develop players for them. Might as well go back to a six team league and be done with it.
Posted Image

#30 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

So Bettman's $8m salary would be rolled back to $6m right?

Oh Jeez sometimes I even crack myself up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.