The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB Thread- 2014 Season

gmen81

After ARod yelled "Mine!" at Howie Clark of the Jays then denied it, I lost all respect for him (all 2 ounces of respect I had for him). Was hoping he would break Bonds' all-time homerun record but could care less now.

As for the Yankees, with the way they throw around money, they deserve more lemons like ARod.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a little surprising to me that they would make this move now actually, but perhaps part of it is to send a message. They had two more seasons of him under contract (though the new contract pays him basically the same amount over the next two years as he would've made), and if they didn't start to improve he could've been an extremely valuable trade asset. Probably trying to show the league that they're planning a move out of the basement, but they're also in what was arguably the best division in baseball last year, so good luck to them. Though perhaps adding the Astros in will help the Mariners a little bit. I like the Morse and Morales pickups, and there's some really good pitching in the pipeline that's probably ready now (eg: Hultzen), but I don't see them passing any of the Angels, Rangers or A's this year.

It's a little surprising to me that they would make this move now actually, but perhaps part of it is to send a message. They had two more seasons of him under contract (though the new contract pays him basically the same amount over the next two years as he would've made), and if they didn't start to improve he could've been an extremely valuable trade asset. Probably trying to show the league that they're planning a move out of the basement, but they're also in what was arguably the best division in baseball last year, so good luck to them. Though perhaps adding the Astros in will help the Mariners a little bit. I like the Morse and Morales pickups, and there's some really good pitching in the pipeline that's probably ready now (eg: Hultzen), but I don't see them passing any of the Angels, Rangers or A's this year.

The Mariners division is just too good to see them improve standings-wise this year. BUT I wouldn't be surprised if they're one of the more exciting teams this year. Something about games at Safeco...they're just so...fun.

The Mariners division is just too good to see them improve standings-wise this year. BUT I wouldn't be surprised if they're one of the more exciting teams this year. Something about games at Safeco...they're just so...fun.

Well they have the Astros to shore up the rear a little so at least they'll be out of the basement.

Games at Safeco are a lot of fun, but I have to say that seeing the Giants at AT&T is probably better right now. Can't wait for the season to begin.

729277658.jpg?key=25921936&Expires=1361047510&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=YBWj1JqFTKzudfGxA~YB3TLyQnO3e4d1BBGz3Px27xS6UCgjRT4oCSjvjkzl-tomC5YpuB~41YlFDFUo5hBTT8m7BdVNtO9xPr0EQ6CPnTXlHHD0Y3tEaakAFIksVOrSYze-EOD~1oGpSqONi7I29fZ2I-b~-xLtRagauyx~3AM_

This is the line for Marlins tickets 30 minutes before they went on sale, photo taken from the twitter feed of team beat writer Joe Capozzi. I guess that tells you what you need to know about the state of baseball in Miami. Meanwhile, the Toronto Blue Jays (maybe they should be called the Marjays) have sold out their home opener.

729277658.jpg?key=25921936&Expires=1361047510&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=YBWj1JqFTKzudfGxA~YB3TLyQnO3e4d1BBGz3Px27xS6UCgjRT4oCSjvjkzl-tomC5YpuB~41YlFDFUo5hBTT8m7BdVNtO9xPr0EQ6CPnTXlHHD0Y3tEaakAFIksVOrSYze-EOD~1oGpSqONi7I29fZ2I-b~-xLtRagauyx~3AM_

This is the line for Marlins tickets 30 minutes before they went on sale, photo taken from the twitter feed of team beat writer Joe Capozzi. I guess that tells you what you need to know about the state of baseball in Miami. Meanwhile, the Toronto Blue Jays (maybe they should be called the Marjays) have sold out their home opener.

In an hour, according to The Score.

As much as we westerners dislike the center of the universe, it's actually a pretty good time to be a sports fan in T.O.

Grey Cup champions, The Leafs currently in a playoff position, the Raptors somehow manage to land Rudy Gay, amking them relevant again and tremendous excitement at the prospects for the Jays this season.

Isn't most home openers for the Jays sold out? Probably not this fast though. It will be interesting to see if they continue to sell out with the new players they now have.

I'm honestly not sure, however, I'd have to think that attendance at Jays' games will be better this year than it has been since the early 90's.

The graphic they showed on the score showed attendance at Skydome anywhere from 18th in the league to 26th, for the past 8 years...

Last year's Jays attendance averaged 25,921, good for 23rd in the league. However, owing to their large capacity, that represents only 52.6% of maximum (which itself seems a little low, as they probably fix the official capacity lower than their capacity for football). That was still a notable increase from 2011 where they had only 22,445, putting them 25th. Their attendance had bottomed out in 2010 (less than 21,000/game), but that was after a period of stronger attendance in the 29,000 range in the late 00's, during the "height" of the Halladay/Burnett/Wells/Rios era. It might be a stretch for the Jays to jump into the top half of the league in attendance (15th last year was Atlanta, 30,000/game), but they could come close to that benchmark.

I'd like to go see the Jays this year, they're in San Francisco for interleague in early June. Might be fun to see RA Dickey (though I got stuck seeing Wakefield a couple of times and found it pretty lousy).

Brian Wilson is damaged goods. I think people are pretty happy with Sergio Romo as El Beardo, and he's actually able to stay on the field. Interestingly, I heard someone mention that Brian Wilson is a part owner of the bowling alley across from the stadium. Seems like a smart investment, that place is always packed especially after games. (Note: it's more like a bowling night club than a typical bowling alley, full of young well dressed people etc, one of the best places in the ballpark area to pick up.)

Archived