222 replies to this topic

#61 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

I agree, and it's the image I have in mind when these ultra vocal "spend my day talking about religion and heavy metal" dudes externalize their bitterness on this forum. The image, accurate or not (I don't care), neuters their posts completely, and the "satanic" imagery that book ends all of their posts (avatar, sig, etc.) acts as the icing on the sterile cake.

You give yourself too much credit.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#62 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

I agree, and it's the image I have in mind when these ultra vocal "spend my day talking about religion and heavy metal" dudes externalize their bitterness on this forum. The image, accurate or not (I don't care), neuters their posts completely, and the "satanic" imagery that book ends all of their posts (avatar, sig, etc.) acts as the icing on the sterile cake.

If I throw a stick, will you go away?
Posted Image

#63 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Doesn't affect us. Nothing we ever do can change this. Why worry about it?
Posted Image

#64 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Doesn't affect us. Nothing we ever do can change this. Why worry about it?

This is the kind of complacent attitude that I absolutely cannot stand. You're essentially saying that even though there's an incredible violation of human rights and more specifically the rights of underage children we shouldn't concern ourselves with it? I'd had more respect for you coming out and defending it than making this kind of comment. I'd still think you were a sick bastard, but at least I'd know where you stand. As it is, you've taken the indifference stance, and that's even more dangerous thinking.
Posted Image

#65 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,398 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

Being a Christian who's belief in the religion is hanging by a thread, I have to give credit to Slaytanic, Sharpshooter, etc for speaking their minds out. For too long in society have people willfully kept their voices to a silence or have been forcefully suppressed by authoritative bodies such as the government, corporations, the church, etc. The aforementioned members here have strong opinions and have the right to express them and quite frankly, it creates a good discussion most of the time.

However, I do believe in many cases the bitterness as you said in many of their posts just pisses people off, including myself. This "I don't care what you think, this is my opinion" attitude just makes others frustrated and all it does is add fuel to the fire. Go ahead, criticize religion all day. As long as you have constructive, well-thought out opinions (which all of you do), then go for it, it creates a good discussion. But when you're adding that bitter and distasteful tone, it just breaks down your credibility and the entire discussion along with it.

It just gets to the point where I find that some of you are just looking for opportunities to pounce on and attack religion. That's just outright immature.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan, 18 August 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#66 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

As I stated before, this is not about religion, just as the thread is not about religion, it's about humanity, and the indecency of subjecting little 7,8, 9 and 10 year old girls to a marriage and sex before they are even old enough to understand it yet.
Posted Image

#67 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,648 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

"It's not about religion... buuuut..."
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#68 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

"It's not about religion... buuuut..."

"buuuut..." nothing. it's not about religion, it's about human rights. learn to read.
Posted Image

#69 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

This is the kind of complacent attitude that I absolutely cannot stand. You're essentially saying that even though there's an incredible violation of human rights and more specifically the rights of underage children we shouldn't concern ourselves with it? I'd had more respect for you coming out and defending it than making this kind of comment. I'd still think you were a sick bastard, but at least I'd know where you stand. As it is, you've taken the indifference stance, and that's even more dangerous thinking.

Well, he has a point. What are you going to do about it? Nothing. What could you do about it? Also nothing. It's understandable why this rustles your jimmies, and other people too, of course. However, as he said there's nothing you can do to change this so there's no real point of getting worked up over it.
Posted Image

#70 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,648 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

"buuuut..." nothing. it's not about religion, it's about human rights. learn to read.

Not that anyone's really blaming religion, but I disagree with this not being about Islam.

You're right though, this has nothing to do with religion, it has to do with some nobody journalist writing for a nothing website on an otherwise undocumented problem, and people on this (and other forums) using it as a justification for their prejudices
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#71 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,943 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

POPULAR

Your Monicer is quite approporiate. You would have made (do make) a good Nazi.

Wow...

Just wow...

When all else fails and you got nothing left in the tank...Godwin to the rescue. When you only have that one last scoop at the bottom of the barrel of ridiculousness.

Between that and Glassjaw reeling in with nothing on the line this thread turned out pretty ok.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#72 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

Well, he has a point. What are you going to do about it? Nothing. What could you do about it? Also nothing. It's understandable why this rustles your jimmies, and other people too, of course. However, as he said there's nothing you can do to change this so there's no real point of getting worked up over it.

"Indifference, to me, is the epitome of evil."

Elie Wiesel
Posted Image

#73 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

Wow...

Just wow...

When all else fails and you got nothing left in the tank...Godwin to the rescue. When you only have that one last scoop at the bottom of the barrel of ridiculousness.

Between that and Glassjaw reeling in with nothing on the line this thread turned out pretty ok.

Yeah what else do you expect from a guy with "ass" right in the middle of his user name?
Posted Image

#74 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Wow...

Between that and Glassjaw "reeling in with nothing on the line" this thread turned out pretty ok.

TOO damn funny .. great line .. great line, indeed .. :lol:
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

#75 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,648 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Guess that's a self-portrait then, eh? You really should look into some Slim-Fast and a tube of Clearasil for that.

HAHAHAHAHA that's a laugh riot...you really should go into standup.

Yeah what else do you expect from a guy with "ass" right in the middle of his user name?

a dazzling display of wit
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#76 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

a trolling poster-child
Posted Image

#77 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Have to disagree. That's just a cop out for the non-religious. Good and evil is in every human. The choice of which way to go has little to do with religion. Lots of "good" people do horrible things in certain circumstances.

This is just another case of pointing a finger at an identifiable group to make oneself feel superior. Pretty much what I said before.

You're certainly free to disagree if you'd like. I don't believe it's a 'cop-out'. Weinberg's point is exactly that. The choice of which way to go, morally, has nothing to do with religion, as we have 'good' and 'evil' in us all. When we do good things, we are good people....and that goodness resulted from the wellspring of goodness inherently within us. When we do evil things, we are evil people....and that evilness resulted from the wellspring of evilness inherently within us.

However, as Weinberg notes, that when people do things, let's say, persecute gays, assassinate doctors and bomb abortion clinics, ram fully loaded and fully fueled jumbo jets into office buildings, marry 9 year olds in order to have sexual relations with them, persecute women for being possessed by demons or the devil for being outspoken and independent, or whatever else they deem her to meet the standards of witchcraft over the years, chop off the tips of little boys' penises, chop off bits of genitalia off little girls, and many other things we would normally call 'evil', and do it because they believe it is 'good' and 'right' and 'righteous' then it can, among other things, require a set of beliefs and dogma that a person truly believes has come from a true divine source.....aka religion, in order to commit those evil acts.

That's not a cop out at all, it's unvarnished reality.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 18 August 2012 - 03:45 PM.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#78 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

And last I checked, I'm entitled to my opinion. If you don't like it, go create your own message board and just agree with yourself all day.
Posted Image

#79 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,943 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

POPULAR

As opposed to what? Your contribution? The great Nazi comparisons? I mean I'm sorry but really how is any of that any worse than posting a picture of a fat goth chick?

Not saying it's much better but if you were going for wit you haven't provided much of an outlet for it.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 18 August 2012 - 04:10 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#80 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,943 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

You're certainly free to disagree if you'd like. I don't believe it's a 'cop-out'. Weinberg's point is exactly that. The choice of which way to go, morally, has nothing to do with religion, as we have 'good' and 'evil' in us all. When we do good things, we are good people....and that goodness resulted from the wellspring of goodness inherently within us. When we do evil things, we are evil people....and that evilness resulted from the wellspring of evilness inherently within us.

However, as Weinberg notes, that when people do things, let's say, persecute gays, assassinate doctors and bomb abortion clinics, ram fully loaded and fully fueled jumbo jets into office buildings, marry 9 year olds in order to have sexual relations with them, persecute women for being possessed by demons or the devil for being outspoken and independent, or whatever else they deem her to meet the standards of witchcraft over the years, chop off the tips of little boys' penises, chop off bits of genitalia off little girls, and many other things we would normally call 'evil', and do it because they believe it is 'good' and 'right' and 'righteous' then it can, among other things, require a set of beliefs and dogma that a person truly believes has come from a true divine source.....aka religion, in order to commit those evil acts.

That's not a cop out at all, it's unvarnished reality.

1. Foreskin is not the penis.

2. To say this creates an implication be it intended or not. The implication largely comes from the word "required" and I don't think is really the case at all. It imply's that people who don't have religion/belief in a divine source are not capable of these things. I don't think what you've said is wrong but it certainly isn't an absolute.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#81 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

I wish I didn't come across this thread. I really wish I didn't know about this. It's quite disturbing.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#82 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

1. Foreskin is not the penis.

2. To say this creates an implication be it intended or not. The implication largely comes from the word "required" and I don't think is really the case at all. It imply's that people who don't have religion/belief in a divine source are not capable of these things. I don't think what you've said is wrong but it certainly isn't an absolute.

Fair enough...genitalia then.

I don't think it says that people aren't capable of those acts, at all. In fact, he clearly says that people are capable of doing 'evil' things. And I didn't really 'say' it, I forwarded it with an elaboration to its meaning.

The point perhaps that you're missing is that in order to commit an 'evil' act, such as an act of martyrdom, whereby you blow yourself up in order to kill people, and believe that you will receive supernatural reward for your act, which implies it is therefore a 'good' act, requires the type of dogma associated with a religion, in order to commit the act.

Being a 'martyr' is by definition primarily a religious act. It's not to say a person can't sacrifice themselves for a principle. It's not an absolute requirement that an evil act requires a religious motivation, nor do I or did I argue it was. However, sacrificing yourself while taking out other innocent lives with a suicide vest, isn't generally a secular martyr's modus operandi, now is it?

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#83 Midnight Express

Midnight Express

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Really?? Any country allowing this type of behaviour for whatever reason is sick beyond belief, marriage with a child is just plain wrong on all levels of reason. its basically legalized child sex, anyone who needs to have sex with a child needs help in a big way, and if they are beyond help there is chemical castration (last resort).

#84 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#85 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,648 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

As opposed to what? Your contribution? The great Nazi comparisons? I mean I'm sorry but really how is any of that any worse than posting a picture of a fat goth chick?

Not saying it's much better but if you were going for wit you haven't provided much of an outlet for it.

Collect your torches everyone. Your champion is here!

I don't know, nor care about, the nazi comparison. That guy did, however, make the most vital point in this thread (which I shamelessly echoed): the news story provided doesn't seem credible at all, and when you search it yourself, you'll find very, very little support (except, ironically, on some Christian "news" site). When these dudes start parroting their exhausting tirade against religion, as is the case in every second thread on this godforsaken (get it?) website, while also dribbling out comments that are so obvious that it makes me wonder why they even post them in the first place, someone needs to liven things up.

Intention matters! If you fail to see the "wit" in my ability to derail these nerds (regrettably, their most suitable title, given the restrictions of my immature vocabulary) from their drawn out attack against "The Irrational," then that's fine. But I don't think there has to be answer to the "opposed to what?" portion of your question, especially since I achieved exactly what I've aimed to do, and thanks goes--in part--to you!

p.s. I thought it was a guy

Edited by GLASSJAW, 18 August 2012 - 05:47 PM.

Posted Image
le temps restitué

#86 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

Spoiler

Intention matters! If you fail to see the "wit" in my ability to derail these nerds (regrettably, their most suitable title, given the restrictions of my immature vocabulary) from their drawn out attack against "The Irrational," then that's fine. But I don't think there has to be answer to the "opposed to what?" portion of your question, especially since I achieved exactly what I've aimed to do, and thanks goes--in part--to you!

As per usual, you give yourself far too much credit....but if that's what you need to satisfy something lacking in your self-esteem department....knock yourself out.....

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#87 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

I, for one, am appalled that the Islamic press has not made this their clarion call for action!! .. much like the Catholic press did when the "altar-boy-buggery" stories were prevalent .. (sarcasm alert) .. what in the name of Hades do you expect from a muzzled press??

#88 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,054 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

I, for one, am appalled that the Islamic press has not made this their clarion call for action!! .. much like the Catholic press did when the "altar-boy-buggery" stories were prevalent .. (sarcasm alert) .. what in the name of Hades do you expect from a muzzled press??

I don't think anyone is asking for Islamic press to pick up the story to confirm its legitimacy. Something more reputable than a blog post referencing a Christian news source in Iran would be nice, though.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#89 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

Collect your torches everyone. Your champion is here!

I don't know, nor care about, the nazi comparison. That guy did, however, make the most vital point in this thread (which I shamelessly echoed): the news story provided doesn't seem credible at all, and when you search it yourself, you'll find very, very little support (except, ironically, on some Christian "news" site). When these dudes start parroting their exhausting tirade against religion, as is the case in every second thread on this godforesaken (get it?) website, while also dribbling out comments that are so obvious that it makes me wonder why they even post them in the first place, someone needs to liven things up.

p.s. I thought it was a guy

Posted Image

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#90 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

I don't think anyone is asking for Islamic press to pick up the story to confirm its legitimacy. Something more reputable than a blog post referencing a Christian news source in Iran would be nice, though.

I'd look to "wiccan-leaks" for insight, but apparently they got busted for public urination .. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.