The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article: NHL wants to get rid of diving

Peaches

Good. I remember Cammalleri was talking about this on OTR around a year ago, and they're actually doing it now. It's time they start taking steps against diving. Embellishment is an embarrassment to the game of hockey, and it's getting more and more common around the whole league (especially in the playoffs).

This won't hurt Vancouver at all. May help Kesler to focus on playing the game as opposed to letting himself get distracted when he gets frustrated.

This won't have anything like the impact that the league crackdown on mauling, hooking, mugging (interference) had on the Calgary Flames...

They had to shift their game away from clutch and grab towards something resembling skating and playing hockey - and consequently haven't made it out of the first round in the seven years since - or even into the playoffs for three straight years...

To bad teams and players cant make a list of the blind sacks of garbage that are calling the games with complete bias. These refs will get warnings and then be dragged into the street and stoned for their crimes against hockey !!!! lol :emot-parrot:

The only problem I have, is sometimes it appears as a player dives, like on a tripping call, but really they tripped or fell, or went down too easy. Could a player get a diver's reputation simply by falling too easy or tripping? I'm not talking about embellishing injuries, I'm talking about when a player falls too easily.

Also, one I often hear people call an obvious dive, is when a stick gets near their face, and their head jerks back. While it is obviously a dive if they act hurt, the simple act of throwing their head back is much harder. I don't know about you, but my reaction when something comes at my face, even if it is going to miss, is my head jerks back to avoid it. It's just my natural reaction. Is this diving? Or is it just the natural reaction to something flying at your face. There is a bit of grey area here. But there is a difference between that, and acting like you got hit.

Another one is sometimes a player is winded from a play, but about 2 minutes later they are fine. This also makes the diving call harder, because sometimes a player is faking, and is fine as soon as they get the call, and other times they are just winded, but recover quickly.

I hope the NHL would account for these things, and not assume everything is diving as some fans do.

That being said, I hope they crack down on the diving and try to get it out of the game before it gets worse, as it will if left unchecked. It is a problem.

Archived