The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buying used laptops on craigslist

canuckbeliever

I mean, it's a hit or miss. You might luck out and find that business man, whose selling his laptop to make that easy $300, just because. Or you might land that 19 year old that knows there is a problem with the laptop, but is just selling it for a low price.

Classifying craigslist as a whole isn't really the best way of looking at it. Every seller has different reasons for selling it. Find out those reasons and you should be good my dude.

Craigslist is great if you know how to navigate it. The key is in the details - look for people who have included a ton of details, multiple photos, use correct spelling. As always, if it sounds too good to be true, don't bother with it. Ask them questions by email, one at a time, and see if they take the time to answer. If they just try to push you to meet up and buy it, say no thanks. Finally, when you go to meet them, try to find a friend who knows more than you to come along. Or even someone who can fake it, but introduce them as "My friend ___, who knows a lot about computers!" Read their body language, see if this makes them nervous. Anyone trying to quickly pass off a dying computer will want to get out of there immediately.

Probably the majority of my possessions these days came off Craigslist/Kijiji (and yeah, they are more or less interchangeable) and everything works fine, some of it has for years. When it works it really is the best option.

I've done a number of transactions over Craigslist whether it be selling or buying electronics, or buying sports tickets, etc., my simplified advice relating to the two types of electronics discussed:

1. Either arrange to meet the person in public and/or make sure others know where you are just to eliminate the worst case "crazy person" scenario. Bringing someone also helps if you're that paranoid.

2a. TV's are simple -- make sure you can power the thing on to check and see if it works, if it has any dead pixels, faded colour, burn-in, etc.

2b. Laptops are more complicated. Similarly, make sure the laptop comes with all accessories like adapter (all pieces), make sure screen doesn't have dead pixels, burn-in, missing keys, missing hardware from bays, make sure the computer functions as advertised, look for signs of break or falls, tiny scratches and nicks on the laptop exterior are expected from most, also find out if it has a recovery disc and OEM windows serial that is hardware specific so you can get a cleanly installed machine. You could also ask this person to do a fresh install if they haven't already.

3. Don't show the money until you are ready to pay, obviously.

it has a lot to do with talking to the person whos selling it. Dont just use E-mails. Get a number to call them. If they sound reasonable and educated over the phone it helps a lot. If they sound like 17 year old wanna be gangstas give it a pass. The use of the word "bro" is a bad sign.

You can find some incredible deals on craigslist. I went with my buddy and we picked up a really nice leather couch for him for $200.

I've bought some smaller things from Craigslist, like Wii games, movies... All work great.

I wouldn't buy something expensive like a laptop tho. You just never know. Sometimes the con artists ARE the ones who sound trustworthy and spell everything right.

Maybe try something refurbished at futureshop that you know will come with a decent warranty in case something goes sideways after a few weeks.

Bought a pretty solid laptop from craigslist yesterday. got home and looked a bit closer at the power brick. The cord was frayed right beside the power brick and the velcro was over top of it and there was a small loop of cord to stop the velcro from moving out of place. Returned it today, but lost $20 out of it for 'his time'. At least he let me return it. Said he didn't realize it, but you never know.

Be very careful.

My family have bought many laptops from usedvictoria.com (obviously similar to craiglists) and the only problem we've had was one of our laptops had a faulty hard-drive.

You can honestly find some amazing deals from international students who try to get rid of their things before heading back to their home country.

Archived