The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shootings reported outside Empire State Building

nuckin_futz

Media's clearly been talking about shootings a lot more lately, they pick a hot subject and rolled with it, they have a new theme every year, sad part is these things happen all the time and the media decides not always too cover it. .

I have always lacked the ability to comprehend nonsense while you seem to have the consistent ability to produce it.

Shootings reported outside Empire State Building

A gunman believed to be responsible in the shooting of at least five people in front of the Empire State Building in New York was shot and killed by police, New York police reported.

Authorities converged on the building around 9 a.m. after reports of gunfire.

Additional details were not immediately available.

What was a yearly thing is now a monthly thing. This is not progress

Media's clearly been talking about shootings a lot more lately, they pick a hot subject and rolled with it, they have a new theme every year, sad part is these things happen all the time and the media decides not always too cover it. .

I don't think there are that many people who would agree with you on these boards.

Maybe it is you who is the one posting nonsense. Ever think about it?

I don't think there are that many people who would agree with you on these boards.

Maybe it is you who is the one posting nonsense. Ever think about it?

America is so scared of it's own shadow it's depressing.

They all think they should have guns because they are scared that they all have guns. It's stupid.

The first admentment means you have the right to protect your family, rights, beliefs and your life. Like how it should be for every human being. It doesn't mean you have the right to walk down the street with an ak47 because it makes you feel safe.

America is so scared of it's own shadow it's depressing.

They all think they should have guns because they are scared that they all have guns. It's stupid.

The first admentment means you have the right to protect your family, rights, beliefs and your life. Like how it should be for every human being. It doesn't mean you have the right to walk down the street with an ak47 because it makes you feel safe.

Actually it probably would.

FTR, I am as anti-gun as it gets. I have never fired one in my 51+ years and I have zero desire to ever do so.

However, as was pointed out several times in the other "shootings" threads, guns are far too prevalent in the US for there to be any hope of getting them out of the hands of the general public. I suppose some sort of amnesty program could be set up, but I doubt that it would have any real effect.

Personally, I am in favor of controlling ammunition. Ammo for automatic weapons should be illegal to sell, period. The only ones with access to it should be the military and certain branches of law enforcement.

Ammunition for handguns and hunting rifles should far more expensive than it is and it should be more difficult to obtain. No more picking up 500 rounds at Wal-Mart. It should only be sold at licensed gun shops and outfitters, where it can be more easily monitored.

I'm not so naive to think that this approach would be the end of gun violence, but I think it could go a long way towards limiting it.

If you increase the cost of ammo, it will mean people will just start reloading their own ammo. In Canada our rules may not be perfect, but they clearly eliminate a majority of the accidental discharges, etc.

In fact it never ceases to amaze me that American's don't look at our system and realise how low our numbers are in comparison to the US.

In fact in Canada the majority of firearms deaths are in commiting suicide. Between 1987 and 1996 79% of all firearms deaths were due to suicide. Between 1987 to 1996 there was 183 homicides per year involving firearms. There was 4.5 deaths per 100,000 involving firearms from 1987 to 1996.

In the US it's 10.27 per 100,000.

Australia it's 2.94

In the England who has very restrictive laws: 0.46

Pretty much the more restrictive the laws. The lower the death rate. I'm happy with our laws. Is there some things that don't make sense? Yes. Like it's legal to own a .50 BMG sniper rifle. What the hell are you going to shoot that for? Or that most Rifles are restricted to 5 rounds, but you can own a .22 and have as large a magazine as you like. I'm also confused why they chose 4.14" is the smallest barrel size on a handgun. I know they have to draw a line somewhere but why not under 4"? Is there really more easy to conceal a 4" pistol compared to a 4.14"?

Hmmm...you do have a point but banning guns and somehow increasing the price of ammo or banning the sales of ammo in any commercial market should have a little bit of impact, don't you think? That little bit of impact might have prevented the Colorado shooting. Am sure if they put as much effort into banning guns and ammo as they put in the "war on drugs", it would eventually be a little effective in preventing some of these shootings. Even if it prevented deaths of a couple of individuals, it would be well worth it.

Archived