Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Super League?

Discussion

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Should a new league replace the broken one? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Should a new league be created for the best of the best?

1. Yes (8 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. No (6 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

3. I think Gary Bettman is the best, in a league of his own (2 votes [5.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. This poll is stupid (24 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 luckylager

luckylager

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

Well, here we are, fans suffering another lockout.
Is the system really that broken and if the NHL's economics are really that bad???.....

How about a "Super League" or "Premier League" :

8 - 10 teams, no cap and no revenue sharing (unless our dollar tanks again; when values are within 5% of parity sharing would be revoked ). Just the best of the best. Imagine the hockey! No Bettman, no crappy Southern US teams that can't fill an arena, etc etc...

There are so many benefits for the game, the fans and elite players if such a league were to be created.

Edited by luckylager, 16 September 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#2 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

You would need rich owners for this to happen. Like really, really rich. And they would need the Stanley cup as well.

Posted Image

#3 luckylager

luckylager

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

There are at least 8 teams with very rich owners that could pull it off. In good markets ( like van ) we pay a lot of money for a game. I think it would be sustainable.

#4 luckylager

luckylager

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

In my life, the three best hockey games I've ever watched had nothing to do with the Stanley Cup. A Canada Cup and two gold medal games.

Edited by luckylager, 16 September 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#5 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

There is already a new league that already exists.... it is called the KHL

But anyways, there isn't gonna be a 'new league' or anything, what needs to happen is Betman be fired (which wont happen either).
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#6 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

In my life, the three best hockey games I've ever watched had nothing to do with the Stanley Cup. A Canada Cup and two gold medal games.

Then you havent watched enough hockey.

Refer to 94 Stanley cup finals, 2006 Stanley c

There is already a new league that already exists.... it is called the KHL

But anyways, there isn't gonna be a 'new league' or anything, what needs to happen is Betman be fired (which wont happen either).

KHL is tier 2. Sorry to say, their top players is none other then Alexander Radulov. It goes to show the difference in skill level between the NHL and KHL.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#7 luckylager

luckylager

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

Then you havent watched enough hockey.

Refer to 94 Stanley cup finals, 2006 Stanley c

Disagree

KHL is tier 2. Sorry to say, their top players is none other then Alexander Radulov. It goes to show the difference in skill level between the NHL and KHL.

Agree

#8 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

Should be maybe16 teams.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#9 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

As long as the Canucks have a shot at the cup, along with our best players, I don't have a problem with this.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#10 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

There are at least 8 teams with very rich owners that could pull it off. In good markets ( like van ) we pay a lot of money for a game. I think it would be sustainable.

Those owners already have teams, with commitments to their staff, arenas, players, etc. Why would they go after a super league after complaining they already don't make enough money?

Why would the players commit to something like that, when they're already a part of a union whose aim is to have more players employed, not less?

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#11 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

There already is a league showcasing the best players in the world.

It's called the NHL.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#12 luckylager

luckylager

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

I think you're all missing the point.. It's more of a fantasy league in my mind, best of the best. And just a fantasy at that.

KHL doesn't count it's Russian AHL.

NHL is not a super league, the talent pool is a little shallow which is why I think 8-10 teams of elite players would just be insane hockey. Yes, NHL is were the best play, but the league economics are broken because of Bettmans boner for having bad teams in bad markets.

It's not a reality question. Obviously this could not happen, I'm not asking whether it could, rather would you be stoked if such a league existed?

I get that many CDC users don't have a fun bone and being a cynical douche makes you feel good because you are too meek to speak your mind in real life.

Meh, f'n kids these days...

#13 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,567 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

26 teams would be perfect IMO. Same type of hockey but no more Dale Weise's or Johm Scott's.

- Still the NHL. Fold Phoenix, Florida, Columbus, and undecided.

Edited by A1 CANUCK, 17 September 2012 - 01:59 PM.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#14 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,421 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Columbus & Tampa?

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#15 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

and why would the NHLPA agree to this?
but no, i would not like this.

assuming average salar is 5 million in this leauge. you have an average cap of 110 million...
also... 8 teams means less games...means less revenue for tickets

so...more money being spent on salary and less ticket revenue.

edit: canuck tickets are already at $410 for lower and $100 for upper...

8 team leauge with superstar players, tickets would probably increase to $600 for lower and $250 for upper

cheapest coming in at $175 per ticket

Edited by canucks.bradley, 17 September 2012 - 12:12 PM.

Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#16 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

I think you're all missing the point.. It's more of a fantasy league in my mind, best of the best. And just a fantasy at that.

KHL doesn't count it's Russian AHL.

NHL is not a super league, the talent pool is a little shallow which is why I think 8-10 teams of elite players would just be insane hockey. Yes, NHL is were the best play, but the league economics are broken because of Bettmans boner for having bad teams in bad markets.

It's not a reality question. Obviously this could not happen, I'm not asking whether it could, rather would you be stoked if such a league existed?

I get that many CDC users don't have a fun bone and being a cynical douche makes you feel good because you are too meek to speak your mind in real life.

Meh, f'n kids these days...

I think your issue is more that you've expected people to come on here and not take it seriously as if they were a kid and just as a part of the wonder of the game. Instead you got logical answers from adults who had no indication from your OP that this was purely a fantasy situation.

Be careful what you wish for, or don't complain when the result matches the question.

Going on the "obviously this could not happen" premise, I'd still likely say no. What teams would there be? Would we have the Canucks (or their super league version) to cheer locally? Would they compete for the Stanley Cup if it were to take over the NHL?

The hockey might be great, but I'd need to be invested in the results to care deeply enough to watch a lot. In international play, I mainly watch Canada. For NHL, Canucks. For AHL, Chicago Wolves. Maybe some other teams associated with our prospects. There's no guarantees I'd watch anything else with any regularity otherwise if I have no investment in those teams or games.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.