The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-CAL & VAN-FLA

Blockbuster time!

To VAN: Jarome Iginla

To CAL: Alex Edler, Mason Raymond

Why for Van? A well rounded star to fill out the top 6. He wants a go at the Stanley Cup. Would look scary on either Sedin's or Kesler's wing. He has one year left and you know he will sign at a discount in order to chase a ring or two. Edler is a heavy price to pay but we can drop him now that we have Garrison.

Why for Cal? Its time for a rebuild. Building their defense around Edler and Wideman is a positive first step. They love their leader in Iginla and I think Feaster respects him enough to let him go for a Cup (think Bourque and Boston). 2 young highly skilled plays for one aging one is a good return.

To VAN: Jose Theodore, Keaton Ellerby, 1st Round Pick.

To FLA: Roberto Luongo, Kevin Connauton

Why for Van? I think we are all realizing that Roberto does not demand the return we would all want for him. A solid experienced back up, a big strong young stay at home defenseman with upside and a 1st round pick is a solid return.

Why for Fla? They land an excellent goaltender who played his best hockey in Florida. Connauton is an average prospect but he would blunt the loss of Ellerby.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Iginla

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Weise-Lapierre-Kassian

Malhotra-Volpatti

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Ballard-Tanev

Garrison-Ellerby

Alberts

Schneider-Theodore

23 Man Roster 2012/13 Cap Hit: 66.41 Million

You guys have no idea who Jarome Iginla is. He's old. So what? You want someone younger like Crosby? One hit to the head and he's on the shelf for 4 months. You guys know how many games Iggy has missed in the last DECADE? I'll give you a hint, it's less than what Crosby missed last season. Iggy has missed 20 games in the last 10 years! He's scored 30 goals or more a season since about 1974 and that is playing with a bunch of nobodies. My apologies to Craig Conroy and Olli Jokinen. He's what every hockey player should aspire to me. Tough, can defend himself, score, passing ability, leadership etc. Look up the word "consistent" in the dictionary and you'll probably see a pic of Iginla. He's everything you want in a hockey player and you guys won't trade him for Edler? You kidding me? Marchand tries to pull that crap with Iggy? He'll be on his ass way before his gloves touches Iggy's face. Well it doesen't matter, cuz the chances of him ever leaving Calgary is about maybe 2% and the chances of him in a nuck uniform is way below zero.

Nobody is undervaluing Luongo here. We're just being realistic as to what return we can get for him and what an opposing GM will offer for him. If you guys say you don't want Iggy cuz he's too old, why would another team want Luongo and his 10 year contract at 5.3M a seaon when Luongo's only 2 years younger than Iggy? If Tallon won't give up Bjudstad for Luongo, what makes you think he'll give up Theodore, Ellerby and a 1st for Luongo and Connauton? In a deep draft like the upcoming one, I'll take that package over Bjudstad anyday, but Tallon isn't stupid.

I feel like Schneids is on the right track.

Our window is closing.

Edler may be a stud in a few years but the twins will be well past their prime and Kesler is already breaking down.

We need to make a sacrifice on our future to get to the glory land in our present.

If we are happy making the playoffs for the next 10 seasons then don't make these trades. But I think we all want the Stanley Cup and that means making one last big push now. That is what this proposal is.

Understand that good teams (like us) dont win the Cup. Great teams win the Cup. Lets make us great, lets win the Stanley Cup a couple times then lets rebuild and start all over. Its the way of the NHL now. If you realize that you realize that our window is closing and if we dont act now we turn into Calgary- a team too old to compete and too stupid to realize it.

Archived