Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Bieksa and Hamhuis surprise Midget Triple-A team in North Van with workout, Q&A sessions

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Kevin Bieksa couldn’t help himself. He saw one of the North Vancouver Storm players racing toward him and decided there was no way the kid was going to beat him.
“I knew he was going to attack me one-on-one and I’m thinking, ‘I am not letting this guy beat me,’ ” Bieksa said. “He tried to put it through my legs and go around me and I’m like, ‘sorry, not today Bud.’’’
So Bieksa did what comes naturally. He straight-armed the kid, who fell to the ice. Both had big smiles on their faces.
There was a lot of smiling late Thursday afternoon when Bieksa and fellow Canuck defenceman Dan Hamhuis surprised the Storm and took part in the Midget Triple-A team’s fast-paced hour-long practice at Harry Jerome Arena.
Coach Dan Cioffi had been given the heads-up that Bieksa and Hamhuis were going to drop by, but he didn’t tell his 15- and 16-year-old players. More than a few jaws dropped when the two Canucks hopped over the boards just minutes after the Storm hit the ice.
“Yeah, I think they were surprised,” Bieksa said. “When we got on the ice they were pretty shocked and there were a lot of wide eyes.”
The NHL Players’ Association has encouraged its members to get out and participate in some minor hockey league practices during the current lockout. Hamhuis and Bieksa were happy to oblige and fellow Canuck Mason Raymond surprised a Vancouver-area team earlier this week.
Wearing NHLPA jerseys and Canucks helmets and pants, Hamhuis and Bieksa participated in all of the team’s drills. At one point, Bieksa drew up a drill on the coach’s rink board.
“You want to help them out as much as you can,” Bieksa said. “It’s tough in one practice, but the one drill just kind of gave them a couple of pointers. We were doing a three-on-two drill, one that Dan and I thought was tough to defend.”
Both Hamhuis and Bieksa were impressed with the pace of the practice.
“They were really good,” Hamhuis said. “We were impressed. They can skate really well and they made some nice plays out there. It was a good practice and we had a lot of fun. I might steal some of those drills.”
“When we first got out there we were kind of sitting at the side, just watching the first drill, and the kids were just buzzing around,” Bieksa added. “And we kind of looked at one another and said, ‘okay, are you ready for this?’ It was definitely a quick pace out there.
“It definitely wasn’t easy out there. It was hard work and a couple of times during the scrimmage we were gasping for air when we came off. They were impressive.”
The Storm, obviously, had a blast, although goalie Chris Gharakhanian admitted he had some butterflies when he saw Bieksa teeing up a shot from the point.
“Bieksa was right at the point and I flinched,” the 16-year-old said. “I don’t normally flinch. I stopped it and had good rebound control, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t scared. It was great they would do something like this. I guess they’ve got a little extra time on their hands these days.”
After the practice, Bieksa and Hamhuis spent considerable time with the Storm players in their dressing room answering questions. That was after they waded their way through two young girls’ teams that were about to take the ice.
“They had some questions for us,” Hamhuis said. “They are at that age where they have to make some decisions about junior hockey and college so it was a good mix. Kevin was a college guy and I went the junior route, so they had questions specific to that.”
“They were all ears and listening and taking it all in,” added Bieksa. “It was good, it felt like it was constructive.”

Edited by Sweatt_GLaNDs, 28 September 2012 - 08:37 AM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2 Tig'ol Bitties

Tig'ol Bitties

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

Awesome. Glad to have such classy players like these two guys on the Canucks. It's things like this that have been making me want to get either a Bieksa/Hamhuis/Burrows jersey.

3Goktj2.jpg

#3 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,075 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz27mN4K5eu

Read more? I want highlights!

That's awesome that they did that! Thanks for posting the story!
Posted Image

#4 Zissou

Zissou

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

Damn that would be awesome. Good for Juice and Hammer.

#5 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

Awesome! Glad they're giving back with some of their free time. Must have made those kids' day!
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#6 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

Good read about a good deed.

Thanks for posting.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#7 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

Classy move, Dan.
Classy move, Kevin.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#8 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

Good on them, doing this for the love of hockey and community.

Posted Image

#9 captain_kirk1

captain_kirk1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

awesome! good work boys!

Burrows just played in a charity game recently too in Quebec with a bunch of other NHL players. Believed it started with some guys from Philly - it's supposed to be going around to small towns in Quebec etc.

Pretty neat to see some guys sticking around and giving back to their community while they're out of work and could easily be in Europe playing

#10 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the read.

Hamhuis is a goddamn national treasure. He donates $100,000 to McDonald House and now this? Well done, Dan.

Good for Bieksa too. His involvement in this and Rypien's memorial is classy.
Posted Image

#11 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

Now if Bettman wants to give back to his community, I know there are thousands of rats in the sewers of New York waiting to see him.
Posted Image

#12 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Goalie's a bitch. I flinched. PFT.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#13 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

If Ballard was there he should have hipchekd one of them! lol show em how to do one

Edited by cmpunk, 28 September 2012 - 12:21 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#14 Hugh Chardon

Hugh Chardon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

Great. Let's teach the players of tomorrow how to choke.

#15 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for posting that, that's a great story, and definitely a class act by these two. I love hearing about players going to help out with minor hockey, it's definitely something these kids will never forget. Classy.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#16 Franksedin

Franksedin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

Great. Let's teach the players of tomorrow how to choke.

What the heck does that mean. Are you referring to hammers give away against l.a...if so grow up and get over it. Mistakes happen. Those two are great Canucks and they both seem like great ppl. Love that they are Canucks.

#17 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,143 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

My buddy's brother is on this team, I better ask him about it.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#18 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

Ha, my son and I were just talking a couple of days ago about the whole lock out thing and I commented that I really wished some of the players would do stuff like this ("surprise young players with a drop in") with their free time. My son scoffed at my suggestion, but I guess great minds (like me & KB) think alike. What a thrill for these players.

Hugh: I know you're on a roll, but try to add something to the discussion besides just being a wet blanket, ok?

Posted Image

#19 White Goodman

White Goodman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

Wow. This sort of thing makes me proud to be a Canucks fan.
Posted Image

#20 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,047 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

Great story, thanks for posting!

307mg00.jpg

#21 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

Time well spent during the lockout :).
Posted Image

#22 SeaVanCanGal

SeaVanCanGal

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

This is why I love our team. So far the majority of our players are staying put, close to home so to speak, volunteering and giving back to our community. This warms the heart. Vancouver has always been classy, and this proves it once more.
Yes, Opus would be proud.........He's probably watching the games with Bill the Cat and Steve Dallas, somewhere in Bloom County, he probably has his cup of tea and he is wearing the Canucks third jersey because its "politically correct". After games, the three of them sit around and debate why the needless violence in sports is necessary with Steve Dallas always being the voice of reason on such matters. Bill the Cat is still sitting around licking his a*se and coughing up hairballs, looking forward to drinking milk out of the great silver chalice. Ahh life is good in Bloom County..........Carry on for Vancouver, Opus, carry on.

#23 KB_3

KB_3

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

Thats classy!

#24 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

That would be such an awesome expierence!

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#25 Eagle Eye

Eagle Eye

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

Mason Raymond went out to Abbotsford and practiced with the Atoms. The kids had a blast.

#26 Hugh Chardon

Hugh Chardon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

Ha, my son and I were just talking a couple of days ago about the whole lock out thing and I commented that I really wished some of the players would do stuff like this ("surprise young players with a drop in") with their free time.  My son scoffed at my suggestion, but I guess great minds (like me & KB) think alike.  What a thrill for these players.

Hugh:  I know you're on a roll, but try to add something to the discussion besides just being a wet blanket, ok?

Yeah, you're right. I guess I'll look past the appalling greed of these overpaid children (which is only surpassed by the appalling greed of the owners) and rejoice in these meaningless antics like the rest of you.

#27 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Meaningless? Actually, to a 15 year old kid, this could have a huge impact and is likely quite meaningful.

But I suppose they could just spend their spare time ragging on the internet, like some of us? Talk about meaningless antics....

Posted Image

#28 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,070 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Yeah, you're right. I guess I'll look past the appalling greed of these overpaid children (which is only surpassed by the appalling greed of the owners) and rejoice in these meaningless antics like the rest of you.

Whenever I've played sports, especially when I was 12-15, having a professional athlete I respected and watched come and talk and practice with us was a huge thing.

Even now, I'm in an 18+ floor hockey league, and if Burrows came to talk about floor hockey I would be star-struck for sure.

Posted Image

#29 cjc

cjc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

It was a blast for the kids. One of the dads there told me only a few kids saw Bieksa and Hamhuis when they walked into the rink and one started running down the benches to try to check out the dressing room. When Bieksa swung his leg over the boards to join them, some of the kids were jumping up and down.

These guys are an inspiration and they are certainly role models. For kids hoping to have some kind of future in hockey - whatever that might be - throwing a bit of "magic powder" their way is an experience they will never forget. They have photos and video (if we could ever get it off the PVR) and I think they are still smiling.

The players have time to give back. Some of these kids never get to see them play in person. Others are lucky enough to get to some games, but to be on the same ice? Cue the Mastercard commercial.

#30 Hugh Chardon

Hugh Chardon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

Meaningless?  Actually, to a 15 year old kid, this could have a huge impact and is likely quite meaningful.

But I suppose they could just spend their spare time ragging on the internet, like some of us?  Talk about meaningless antics....

Look, Toots, don't take that sanctimonious, condescending, tone with me. From what I have seen on this site you appear to have no life outside of your creepy, desperate, love for these playoff-choking knuckleheads. This is nothing but a shallow PR stunt by a bunch of attention seeking media whores who are clearly fully aware of the optics of millionaires and billionaires duking it out. But that's ok, because Bieksa took a few moments out of his busy day, put his non-fat vanilla soy latte down, and yucked it up with some kids. Get real, Seacrest out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.