#1 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

http://www.prweb.com...rweb9947389.htm

Vancouver has been named the city with the world’s best reputation. The result is from Reputation Institute’s 2012 City RepTrak™. The yearly study ranks the world’s 100 most reputable cities by polling more than 18,000 people from the G8 countries.

Vancouver now joins its home, Canada, in the winner’s circle. Canada was named the world’s most reputable country in the 2012 Country RepTrak™ranking released just three weeks ago.

RepTrak™ destination studies dive deep into the emotional bond between stakeholders and destinations by quantifying the degree to which people Trust, Admire, Respect and have an Affinity for a city or country.

Underlining a destination’s RepTrak™ score are three dimensions that influence the perceptions of a destination. These dimensions: Advanced Economy, Appealing Environment and Effective Administration, are what drive a destination’s reputation and stakeholder support.
In the City RepTrak™ study, these three dimensions are further defined by 13 reputation attributes that participants in the study are asked to evaluate. These include the destinations’ perceived: beauty; safety; cultural offerings; infrastructure; business environment; schools and more.

“We live in a reputation economy. While the idea of a destination’s reputation may not be on the top of everyone’s mind when they decide where to live, work, vacation, or do business, our studies indicate that it should. We have found that a person’s perceived reputation of a city is a key factor when deciding where to visit, or in terms of business, to invest. Our modeling demonstrates that effective management of these reputation drivers translates directly into increased tourism receipts, investment, and stakeholder support,” says Nicolas Georges Trad, Executive Partner of Reputation Institute.
Vancouver and Sydney were the only cities to finish in the top 10 in all three of the aforementioned, reputation dimensions. Vancouver scored highest in administration and was recommended by poll participants as also the best place to live and work.

The host of the 2010 Winter Olympics focuses many resources on creating a welcoming environment and promoting its multicultural heritage.

“At Tourism Vancouver, we have a role as a brand steward for our city, helping to court and share positive and responsible media comments, ensuring that our visitor infrastructure is safe and welcoming to everyone, and by inviting the world to come and spend some time with us.

We believe that a factor in Vancouver’s stature is our reputation as a city where all nationalities gather comfortably, where over 40 first languages are spoken in the average school, where perhaps 50% of our population has English as a second language and in our having a deep-seated respect for varied religious views.
Ongoing immigration continues to provide us with an array of benefits: be they wonderful foods; inspired cooking, festivals, music and fashion. In Vancouver, we tend to share ideas, to learn from one another and to celebrate our differences,” commented Rick Antonson, President and CEO of Tourism Vancouver.

Although Vancouver was not voted the most beautiful city in the world, it did place number seven in the category behind old world and architecturally revered Venice, Florence, Rome, Paris, Vienna and Barcelona.

When tallying a reputation score, the 13 reputation attributes are weighted in order of importance in determining a city’s overall reputation. The most important reputation attributes were found to be: beautiful city; safe environment; wide range of appealing experiences, including food, sport, architecture, and entertainment; well-respected leaders and progressive social, economic, and environmental policies.

It is no wonder then that small to medium sized, safe, environmentally friendly and sporty cities like Vancouver, Vienna, Sydney and Copenhagen top the list while the mega cities that never sleep, such as Hong Kong, London, New York and Tokyo are lower down in ranking.

“The world’s largest cities certainly face more challenges when it comes to managing their reputations. They have many more factors that can impact their reputation and many of these influencers cannot be controlled. Additionally, big cities tend to operate much more under the microscope of the media. The conversation surrounding a destination - be it in the news and/or social media – is often a major influence on public perception. We can see in this year’s results just how effective Vancouver has been in shaping a constructive and trustworthy dialogue with the media,” says Reputation Institute’s Nicolas Georges Trad.

While global mega-cities like New York and Hong Kong may still rank amongst the most visited in the world, to maintain and increase their tourism and investment share, the RepTrak™ demonstrates that they will need to focus more on improving these key attributes.
“Destinations that identify and devote proper resources to building a strong reputation attract more tourists, more business investment and when the price is right, sell more products. We can see what happens when for example, a destination neglects these reputation attributes and the opposite effect occurs, as with the USA’s drop in tourism numbers. Destinations, like businesses, need to pay attention to their reputation,” says Kasper Nielsen, Executive Partner of Reputation Institute.

About Reputation Institute
Reputation Institute is the world's leading corporate reputation consulting firm. Founded in 1997, with a presence in over 30 countries, we are the pioneer in reputation management. Through systematic research and analysis, Reputation Institute supports companies to build comprehensive strategies and make operational decisions that are designed to align stakeholders with corporate objectives creating tangible economic value. We enable leaders to make business decisions that build and protect reputational capital and drive competitive advantage. For more information: http://www.reputationinstitute.com.

Nice bum, where're ya from?

#2 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

All thanks to me B)
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#3 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

POPULAR

We clearly don't riot enough.

Edited by Jagermeister, 30 September 2012 - 10:12 PM.

Posted Image

#4 MashedBananas

MashedBananas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

They're joking right? This is a joke yeah?
Posted Image

Sig Credit goes to Henrik Sedin

#5 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

Well, it's the best place in the world to live (minus the housing prices).

Van gets a lot of hate from the rest of Canada (must be jealous B)), but around the world people know what a great city it is.
"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#6 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

Well, well, well. Looks like I have a new rebuttal to anything riot related. B) Love it.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#7 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

Suck on that one, haters.
Posted Image

#8 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

They're joking right? This is a joke yeah?

Was waiting for one of the you guys to complain about the city you live in.

I've traveled around the world many times and visited tones of beautiful cities, but I still say Vancouver is the best city in the world, only complaint is our atrocious congestions at times.

Edited by Armada, 30 September 2012 - 10:43 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

I've traveled around the world many times and visited tones of beautiful cities, but I still say Vancouver is the best city in the world, only complaint is our atrocious congestions at times.

Hey Armada, not sure what "tones" of cities you have visited, that you call our congestions "atrocious". Had to assume you were thinking about traffic, were you not?

#10 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

ASIDE from 6/15 (and the rising cost of living and housing :picard:) I could see why Vancouver would rank high in this

beautiful city - Oh you BETCHA
safe environment - not bad compared to other places, people are pretty mellow and aside from bad apples not too many cause problems
wide range of appealing experiences, including food, sport, architecture, and entertainment - with the influx of cultures how can food not be one? Sports, there are several decent teams with loyal fanbases; not sure what to comment for architecture, not bad? Entertainment is alright too (would love more city-wide events, just not on the scale of the SCF public viewings)
well-respected leaders and progressive social, economic, and environmental policies (aside from some dumb policies and lax punishments I can't really complain too much, plus we do care about our environment and diff. social groups with the integration programs for new immigrants, etc. Economically BC's done adequately, though we may still be in an economic downturn but compared to other developed nations we've done well)

Edited by MessiNacity10, 30 September 2012 - 11:02 PM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#11 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hey Armada, not sure what "tones" of cities you have visited, that you call our congestions "atrocious". Had to assume you were thinking about traffic, were you not?

Yup, traffic.

We are North America's 2nd most congested city.

Lower Mainlanders often complain about our inadequate road infrastructure. Today the complainers will be vindicated as the TomTom Congestion index revealed that Vancouver is the second most congested city in North America, behind only car crazed Los Angeles. The report covers 26 major cities in North America. The average trip times in Vancouver take 30% longer when there is no traffic and 65% longer during the weekly evening rush hour. This has got to change.

Now, after looking at the congestion levels, one has to question why the City wants to tear down the Georgia and Dunsmuir Viaducts. The City has come up with a conceptual plan that will reclaim the land surrounding the viaducts and convert most of it into a public park with a beach at False Creek. Aesthetically, the plan is appealing, however, it will have an adverse impact on traffic. The plan to tear down viaducts is even being contested by Strathcona residents. Why the city can’t work around the viaducts and integrate them into the fabric of the neighbourhood is a question that every Vancouverite should be asking.

List of Top Ten Congested Cities in North America

• Los Angeles, 33%
  • Vancouver, 30%
  • Miami, 26%
  • Seattle, 25%
  • Tampa, 25%
  • San Francisco, 25%
  • Washington, 24%
  • Houston, 23%
  • Toronto, 22%
  • Ottawa, 22%

http://www.vancitybu...-north-america/

Edited by Armada, 30 September 2012 - 11:02 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

We clearly don't riot enough.

Masterpiece :ph34r:

#13 MashedBananas

MashedBananas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

Was waiting for one of the you guys to complain about the city you live in.

I don't live in Vancouver, but how can a city with 2 riots be considered to have the best rep?
Posted Image

Sig Credit goes to Henrik Sedin

#14 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

what is this 'tagged with report' business? :huh:
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#15 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

I don't live in Vancouver, but how can a city with 2 riots be considered to have the best rep?

In saying that I'm assuming you've never been to Vancouver, either?

It's a stunning city. There is more to a city than whether or not it has had riot(s).
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#16 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

Yup, traffic.

We are North America's 2nd most congested city.

http://www.vancitybu...-north-america/

Hard to believe Calgary isn't in there. That dump that passes itself off as a city is impossible during rush hour.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#17 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:09 PM

Been around the world and this area is still one of the best, from what i've seen. Looks like the rest of the world is starting to learn what we've known for quite some time.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#18 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

POPULAR

Every city on Earth has violence in it's history.

The only downside to living in Vancouver is that you could buy an entire street in Winnipeg for the price of an apartment here.
Posted Image

#19 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

Haven't been all over the world but I still say Van citys tha best!!
Posted Image

#20 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

You're pointing at "North American" stats, that appear to only cover USA and Canada. If that's what "traveling around the world many times" meant, than I am sorry - my bad.

If you care for an unbiased, global perspective, look for the IBM 2011 Commuter Pain Index.
http://www-03.ibm.co...lease/35359.wss

Maybe after your first visit to Mexico City or Beijing, among many others, you will understand how fortunate you are to commute in our "atrocious" traffic.

A la vôtre!
Socrates

#21 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

Posted Image

Problem solved.
Posted Image

#22 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

If you only focus on the negatives any city can look bad. Having two riots in a 17 year span is not enough to tarnish all the great things this city has to offer.

And we have shown that we are great at hosting the world for big events like Expo, the Olympics, and various world championship sporting events.

Vancouverites are very well traveled too. That helps spread the cities rep big time.

#23 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

You're pointing at "North American" stats, that appear to only cover USA and Canada. If that's what "traveling around the world many times" meant, than I am sorry - my bad.

If you care for an unbiased, global perspective, look for the IBM 2011 Commuter Pain Index.
http://www-03.ibm.co...lease/35359.wss

Maybe after your first visit to Mexico City or Beijing, among many others, you will understand how fortunate you are to commute in our "atrocious" traffic.

A la vôtre!
Socrates

When I wrote my original post, I was never proposing that it was the worse in the world. All I said was that it was awful, hoping that one day it will be better. I've been to Shanghai, Seoul, Budapest, London, Paris, Cancun, New York, Los Angeles and the list goes on.

Some are worse, some are better. Traffic is least of my worries but it is an annoyance.

Edited by Armada, 30 September 2012 - 11:40 PM.

Posted Image

#24 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

When I wrote my original post, I was never proposing that it was the worse in the world. All I said was that it was awful, hoping that one day it will be better. I've been to Shanghai, Seoul, Budapest, London, Paris, Cancun, New York, Los Angeles and the list goes on.

Some are worse, some are better. Traffic is least of my worries but it is an annoyance.

You're going to have to deal with traffic if you live in any big city. It's not something to really complain about. It's part of the deal.

Edited by CAPSLOCK, 30 September 2012 - 11:42 PM.

Posted Image

#25 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

You're going to have to deal with traffic if you live in any big city. It's not something to really complain about. It's part of the deal.

Exactly.

Note when I say it isn't really a worry but an annoyance.
Posted Image

#26 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,689 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:02 AM

what is this 'tagged with report' business? :huh:

Because I like to party

#27 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

Not particularly surprised, but glad to see the result.

Expected Vancouver to rank in the top 5 for sure, but it sure is nice to be ranked 1st.

Posted ImagePosted Image

RIP LB RR PD

#28 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

http://www.prweb.com...rweb9947389.htm

Nice bum, where're ya from?

im from abby wanna grab me?

#29 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

The World's Most Eco-

Friendly Cities

Thoughts of a greener earth may call to mind rolling pastures and snow-topped mountains. Certainly the wide-open spaces of the planet are eco-friendly, but don't rule out cities for their share of "green."
There are many cities around the world that do their parts to make this planet a better place. And with thousands to millions occupying these close-contained areas, every little bit helps.
According to research as recent as 2009, here are the top picks for the most environmentally friendly cities across the planet.
10. Sydney, Australia. Sydney employs many green initiatives, including innovative food-waste management and raised awareness of global warming. Australia also was the first to reduce usage of inefficient, energy-hogging light bulbs.
9. Bahia de Caraquez, Ecuador. When natural disasters devastated the city in the late 1990s, the government instituted a plan to rebuild the city in a more sustainable way. The city is also marketing itself as a destination for eco-tourists.
8. San Francisco, California. Nearly 20 percent of the city is devoted to parks and green spaces. Also, more than half of all residents bike, walk or take public transportation to work every day.
7. London, England. Under London's Climate Action Plan, the city will switch 25 percent of its power to locally generated, more-efficient sources, cut CO2 emissions by 60 percent within the next 20 years, and offer incentives to residents who improve the energy efficiency of their homes.
6. Copenhagen, Denmark. Copenhagen has won awards for cleaning up its waterways. It also has one of the highest concentrations of cyclists.
5. Vancouver, Canada. Vancouver draws 90 percent of its power from natural sources and is the largest user of hydroelectric power.
4. Malmoe, Sweden. This city is known for its extensive green spaces and parks. It is also rebuilding using innovative designs that employ green methods of building and design.
3. Curitiba, Brazil. Curitiba boasts one of the best bus systems in the world, enabling residents to save on energy by using public transportation. Parks are kept tidy by lawn-eating sheep.
2. Portland, Oregon. Portland is the first U.S. city to enact a plan to reduce CO2 emissions. It also has 92,000 acres of green space. It is touted as one of the greenest places to live.
1. Reykjavik, Iceland. This city earns the No. 1 spot by using hydrogen-fueled buses and renewable energy provided by geothermal and hydropower sources. In addition, Reykjavik plans to be fossil-fuel-free by 2050.

^Props to Iceland, wow

http://www.fftimes.com/node/242118

I love going to Van whenever I get the chance, but I also have never been further than Alberta.
I'm still happy to hear this though, what a great city.

Edited by Tystick, 01 October 2012 - 10:22 AM.

Posted Image

#30 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

I miss Vancouver :( Damn proud to read stuff like this about my city.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.