The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If YOU could play anywhere, where would it be?

jagori78

Considering all 30 teams in the league, or even European hockey, where would you like to play if you were an NHL player? Assuming you had a million dollar contract; and why?

I think I would pick Nashville; where half a million buys a mansion on acres; nobody knows me; and I have beautiful weather and awesome city. Plus I would only pay 10 percent tax compared to Canada.

I wonder what age or place in life "real" NHL players make this decision. It makes me wonder why Garrison and Hamhuis chose to come here; to be close to family, I guess. If I were those guys I would have stayed in the city I was. How the hell does Detroit keep re-signing players I don't know.

Maybe Vancouver is a better place to live when you make a million a year as opposed to 80,000. But looking at the bigger picture; there are alot of good things to life in smaller markets down south, too.

I wonder if we will ever see more freedom in the next CBA for players to move around. If it were me starting my career, I would definately hope to play 4 years in college hockey, then a couple in Europe, before making the NHL. I bet Mike Sillinger and his 17 teams he loved travel, too.

Who likes my cool story.

Definitely a waterfront city, but perhaps also somewhere that gets a proper summer. I love Vancouver to pieces, but the long, wet Springs and Autumns are starting to wear on me. If 30 teams were offering me big dollars for my world-class ability to shoot the puck around the boards in a sudden panic, I might choose LA.

It depends.

I would want to finish my career in Vancouver (probably).

But personally I like to travel and live in different places for extended periods of time.

New York, Montreal,

or if I don't like playing in a hockey-mad city...

something like

San Jose, Anaheim, Tampa Bay

Archived