The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Tor: Luongo

Van: Kadri, Biggs, 2nd

Toronto gives us no roster players, and get to keep their 1st.

We get assets for the future, Biggs projects to be a 2nd/3rd liner, and everyone knows about/has their own opinions on Kadri, then what will likely be a mid/late 2nd in a deep draft.

Nothing great but we won't get full value so this seems reasonable for both sides.

What is your theory regarding Luongo's playoff stats? Those have been mediocre every year after 2007.

There is also no guarantee with Luongo. We didn't make the playoffs in 2008 and we weren't even that close. Why was he not able to put the Panthers on his back even just one time and bring them to the playoffs in all the years he was there? No guarantees.

"Hamhuis' trip" directly led to the Vancouver Canucks being eliminated as the 1st seed President's Trophy winners to the 8th seed. Slightly more of an impact than a meaningless regular season game with a non-conference "rival", as you've referenced, don't you think?

Hamhuis thought he was Bobby Orr, tried to get too cute with the puck, ended up losing it in his own end to Trevor Lewis (not exactly Pavel Datsyuk, BTW), and then tried to Kesler-dive to cover up his error and hopefully draw a penalty, which the refs did not buy. In other words, he choked. Pretty clearly and blatantly.

"Hamhuis' trip" directly led to the Vancouver Canucks being eliminated as the 1st seed President's Trophy winners to the 8th seed. Slightly more of an impact than a meaningless regular season game with a non-conference "rival", as you've referenced, don't you think?

Hamhuis thought he was Bobby Orr, tried to get too cute with the puck, ended up losing it in his own end to Trevor Lewis (not exactly Pavel Datsyuk, BTW), and then tried to Kesler-dive to cover up his error and hopefully draw a penalty, which the refs did not buy. In other words, he choked. Pretty clearly and blatantly.

Not necessarily for you, more for the anti-Luongo girls around here... How does credentials on a Phaneuf/ Hamhuis debate renders a win for Hamhuis but in a Luongo/Schneider debate, Schneider the rookie wins.

That's all really.

Tor: Luongo

Van: Kadri, Biggs, 2nd

Toronto gives us no roster players, and get to keep their 1st.

We get assets for the future, Biggs projects to be a 2nd/3rd liner, and everyone knows about/has their own opinions on Kadri, then what will likely be a mid/late 2nd in a deep draft.

Nothing great but we won't get full value so this seems reasonable for both sides.

I'd be happy with this return though IMO the Canucks have a bigger need for an offensive DMan and the Leafs have a few of them.

Every team is going to have to hit the ground running with only a 48 game schedule. This is Burke's last contractual year and MLSE hasn't renewed, most likely looking at performance before they renegotiate. Burke has to be feeling the pressure, Gardiner, Reilly or no playoffs, you pick Burke!

Actually, look closely and you'll see that Hamhuis grabs the stick and is twisted around and flies away like a firefly. He tried to get a penalty and it cost the series. He got picked. Bad move. Blame Luongo. It's not Schneider's fault; he's in the net.

Our number one d-man right there.

Gonna be a long decade... Again...

I doubt we get Rielly or Gardiner, especially Rielly, even if Burke feels the pressure and steps up his offer.

I don't think we need an offensive defensemen.

Our defensive slots are full with Tanev developing into a full time NHLer, and for the PP we have Edler and Garrison on the 1st then Hamhuis and Bieksa on the 2nd, then I think Ballard's skating ability and hockey sense could be valuable on the PP and Tanev is full capable of playing the PP aswell, so IMO all 6 guys potentially could be PP guys, I don't see a need for one myself.

I don't see many needs we can get in this deal other than young talent, so I think this is a perfect time to ass to our prospects with some good young talent so our future is a bit more bright.

The Canucks will most likely be losing a dman due to salary cap and aside from Tanev there isn't much defensive depth. Connaughton and Sauve are the closest to NHL ready and they aren't having that great of an AHL campaign. The Canucks have more forward depth than defensive and defense health has always been an issue come playoff time.

Actually, look closely and you'll see that Hamhuis grabs the stick and is twisted around and flies away like a firefly. He tried to get a penalty and it cost the series. He got picked. Bad move. Blame Luongo. It's not Schneider's fault; he's in the net.

Our number one d-man right there.

Gonna be a long decade... Again...

Archived