The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I was pumping that trade months ago. I think Hammer would cover for Phaneuf nicely, and allow him to shine (Bieksa is sort of the poor-man's Phaneuf, and they work great).

However, with the cap going down, I don't know how we could fit him.

Can't really argue that this defense isn't better than the current Canucks defense. Bieksa at his rightful place: GARRISON - BIEKSA could be deadly, Phaneuf covered by Hamhuis, he could do some very serious damage.

I love the idea.

Keep Luongo and get a high octane offensive player for Edler and suddenly, we have a team again.

CBJ

Edler

1st

VAN

Umberger (playoff beast)

Murray

Offense means everything when a team can't score in the playoffs. Whether one likes him or not, a Canucks team with Phaneuf on it is immensely better than a team without him on it.

I would tend to think that the opposition would not intimidate and take as many liberties against the Canucks as they do if Phaneuf would be on the team.

He's a big body who will make you pay for your sins against his brothers.

Toronto needs Schneider bad.

Offense means everything when a team can't score in the playoffs. Whether one likes him or not, a Canucks team with Phaneuf on it is immensely better than a team without him on it.

I would tend to think that the opposition would not intimidate and take as many liberties against the Canucks as they do if Phaneuf would be on the team.

He's a big body who will make you pay for your sins against his brothers.

Toronto needs Schneider bad.

No he's not. Luongo is not an "average" goalie. He's proven over YEARS. Schneider is a backup rookie at this point.

Found this for you, which perfecrly explains my concerns and which you fail to recognize as a potential outcome:

Vancouver Sun Sports Blogs

One lingering concern about keeping Cory Schneider

With the news that Roberto Luongo has reportedly requested a trade — he's even willing to waive his no-trade clause for it! – it seems that we have already been given an answer as to which of the Canucks' two very good goaltenders will be traded this offseason. But I have to admit that I do have one big concern about keeping Cory Schneider rather than Luongo. The issue is fairly simple: there have been a lot of young goaltenders in the NHL that have experienced tremendous success in their first full season in the league, then faltered badly afterwards.

(Graig Abel, Getty Images)

There are a couple big names recently that fall into that category: Andrew Raycroft won the Calder trophy as rookie of the year in 2004 for the Boston Bruins after posting a .926 save percentage and a 2.05 goals against average. After that stellar first season, he didn't post a save percentage about .900 until he was a backup in Vancouver in 2009-10. He is currently playing for the Texas Stars of the AHL, though he did play 10 games in Dallas this season.

Steve Mason also won the Calder in his rookie year and was nominated for the Vezina, as he helped lead the Columbus Blue Jackets to their first ever playoff berth with a .916 SV% and a 2.29 GAA. His next two seasons, his save percentage dropped to .901 and the Blue Jackets finished last in the NHL this season.

Vesa Toskala posted a stellar .930 SV% and a 2.06 GAA as a backup in San Jose in the 2003-04 season. A couple years later, he was the punch line to every joke about the Maple Leafs.

In the 90s, there was Jim Carey. In Carey's sophomore season, his first as a number one goaltender, he won the Vezina trophy as the NHL's best goaltender with a .906 SV% and a 2.26 GAA. A little over a year later, he was in the AHL. A couple years after that and he had retired from professional hockey...

I'd say it most emphatically isn't when he has a $6.5M cap hit in a hockey world where the cap could be $60M next season. Not to mention we'd have to trade away assets to get him when they would be better spent getting younger and cheaper in other areas considering we already have 4 D-men making over $4M and another about to get a raise to that level at least.

You can't just look at it like, "Hey, he's a pretty good player, he'd probably help us." You have to consider what you lose to get him, and what his cap hit does to the rest of your team.

Archived