The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Lu could have won those games, and we were so far ahead, it's not like all of those wins were crucial.

He wasn't the sole reason Canada won, niether was Crosby, Niedermayer, Pronger, Toews, Keith or anyone else on the team. The team came together and won as a team. But Lu was good in the tourney, and as the goalie naturally since they won you could say he has a slight edge in importance over some of the other's due to the importance of the position.

You saying that is again is the classic argument we have here "When we win, it's inspite of him, when we lose it's because of him".

Go watch highlights from the playoffs, regardless of how great a team is in the regluar season, you will go nowhere in the playoffs if you don't get the goaltending, and that was no different with our team.

He had 4 shutouts (including 2 in the SCF) and even with the way he got lit up in Boston he still managed to salvage a .914 SV% and a 2.56 GAA overall. 711 Shots against in 25 games (an average of 28.4 a game) and he came through in just as many clutch moments (if not more) than he didn't come through in.

And even with the games he got lit up in, he was still our best player in the finals for sure, that's just a testament to how well he hald us in when we couldn't score. Without him Boston probably would have beaten us in 4 or 5.

And if Luongo hasn't accomplished alot, then by your logic, niether have: Lundqvist, Kiprusoff, Halak, Miller, Howard, Price, Backstrom, Rinne, Smith, Elliot exc. either. Infact Lu has acomplished more than pretty much all of these guys according to your logic.

I didn't ask if you agreed with any management decisions made since inception.

What I asked was what you liked about the Canucks.

For anyone who is a fan this would be an EASY question to answer. Some may recall their childhood watching games, or name a couple past or current players, or say they are loyal to their hometown team despite a lack of agreement with management's decisions... etc, etc.

Your refusal to answer the question makes it obvious that you deserve a slow clap for being the most epic troll we've ever had on CDC. The proof is in the pudding my friend. I don't really care which fanbase you are actually from, but have fun watching which ever Canucks team hits the ice pummel yours like we have for the last several years.

Considering Schneider's status as a BACKUP goaltender which carries less pressure than a 1G,

Considering Schneider's length of time he has been in the league as a BACKUP versus Luongo's 1G status,

Considering the team plays much more reserved in front of their BACKUP,

Stats regarding Schneider's BACKUP career are skewed while Luongo's are exposed.

Vancouver cannot dispose of the man who virtually single handedly made the Canucks a respectable franchise because some kid comes in and is liked by the CBC.

By that rationale, Hodgson should have been GIVEN the 2C position and/ or Kassian should be GIVEN 1RW.

Give Luongo a 1D and he'll shine beyond recognition. Give Schneider full time duty and the Canucks are no more.

Not at all. However, when that "somebody" states categorically that Luongo has "demanded a trade on multiple occasions" (something completely untrue) and that Mike Gillis erred in not trading Cory Schneider before his value was anything close to what it is now, I believe that others are justified in questioning that somebody's opinions.

Considering Schneider's status as a BACKUP goaltender which carries less pressure than a 1G,

Considering Schneider's length of time he has been in the league as a BACKUP versus Luongo's 1G status,

Considering the team plays much more reserved in front of their BACKUP,

Stats regarding Schneider's BACKUP career are skewed while Luongo's are exposed.

Vancouver cannot dispose of the man who virtually single handedly made the Canucks a respectable franchise because some kid comes in and is liked by the CBC.

By that rationale, Hodgson should have been GIVEN the 2C position and/ or Kassian should be GIVEN 1RW.

Give Luongo a 1D and he'll shine beyond recognition. Give Schneider full time duty and the Canucks are no more.

I grew up in Vancouver, played hockey all my life (including during an intermission at a Canucks/Oilers game way back in the day, when the Oil featured Mark Messier). 1994 was a special, special time in the city; far more special than 2011, IMO. 2011 had a bit of a sour taste to it throughout. I was very surprised that we ended up getting past Chicago, after Toews willed himself past our pathetic D en route to a tieing SHG in the 3rd period.

Listened to a lot of CKNW growing up, and of course the Team when it began. Things like that tie me to the team, I guess, but that doesn't mean that I have to agree with every single move that the GM makes, nor does it mean that I have to think that every prospect which we control has amazing upside and will surely be an All-Star in the future. How does this make me any less of a fan? Is it really that astonishing to think that somebody might think that Mike Gillis made an error in how he handled our goaltenders?

What makes you less of a fan is that even though you were presented with an easy opportunity to say ANYTHING positive regarding the Canucks you made it like pulling teeth. You would think that someone who is a fan would offer up some sort of a reason why they are one. It takes no prompting to have you spew regurgitated garbage about how everything the Canucks do or have done smell like week old kitchen refuse, but it takes a cattle prod to get you to say something that might be a positive remark.

You are no fan. You are only aware of the Canucks to have the satisfaction of arguing with people that are.

The only year that Schneider has had as a starter as a professional is 09/10. His other years he has been a 1a or a backup.

In 09/10, Schneider looked just as calm and collected as we are used to seeing him playing in the NHL. However, he was prone to bad games where it looked like he couldn't stop the easiest shots. He had 5 games where his GAA was 6 or higher (Luongo had 4 of these games last year). He had 2 entire months where is GAA was 3 or higher (luongo's GAA went over 3 in October). All of his other months were closer to a GAA of 2.

For everyone saying that Schneider is consistent, we have no idea how he will respond to starter minutes in the NHL. If his previous starter minutes are taken into consideration, we may be having the same "inconsistency" conversations with him as well.

The only year that Schneider has had as a starter as a professional is 09/10. His other years he has been a 1a or a backup.

In 09/10, Schneider looked just as calm and collected as we are used to seeing him playing in the NHL. However, he was prone to bad games where it looked like he couldn't stop the easiest shots. He had 5 games where his GAA was 6 or higher (Luongo had 4 of these games last year). He had 2 entire months where is GAA was 3 or higher (luongo's GAA went over 3 in October). All of his other months were closer to a GAA of 2.

For everyone saying that Schneider is consistent, we have no idea how he will respond to starter minutes in the NHL. If his previous starter minutes are taken into consideration, we may be having the same "inconsistency" conversations with him as well.

Archived