The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] (Poll Added) Early returns on the maturation, transformation of Kassian with Wolves encouraging

JohnLocke

Would you do the Hodgson Kassian trade again?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hope Kassian's numbers emphasize his playmaking. Even last season his ability to take the puck into the offensive zone and do something useful with it was very apparent. I think some people are drawing the Bernier/Pyatt comparison solely based on the facts that Kassian is big and didn't score very much for us, and are hoping for this perceived "Bernier/Pyatt" clone to magically evolve into a Lucic or Bertuzzi once the coaches feed him enough 'rare candies.' Player development doesn't work like that. He has the raw ability that neither Pyatt nor Bernier ever had. He just needs to clean up his execution and calm his nerves. He's a heads-up power forward, and that doesn't translate into being a plug unless someone really screws up with your development, putting you in situations where you're unable to score due to weak linemates or tough opposition. We would be stupid to put him on a grinding line. We saved him from Buffalo, and without a season to lose.

Just a point. Bernier was a 1st Rounder who was highly thought of. For whatever reason it never clicked for him until last year. I thought he was dominant in his 4th line role for the Devils in CUP play. His line was doing so well that their minutes kept increasing as they went thru the playoffs. Sometimes you have to have that right mix of players and a coach who knows how to play you.

Just a point. Bernier was a 1st Rounder who was highly thought of. For whatever reason it never clicked for him until last year. I thought he was dominant in his 4th line role for the Devils in CUP play. His line was doing so well that their minutes kept increasing as they went thru the playoffs. Sometimes you have to have that right mix of players and a coach who knows how to play you.

I hope Kassian's numbers emphasize his playmaking. Even last season his ability to take the puck into the offensive zone and do something useful with it was very apparent. I think some people are drawing the Bernier/Pyatt comparison solely based on the facts that Kassian is big and didn't score very much for us, and are hoping for this perceived "Bernier/Pyatt" clone to magically evolve into a Lucic or Bertuzzi once the coaches feed him enough 'rare candies.' Player development doesn't work like that. He has the raw ability that neither Pyatt nor Bernier ever had. He just needs to clean up his execution and calm his nerves. He's a heads-up power forward, and that doesn't translate into being a plug unless someone really screws up with your development, putting you in situations where you're unable to score due to weak linemates or tough opposition. We would be stupid to put him on a grinding line. We saved him from Buffalo, and without a season to lose.

great point, Pyatt was also a first rounder. Sadly at this point the comparisons to those to players are too easy to make for Kassian who finds himself at the same point Bernier and Pyatt were a few years back between trying to make as a top 6 or becoming a 4th line grinder. Lte's hope he fairs better than those two players and becomes our next Bertuzi minus the sucker punching.

Pyatt/Bernier could arguably be considered more "skilled" but neither had the agression level of Kassian. If Kassian busts and becomes a 4th line guy he would be more comparable to Mike Rupp, Chris Thorburn or Chris Neil. PPG guys in the OHL. Rupp was a first rounder, Thorburn a second rounder. 5-10 goal, 15 fight kind of guy.

Are you on crack? Taylor Pyatt and Steve Bernier are no where close to as skilled as Kassian. Firstly, he is the only one of the three to play in the world juniors, the other two never got there, that's a pretty good guage right there. Second, he spent more time in the box in junior vs. the other two which limited his pt totals. But from a pure talent perspective, there is a significant difference in the hands and speed and mobility vs the other two.

Pyatt is a plumber, he has hands of stone, good on the boards and in a checking role. Has a decent shot but certainly not good at creating oppty's and is an up and down winger. Not mobile doesn't see the ice, doesn't hit. Bernier is pretty much the same but doesn't have the shot, is a decent hitter and fourth liner.

Zack has top two line skill and has the ability to be a 50-60 pt player in the NHL minimum. I actually beleive this kid is going to be the next captain of the Canucks and will hit 30-35 goals on a consistent basis as he starts maturing at 25 or so (depending on who is center is, and the composition of the team/ are we still competiive).

Archived