The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT- Wolves vs. Heat Weekend

Ryan Murray

/\/\ Point. All is about as expected from the prospects, but I just don’t know about Schroeder. That Lou for Kadri plus trade--one which If I were Gillis I would have told Burke to go climb a tree earlier--is maybe worth thinking about now.

For skilled forwards, you can tell the guys who are going to the show by the amount of chances they generate, maybe even more than putting up points. Taking the puck inside the danger zone and reading the play and being open for a pass, consistently. Guys like Kassian, and Beartchi and Horak for the Flames, have it in spades, while others are still looking to find their way.

On a more positive note, having a physically imposing alpha of a team is refreshing. Though Wolves have tons of undersized players, they don’t suffer for it any since Kassian, Desbiens, Pinizzotto, and Mallet own the boards and handle their police duties with enthusiasm. It is nice to have guys in the system that have this down instinctually and don’t need to be prodded.

Man, it is great to see Kassian play such a dominant game. He really does look like Big Bert out there, though not quite so big and with more speed (it balances out).

Lack, can't blame him. Made some big saves, nothing he could really do (though that 1st goal...we may have some great goalies in the organization but not one of them can handle the puck :lol:).

Not giving up hope on Schroeder by any means, it's only 5 games, but he sure isn't doing much or producing much.

Mallet had a good game! That was pretty awesome to see him catch that guy in the trolley tracks then feed knuckle sandwiches! As I saw it I got so much more locked into the game. It hit me that I was really watching hockey, and it was awesome. I bet he could be on the Canucks in a year or two.

So i don't exactly follow the Wolves but did catch the game yesterday and either Schroder was having a really bad game or all this improvement the Canucks brass talks about in his game is just that; talking up your prospect. He did not look like a guy anywhere close to winning a spot with this team. Maybe there is some truth to those Bozak rumors.

So i don't exactly follow the Wolves but did catch the game yesterday and either Schroder was having a really bad game or all this improvement the Canucks brass talks about in his game is just that; talking up your prospect. He did not look like a guy anywhere close to winning a spot with this team. Maybe there is some truth to those Bozak rumors.

Its understandable why Gillis would target Bozak, he slots in as 3rd line center perfectly, and also has shown that he can move into the top 6 if needed temporalily. He's definelty a much "safer" option than Kadri or Colborne if we're looking for a center from Toronto.

The only problem is he isn't exactly a prospect anymore so what you see is pretty much what you get. A 40 point third liner who is only under contract for 1 more year shouldn't be the centerpiece of a Luongo trade so I would hope a high pick, or another prospect would be coming along with him.

As for Schroeder, the Canucks might have to take the Detroit approach with him and develope him longer. If he breaks into the NHL at 24 than so be it. That's alot better than calling him a bust because he's not NHL ready a couple years after being drafted. Unfortunately cdc will be throwing him under the bus and saying he's a useless plug if he's in the AHL for a few more years.

Its understandable why Gillis would target Bozak, he slots in as 3rd line center perfectly, and also has shown that he can move into the top 6 if needed temporalily. He's definelty a much "safer" option than Kadri or Colborne if we're looking for a center from Toronto.

The only problem is he isn't exactly a prospect anymore so what you see is pretty much what you get. A 40 point third liner who is only under contract for 1 more year shouldn't be the centerpiece of a Luongo trade so I would hope a high pick, or another prospect would be coming along with him.

As for Schroeder, the Canucks might have to take the Detroit approach with him and develope him longer. If he breaks into the NHL at 24 than so be it. That's alot better than calling him a bust because he's not NHL ready a couple years after being drafted. Unfortunately cdc will be throwing him under the bus and saying he's a useless plug if he's in the AHL for a few more years.

Man this is bang on. MSL didn't break out till he was around 24. I do not want to give up on Schroeder yet. So what he takes more time to develop. Nothing wrong with that. Give him the time and I promise you he will shine. Just like how everyone said we lost the deal for Kassian, yet they all see how an off-season can prove beneficial to a young player. I'm actually very excited for our prospects and like where the direction of this team is going. I would like to see a another big forward added next year at the draft and then add some really good d Propsects.

I wonder if something like

Luongo + Schroeder+ Sauve

for

Bozak, Kadri, Franson

Kadri really helps our prospect pool especially after losing Hodgson and Schroeder not doing much, Franson could turn out to be a solid top 4 with proper development, has good offensive ability and shot. Bozak plays 3rd line.

TO gets an elite goalie, Schroeders a work in progress kinda of like Kadri and Sauve who could turn out to be a bottom pairing defenseman.

Archived