The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

I didn't think it would be the same format as the regular negotiations either, at least not along the lines of putting forth proposals or creating proposals directly out of the meeting. I'd hope it's a chance for both sides to talk and ask questions, possibly even putting forth suggestions of points that are holding up negotiations currently, but I could also see the NHL wanting it to have been a meeting so they could tell the players, "This is what we've been proposing compared to what we believe Donald Fehr has been telling you."

If Steve Fehr is in attendance, then that would limit this just being an instructional presentation by the NHL bashing his brother, but hopefully everything is set up for open and honest dialogue.

well, it is coming out of Boston - Centre of the Hockey Universe 2.0?

anyhow, I think when the actual list of six players is finalized we'll be able to tell whether the NHLPA is looking at this as a serious negotiation or media spin from the league. If they send in nothing but Crosbys and Toews, they're not taking it seriously.

Let' play conspiracy theory 101 for a bit:1) BoG meeting with GM's will be held December 5th (begin looking at schedule, reviewing the deal, approvals, etc)?2) Rogers Arena is opening up the ice to public rentals for 'sometime in December' for the first time since summer, while on record since September noting rentals would be closed as long as there was an NHL lockout3) Jacobs is closely tied into this negotiating and is a Boston Bruins tie in with the reporter out of LEFT field reporting a deal to be made(bit of a news story drop prior to the meetings?) - and of course Daly would deny such a thing...4) Maple Leafs Luongo jersey came out of the blue in Toronto over the past 24-48 hours with meida re-drumming up a thread that was all but dead during the lockout 5) Arniel out of the blue pulls 2 of his best players (Kassian and Schroeder) for really no big reason (perhaps resting them for pending camp and 2nd line duties?)Could be nothing but rubbish, but where's there is smoke...

Beat me to it! :P

Edit: Team 1040 also retweeted that post.

Poetica is going on like this is in fact a negociating session. While I can agree with the idea that more players should be there I don't know who set the limits, the PA or owners. I highly doubt there will be any overt slagging of individuals. I think ownership's whole purpose is a nuanced pitch of their negociating position. The inferance being that the PA negociating team is not clearly explaining such to all the players. This will not be verbalized in a direct manner. Ownership wants to make clear to the players in a direct manner that the ownership position is firm.

IMO more players in a meeting helps the owners not the players. Owners know they won't be able to convince every player in the meeting. Out of 6 players they might convince 2 but out of 15 or 20 the numbers go up, those players go back and sell it to their friends and it gets things moving.

Fehr would not want too many players in the meeting. At least this is what I think.

I`m starting to think this whole player/owner meeting is turning into a bad joke.

Some suggest #NHLPA would cave on "make whole" if owners give in on contract rights and proposed pension #NHL

As per A. Strickland

To follow up what Steve Burton reported: have always felt significant progress would ONLY be made quietly and behind closed doors. #hopeful

Dale Arnold @DaleEArnold

Haven't heard anything like Steve Burton's report, but remember the WBZ radio arm is the flagship station of @NHLBruins. Hope he's right.

Arnold is "Bruins and NESN Daily host on NESN. Only person to do play-by-play for all five Boston pro teams. Semi-cool Dad." according to his twitter.

Jeremy Rutherford @jprutherford

Steve Burton of @wbzsports in Boston is reporting that a deal to end the lockout could be announced soon. Burton is very tuned into Bruins.

Woo

IMO more players in a meeting helps the owners not the players. Owners know they won't be able to convince every player in the meeting. Out of 6 players they might convince 2 but out of 15 or 20 the numbers go up, those players go back and sell it to their friends and it gets things moving.

New voices in NHL labour talks may provide last chance to salvage season

The conclave of hockey players and owners in direct talks – without NHL commissioner Gary Bettman or NHLPA head Donald Fehr in the room – is the best hope to save the season, say several sources with direct knowledge of the negotiations.

Optimism, however, varies among those involved, ranging from “I’m hopeful,” to the opposite, “I’m not.” The most negative view sees the season likely cancelled, whereas the most optimistic believes Tuesday’s meeting could revive the stalled labour talks.The players-owners meeting in New York, which takes place on the 80th day of the lockout, comes the day before the NHL’s board of governors convene. The players-owners meeting, if positive, could stretch into Wednesday.

Tuesday’s meeting, in the wake of last week’s failed mediator-led sessions, is an attempt to remix the recipe. The NHL Players’ Association hadn’t said who would attend, but the likes of Chicago’s Jonathan Toews were headed to New York. Among owners, two mainstays will be there, Jeremy Jacobs of Boston and Murray Edwards of Calgary, but are complemented by a fresh cross-section of the league, including Pittsburgh’s Ron Burkle and Tampa Bay’s Jeff Vinik.

The new mix of voices and perspectives may be what is needed to revive the stalled talks, one owner source told The Globe and Mail on Monday.

A second owner source, who had been previously pessimistic about the prospects for a season, felt optimistic Monday. He said the owners’ ability to present “unfiltered” views could help.

“I’m hopeful,” the source said. “If it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen this week.”

A third owner source said the NHL has already offered a fair deal and that there is nothing more to cede to the players, and blamed Fehr for the impasse. The source envisions a repeat of 2004-05, the lost season. “I don’t think we’re playing,” the source said. “That’s the bottom line.”

While at least several owner sources feel some optimism, there remains an entrenched chasm in points of view. The players want the owners to yield more. The owners believe they have ceded enough.

“We feel we have given up a lot,” a fourth owner source told The Globe in late November just before the failed meditated talks.

On Monday, some hope did seem to percolate. The new owner names were parsed.

The presence of Larry Tanenbaum, co-owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs, was noted, in part because the Leafs, who were pegged by Forbes last week as worth $1-billion, stand to lose the most by not playing.

Burkle is a friend of labour, having been previously honoured for humanitarian work by the largest union in the United States, the AFL-CIO, and being chosen man of the year by the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor. Vinik was saluted by his locked-out captain, Vincent Lecavalier.

“I’m happy he’s going,” said Lecavalier of Vinik on Sunday in an interview with the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s a guy who will listen and talk and have a conversation and see where things go.”

Jacobs’s reputation as a give-no-ground hardliner has been widely discussed, and his presence could squash new ideas from bursting forth. Still, the other mainstay owner who will be there Tuesday, Edwards, does have a relationship with players. “There’s a respect factor between us players and Murray,” Matt Stajan, the Flames player rep, said in mid-September.

Eliminating the intermediaries could bring together two sides that have more in common than believed, said labour-relations expert Maurice Mazerolle, who is director of the Centre for Labour Management Relations at Ryerson University and had previously worked on labour relations in construction, health care, teaching, and transportation.

“Both the owners and the players, I suspect, have a more common bond than those who represent them,” Mazerolle said. “It holds some promise. Sometimes you just have to go past the people who represent you and talk directly.”

Meetings such as Tuesday’s – which is not considered an official bargaining session – allow for what Mazerolle called “supposals” – ideas that can be chewed over, rather than hard proposals that are either accepted or rejected.

But, in the end, with the season on the line, “changing the human element” is the bet, in terms of the people in the room.

“When you get to a stalemate – which is what we’re talking about – you can take some people out of the room,” said Mazerolle, referring to Fehr and Bettman, both of whom are seen as dug in, the root of the stalemate. “In their absence, perhaps it sets a different tone. Perhaps the framing of interests is somewhat different. The dialogue could be different.”

Wow things are heating up! This coming out of Boston (Jacobs' organization) could mean he's leaning more towards a deal. I liked Johnny's post at the top of this page, far too many things happening recently to just be coincidence. Reports of a Luongo trade to Toronto from a reputable Sportsnet host, Leafs selling Luongo jerseys, Arniel scratching top prospects and of course the reports coming out of Boston combined with the timing of the BoG. Something is happening!

1 more sleep!

Sources tell WBZ-TV’s Steve Burton that an unannounced meeting was held Monday with a high-ranking official from each side, and significant progress was made toward salvaging the hockey season. It’s possible an announcement could come as soon as tomorrow or Wednesday.

Burton spoke with Bruins forward Milan Lucic at Joe Andruzzi’s foundation dinner, and he’s very excited about the possibility of getting back to work.

“You know if your sources are correct obviously it’s great news,” says Lucic. “It’s great for the fans I think especially. I know they’ve been probably going through the most heartache than anyone.”

Archived