The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hurricane Sandy

Wetcoaster

It's just the beggining. And I was responding to where you said 'no wind damage'. Sorry but most of your posts I see are wrong. No offence.

'Sandy has claimed its first casualty in Canada. A woman was killed when she was struck by flying debris in Toronto, the city police said on its Twitter feed Monday night.

The city is also experiencing wind gusts , wet roads and heavy rain. About 6,000 customers are without power, police said.'

More 'wind damage' to come. Along with everything else.

Again, when you're talking about 20% of the population, I would consider tree's falling and signs hitting people as minor damage. Thoughts go out to the families, but my point is it could be alot worse.

Power outages does not equal damage. Alot of that is done for safety precautions.

The only really damage I've seen is some cars, that crane that collapsed, and a front part of a building that fell down.

I never said it wasn't big. It's huge. Probably one of the biggest ever.

But size doesn't equal strength. It's a tropical storm right now, that just happens to be covering a huge area.

The damage won't be done from the winds, it will be done from the flooding. But I still wouldn't buy into the CNN hype machine that's trying to turn this into the storm of the century.

Size matters. That's precisely why there's hype over this. There are hurricanes with stronger winds but they damage less areas, and for a shorter time. And the conditions are vastly different to the storm happening now.

The numbers for Hurricane Sandy are over 50 million people affected if I'm correct, and it's not going to die out as it gets colder and goes onto land. It's going to intensify as it keeps heading upwards, and will cause extensive damage to inland and northern areas not used to this.

High winds, lots of rain inland, coastal flooding, massive amounts of snow in certain areas; all over a massive area and a LOT of people for a longer period of time. Why would people in Florida be shaking their heads at this? They don't see anything like this either.

You're sucked in by the terminology; hurricane is just a name, this storm is an incredible freak occurrence, and is likely to cause upwards of $55 billion of damage. $55 billionThe only storm worse than that? Katrina. We're lucky that people are building this storm up, because the extra precautions means that a more precious commodity can be protected: human lives.

I'm not saying anything about storm of the century, but this isn't something to be brushed off because of Sandy's classification as 'just' a tropical storm. More damage will be caused by this hybrid storm than all others in U.S. history but Katrina (or was Katrina just CNN hype?), and what's really scary is that all this might be is a sign of things to come. These conditions are being attributed to climate change after all.

Well if you wanna measure it in dollar amounts, not that they have any way of determining that right now, sure you can say it's probably going to be one of the most damaging hurricanes in history next to Katrina.

But you have to take into account the area that it covers. Of course there's going to be alot of costs involved in that. But that doesn't equal real damage. The damage I'm talking about is people being killed, and damage to infrastructure and buildings. And bottom line is right now, for a hurricane this size, there's really not that much damage being done.

God, why do people like you focus on one little thing and try create a giant argument out of it.

I said the damage won't be done from the winds, it will be done from the flooding. Meaning that that's where the majority of the damage will come from. And that's the truth. Why do you have to try and argue about it?

There's going to be damage to infrastructure and buildings. Somebody posted a video of a facility exploding. Crane broken by wind. Backup generator failure at a New York hospital. That's pretty hefty damage in my book. Those probably aren't the only notches in the belt. It'll add up and get detailed as the days go along.

Once again, the whole concern is about the area it covers. This is going to be happening across a huge part of the U.S. and Canada. It might not be super strong, but it's still pretty damn strong. And it's weird, and it's affecting a ton of people. Dollar amounts are an indicator of damage, and yes it's going to be a high amount because of the large area. But $55 billion+ is a high amount.

Every comment you have made is constant down play. It's worse than CNN and any news outlet blowing it up. Lets be intelligent enough to understand any news agency wants to make their coverage exciting. So take whatever you see lightly like I do.

You said the damage won't be done from winds. Not 'the majority won't come from winds'. Now you're just back tracking on your original statement which was wrong - again - no offence. Just all I see so far is plenty of wind damage and deaths. Your posts constantly downplaying and then stating no wind damage. Hence my responce.

Also it would be wise to reserve judgement until the storm has passed.

Archived