184 replies to this topic

#121 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

The real tragedy is that all my favorite shows were switched to re-runs last night...

[SARCASM WARNING for the sarcasticly-impaired]

#122 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,569 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Tonne of pics from the storm, crazy stuff!

http://www.thedailyb...ath-photos.html

Seaside Heights is badly flooded, boardwalk damaged from Sandy
Posted Image
The Jet Star roller coaster in Seaside Heights is hanging into the Atlantic Ocean this morning. Jersey Shore Hurricane News

SEASIDE HEIGHTS — The Seaside Heights boardwalk has been warped at most sections and completely destroyed in others, and a piece of the Jet Star rollercoaster is hanging into the Atlantic Ocean.

Several parts of Seaside Heights and Seaside Park are badly flooded with water clawing up to the doors of houses. Rt. 37 is also drowned with about six feet of swell from the bay.

Several businesses on the beachfront have been severely damaged and the boardwalk is buckled upwards in some parts and crumbled in others.

An amusement ride that once hung over the water is also completely washed away, its first hill climbing towards the sky then disappearing into nothing.

The first street off the boardwalk is covered for blocks in sands and debris.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 30 October 2012 - 11:38 AM.

2qnqykg.jpg

#123 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Millions of people losing homes, loved ones, pets, ect and you're worried about Isat results. My heart weeps for you.

Welcome to the "Its all about me" generation

Many people are affected in many different ways by disasters. I have family on the Eastern seaboard and am also waiting for the release of my LSAT score. Does me being disgruntled with LSAC's lack of preparation mean that I am any less concerned about those who have lost much more than a few days worth of waiting? Absolutely not. Does it mean that I've lost all sight of the bigger picture and am "focusing only" on how the hurricane affects me? Again, I would say no. I think we can all agree Hurricane Sandy was and continues to be a terrible disaster. Anxiety about LSAT scores, and, conveying this anxiety, is not tantamount for losing perspective on the bigger issues.

Edited by AK_19, 30 October 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#124 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,375 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

De Niro's done his reputation a lot of favours in this thread :rolleyes:

Cause I really care...

I still maintain that there's not as much damage as there could have been. Of course there's mass power outages and coastal cities are flattened, but when you compare it to other natural disasters, it's not that bad.

35 dead? That's a miracle, when consider the natural disasters that hit places like the Thailand and kill thousands of people. Or the Tsunami that hit Japan and killed 16,000 people.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#125 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,824 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

Cause I really care...

I still maintain that there's not as much damage as there could have been. Of course there's mass power outages and coastal cities are flattened, but when you compare it to other natural disasters, it's not that bad.

35 dead? That's a miracle, when consider the natural disasters that hit places like the Thailand and kill thousands of people. Or the Tsunami that hit Japan and killed 16,000 people.

early evacuation makes a difference. The Japanese Tsunami had very little if any warning. Big difference. Earthquakes are the toughest to get warning for.
Posted Image

#126 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump
Hurricane is good luck for Obama again- he will buy the election by handing out billions of dollars.

Will someone just punch him already? What a colossal douchebag!

#127 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,375 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

early evacuation makes a difference. The Japanese Tsunami had very little if any warning. Big difference. Earthquakes are the toughest to get warning for.

I know. I'm just trying to provide some perspective in all this. Because CNN tries to suck people in and sell destruction, and I was just trying to counter that.

If people's worst problem is that they don't have power, then they should be very thankful. If your still alive, and your house is standing, be thankful. It's not a tragedy to not have power, or to lose your car. Those things can be fixed and replaced.

When you consider the scale of this storm, to have as little casualties as they have so far is pretty amazing. Especially when you consider the storm that hit the pacific northwest in 2006 was responsible for 18 deaths. And there was about 30 times less people affected in that storm.

The fact that buses in New York are up and running again says it all.

Posted Image

#128 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,654 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Will someone just punch him already? What a colossal douchebag!

Trump is a mental case. He's making a mockery of the governance of America. Didn't have the you-know-whats to run for election himself but bashes the guy who is a hundred times more educated and ethical than Trump will ever be.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#129 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

I know. I'm just trying to provide some perspective in all this. Because CNN tries to suck people in and sell destruction, and I was just trying to counter that.

If people's worst problem is that they don't have power, then they should be very thankful. If your still alive, and your house is standing, be thankful. It's not a tragedy to not have power, or to lose your car. Those things can be fixed and replaced.

When you consider the scale of this storm, to have as little casualties as they have so far is pretty amazing. Especially when you consider the storm that hit the pacific northwest in 2006 was responsible for 18 deaths. And there was about 30 times less people affected in that storm.

The fact that buses in New York are up and running again says it all.

You're worse than CNN. Nothing 'amazing' about the casualties. They had time to prepare and evacuate, as someone already mentioned. You just keep repeating the same thing over and over again. I take CNN over you any day.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#130 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,375 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

You're worse than CNN. Nothing 'amazing' about the casualties. They had time to prepare and evacuate, as someone already mentioned. You just keep repeating the same thing over and over again. I take CNN over you any day.

Go ahead. I'm not forcing you to read my thoughts or to agree with me. You seem to have some obsession with me though.

People had plenty of time to evacuate during hurricane katrina too. And that took the lives of 1800 people. Again, try using perspective sometimes, it helps you see the world much better.

Posted Image

#131 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,733 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

When you consider the infrastructure damage, repair costs/times, and loss of dollars in economy, this will add up to more than any other hurricane.

LGA is flooded, JFK isn't opening until later, about 16000 flights have been cancelled, the MTA metro system is flooded and will take weeks before it is back to being fully functioning, tunnels are flooded and could have structural damage, not to mention the amount of damage to homes and high-rises. No power and no telecommunications in parts of Manhattan and most likely the other boroughs as well. This is just NYC.

The space (in km2) is smaller than other places like Florida or Louisiana, but given the amount of capital in NYC, the amount of businesses in the city, as well as its importance as a shipping/transportation hub, this disaster is much bigger than some posters in this thread make it out to be.

#132 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Tonne of pics from the storm, crazy stuff!

http://www.thedailyb...ath-photos.html

Seaside Heights is badly flooded, boardwalk damaged from Sandy
Posted Image
The Jet Star roller coaster in Seaside Heights is hanging into the Atlantic Ocean this morning. Jersey Shore Hurricane News

SEASIDE HEIGHTS — The Seaside Heights boardwalk has been warped at most sections and completely destroyed in others, and a piece of the Jet Star rollercoaster is hanging into the Atlantic Ocean.

Several parts of Seaside Heights and Seaside Park are badly flooded with water clawing up to the doors of houses. Rt. 37 is also drowned with about six feet of swell from the bay.

Several businesses on the beachfront have been severely damaged and the boardwalk is buckled upwards in some parts and crumbled in others.

An amusement ride that once hung over the water is also completely washed away, its first hill climbing towards the sky then disappearing into nothing.

The first street off the boardwalk is covered for blocks in sands and debris.

Even god doesn't like Jersey Shore (The TV show) :bigblush:

Posted Image

#133 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,375 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

It's interesting to see how people in north america measure disaster compared to other parts of the world.

People throw around the words "catastrophe", "tragedy" and "devastation" so casually. As if not having running water or power is a tragedy.

It seems like people try to measure their sorrow by how incovenienced they are by this whole thing. Just be thankful you're alive. All other things are just possessions. They don't have any real value compared to human life. One guy was actually complaining that his pool and his boat were damaged...Who cares? That's not a tragedy. Most people in the world don't even own a boat or a pool.

Just interesting to look at different people's perspectives in the world.

Posted Image

#134 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,824 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

It's interesting to see how people in north america measure disaster compared to other parts of the world.

People throw around the words "catastrophe", "tragedy" and "devastation" so casually. As if not having running water or power is a tragedy.

It seems like people try to measure their sorrow by how incovenienced they are by this whole thing. Just be thankful you're alive. All other things are just possessions. They don't have any real value compared to human life. One guy was actually complaining that his pool and his boat were damaged...Who cares? That's not a tragedy. Most people in the world don't even own a boat or a pool.

well said.
Posted Image

#135 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,733 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

Thanks, but this is the United States, and in particular, NYC we're talking about. It's then best to use US-based resources and to use a US-based definition of "disaster" than to compare it to global disasters/tragedies.

I suggest you search FEMA's definition of how they define "disaster" before any more of your diatribes.

#136 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,375 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Thanks, but this is the United States, and in particular, NYC we're talking about. It's then best to use US-based resources and to use a US-based definition of "disaster" than to compare it to global disasters/tragedies.

I suggest you search FEMA's definition of how they define "disaster" before any more of your diatribes.

All you have to do is look at the literal definitions of these words to know that they don't apply. I could care less what FEMA defines it as. They've already proven to be an incompetent organization.

Most every other nation in the world measures catastrophes by the loss of human life. In North America we seem to measure it by dollar amounts. Which is a backwards way of thinking to me.

Just because this is what the media tries to feed you, doesn't mean you have to eat it.

Posted Image

#137 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Sandy setting all kinds of new records. I think a great job was done in preparation for this. Low casualties considering the size of this storm and it seems most people were ready.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#138 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Real Person

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

time to rebuild. like always...

RIP for every victim in USA and Canada...

I remembered when I faced a hurricane while living in USA, apart from the "panic" from the population my previuos training done in Aviation helped me a lot. especialy because I know use aviation and nautical frequencies if I need help...

1) ok. you need food, but try eat less and keep fine for more time. it doesnīt matter if you have tons of food and water if you eat a lot. itīs a lot of wheight to handle, only get the food/water on the amount that you can handle...

2) prepare yourself for anything including loss of total comunication, tell everyone far from you what is your action plan if something goes wrong. normaly it help them to know what your are planning if something goes very wrong...

3) if you have some radio with you be sure that you know how use it. aviation and nautical emergency frequencies can be useful even if you donīt know the specific codes...

5) many things can be used as food, if the problem become serius some bugs can be a powerfull source of food, itīs nasty but itīs food. do not avoid if you need...

6) learn how filter some water and understand that sprite, milk or any juice contais water and sugar. itīs a powerfull source of energy. chocolate and other candies are also recomended, but not soo much...

7) a GPS isnīt useful if you donīt know how report your position with precision, you can check your position every 4 or 6 hours, save batery. use a compass and maps, check your position using everything like the sun, stars, rivers, mountais, destroyed buildings etc...

8) airplanes flying around you and ships on the sea can be used to check your position if you are lost, if an airplane is going close to the ground means that you can find and airbase/airport/airfiel close to you...

9) you donīt have to wash your clothes and take a shower. a nasty smell sometimes is useful to find and be founded...

10) save electrical energy, even a cellphone with no signal can be used as a lantern, use it in cycles, 10 minutes on for every 4 hours is enouth.

11) if you came from a diferent country know the phone of your embassy. itīs the fastest way to return to your country or to help you if you need...

12) NEVER walk or move from your position if you donīt have a PRECISE plan of what you gonna do. movements require energy and in a disaster you donīt have a lot of it and you have to save it as much as you can...
Shup up and fly! you´re not payed to think, you´re payed to fly!

#139 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,733 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

All you have to do is look at the literal definitions of these words to know that they don't apply. I could care less what FEMA defines it as. They've already proven to be an incompetent organization.

Most every other nation in the world measures catastrophes by the loss of human life. In North America we seem to measure it by dollar amounts. Which is a backwards way of thinking to me.

Just because this is what the media tries to feed you, doesn't mean you have to eat it.

Merriam-Webster: " a sudden calamitous event bringing great damage, loss, or destruction; broadly : a sudden or great misfortune or failure <the party was a disaster>" - http://www.merriam-w...ionary/disaster

Oxford: "a sudden accident or a natural catastrophe that causes great damage or loss of life: - http://oxforddiction...nglish/disaster

Canadian government: "one or more of the following criteria: 10 or more people killed; 100 or more people affected/injured/infected/evacuated or homeless; an appeal for national/international assistance; historical significance; significant damage/interruption of normal processes such that the community affected cannot recover on its own" - http://www.publicsaf.../index-eng.aspx

I couldn't find anything from the US pages on how they define disasters, but know that there's more to an event than just loss of life. As I said in my above posts, factors such as communications and economic hits have to be taken into consideration, not to mention access to clean water, sanitation services, and shelter. The fact that thousands have been evacuated from their homes, clean water supplies have been tainted by the mixing of sewage, and vital infrastructure has been damaged means this is a disaster.

#140 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,282 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Wow New Jersey' Seaside Heights is just a wreck, thats so sad.

Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#141 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,375 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Merriam-Webster: " a sudden calamitous event bringing great damage, loss, or destruction; broadly : a sudden or great misfortune or failure <the party was a disaster>" - http://www.merriam-w...ionary/disaster

Oxford: "a sudden accident or a natural catastrophe that causes great damage or loss of life: - http://oxforddiction...nglish/disaster

Canadian government: "one or more of the following criteria: 10 or more people killed; 100 or more people affected/injured/infected/evacuated or homeless; an appeal for national/international assistance; historical significance; significant damage/interruption of normal processes such that the community affected cannot recover on its own" - http://www.publicsaf.../index-eng.aspx

I couldn't find anything from the US pages on how they define disasters, but know that there's more to an event than just loss of life. As I said in my above posts, factors such as communications and economic hits have to be taken into consideration, not to mention access to clean water, sanitation services, and shelter. The fact that thousands have been evacuated from their homes, clean water supplies have been tainted by the mixing of sewage, and vital infrastructure has been damaged means this is a disaster.

It's definitely a disaster, I was only focusing on that word because they used it to describe one street that had a few fallen trees. But the words catastrophe and tragedy just seem over the top to me.

If we use those words here, what words do we have left to describe natural disasters like the Tsunami in 2004 that killed over 200,000 people.

Floods like this happen all over the world every year that cause widespread destruction. And it seems like those are just brushed off as another day in the news. But because it's Americans, everyone in the world stops and pays attention. It's just a weird phenomenon that I think is worth noting every once and awhile.

Edited by DeNiro, 30 October 2012 - 05:13 PM.

Posted Image

#142 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Breezy Point:
Posted Image

#143 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

I guess they really meant it when they said this was gonna be the last season of "Jersey Shore". I imagine the shirt shop and "Shore" house are likely destroyed.

#144 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,375 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Breezy Point:
Posted Image

That's some dense housing. Look how close those houses are together.

No wonder so many burned so quickly.

Posted Image

#145 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,733 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

It's definitely a disaster, I was only focusing on that word because they used it to describe one street that had a few fallen trees. But the words catastrophe and tragedy just seem over the top to me.

If we use those words here, what words do we have left to describe natural disasters like the Tsunami in 2004 that killed over 200,000 people.

Floods like this happen all over the world every year that cause widespread destruction. And it seems like those are just brushed off as another day in the news. But because it's Americans, everyone in the world stops and pays attention. It's just a weird phenomenon that I think is worth noting every once and awhile.

Is the coverage of this so shocking given that NYC is one of 3-4 "global cities" (the others being London and Singapore)? I don't think the attention is so much American-centrism as it is a disaster hitting what is generally perceived to be an area of high importance nationally and globally, as well as economically (what with major financial institutions being in NYC as well as the NYSE).

#146 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,733 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

This is what I'm most worried about - as much as we can get people to shelter and as much as we can get people away from flood areas, the quality of water in the area really hampers relief efforts.

Hurricane Sandy Spills Sewage, Triggers Toxic Troubles

NEW YORK -- Raw sewage, industrial chemicals and floating debris filled flooded waterways around New York City on Tuesday.

Left in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, the toxic stew may threaten the health of residents already dealing with more direct damages from the disaster.

"Normally, sewer overflows are just discharged into waterways and humans that generate the sewage can avoid the consequences by avoiding the water," said John Lipscomb of the clean water advocacy group Riverkeeper. "But in this case, that waste has come back into our communities."

One particular concern is the Gowanus neighborhood in Brooklyn, which abuts a 1.8 mile canal that was recently designated a Superfund cleanup site by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency due to a legacy of industrial pollution and sewage discharges.

"Everyone is always concerned about that," said Jim Gratson, who owns a building by the canal and leases a space where he builds sets for photo shoots.

On Tuesday morning, Gratson and his neighbors, most of them members of a small artist community, took turns using electric pumps to flush the chest-high water from their basements. Standing over the cellar steps, Gratson pointed down at the brown, murky soup. Just a block away, he said, the basements, while flooded, looked like they'd escaped the canal's putrid grasp. "I lent my pump to my friend around the corner and his water is crystal-clear," said Gratson.

While a storm surge of up to 11 feet had been predicted, the confluence of Sandy and a full-moon high tide exceeded expectations: Waters rose a record 13 feet in New York Harbor.

Judith Enck, regional administrator for the EPA region that includes New York, told The Huffington Post that preparations for such a pollution event are difficult regardless of how accurate the weather forecast.

"Little can be done in the hours or days in advance of major storms that were experienced last night," said Enck. "Instead, multi-year improvements need to be made. The situation illustrated the need to clean up urban waters and the benefits of a comprehensive Superfund cleanup."

The best officials could do was urge residents to steer clear of the contaminated waters.

Late Tuesday morning, City Councilmember Brad Lunder, who serves the neighborhoods around the Gowanus Canal, sent an email message to his constituents.

"If you live near the canal, do not touch standing water in the area, or any sediment or debris left by Gowanus flood-waters," he wrote. "After the storm, the EPA and DEP are committed to work together to conduct any sampling needed to address potential issues of toxicity created by the flooding."

Unfortunately, said Linda Mariano of Gowanus, people in her neighborhood didn't have Internet service Tuesday morning to retrieve the email. Before she had read his note, Mariano was walking the streets near the canal scoping out the damage. She was surrounded by families, including young children, doing the same.

A similar post-Sandy scene played out at New York City's other Superfund site, Newtown Creek, a waterway that forms the border between Brooklyn and Queens.

Richard Platzman, 30, owns a condo a couple blocks from the creek in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. While his building wasn't affected, he said, some of his neighbors had been hard hit.

"The fact is that waste from all these industries -- metal-working, pencil manufacturing, everything -- all this stuff is going to rise up into the dirt, basements, everywhere," Platzman said, noting Greenpoint's widely-recognized designation as New York City's most polluted neighborhood.

Platzman said he expects severe storms in the years ahead to bring more of the same toxic mess. He said he might at least reap the benefit of increased property value, thanks to his location just outside the flood zone.

Nearby, at the the Greenpoint Manufacturing and Design Center, all four buildings sustained flooding. One basement took on six or seven feet of water, said Brian Coleman, who runs the center. As of Tuesday afternoon, he was still holding off on pumping the water in anticipation of further flood waters with the next high tide.

"Toxic chemicals are a long-term concern," said Coleman. "But those of us who work here, we've learned to manage our lives around it as best we can. Right now, there are too many other things to worry about."

Combined sewage overflows, so-called CSOs, are also nothing new for New York City. As The Huffington Post reported in September, a number of older U.S. communities -- including a number of East Coast cities affected by Sandy -- sit atop antiquated plumbing that carries sewage, industrial wastewater and rainwater together to treatment plants.

As little as a quarter-inch of rain can be enough to overburden the multi-use pipes in New York City and trigger a CSO, according to Riverkeeper.

"What happened last night in terms of CSO releases is what happens chronically in wet weather events throughout the year," said Lipscomb, pointing out that 27 billion gallons worth of the mix spills into New York Harbor every year.

Perhaps the one consolation of Sandy’s storm surge and rain, said Lipscomb, is that the sewage is likely heavily diluted.

But he adds that his concerns for human health -- and the water's health -- extend long-term.

"You can think about this like an Exxon Valdez accident, but instead of there being one contaminant it's a zillion contaminants -- from floatables to dissolvables to containers of contaminants -- and instead of one location, there's a zillion point sources," Lipscomb said. "This is a stunning pollution event. I don't think the harbor has ever taken a hit like today."

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000003

#147 Mr. Shakermaker

Mr. Shakermaker

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,322 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

I would say that but even moreso architecture played a massive role here
Posted Image

#148 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

And will probably only get tougher , after the ruling by the italian court .

What expert will want to commit to making a forecast if they can be found criminally negligent if they get it wrong .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#149 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

GOES-13 Sees Life and Death of Hurricane Sandy
This animation of satellite imagery shows the life of Hurricane Sandy from its development in the Caribbean Sea on Oct. 21, through its track up the U.S. East coast and landfall. The animation continues through Oct. 31 when Sandy had weakened to a remnant low pressure area. Credit: NASA GOES Project

http://www.nasa.gov/...ia_id=154883651

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#150 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,824 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

I would say that but even moreso architecture played a massive role here

property damage yes, but death toll will be much reduced if people had time to evacuate. japan is more tsunami ready than any other nation. can contrast that with the Indonesian tsunami, where readiness was much worse, hence higher death toll.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.