Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

How much does a Gaming PC cost?
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#32 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,675 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

just another reason to support the WiiU, the first next gen console, offers both digital download and physical copies, 349.99, touchscreen controller, native 1080P, backwards compatibility, etc.

Edited by avelanch, 01 November 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#33 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,675 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

How much does a Gaming PC cost?

usually around 900+ and then the annual/semianuual upgrades.

#34 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

looks like I'm switching to PC gaming

1st thing I need to do is get a PC

Join glorious PC gaming master race.

#35 please recycle

please recycle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

#1 People shouldn't be taking that $800 figure seriously. OP basically pulled that out of his ass. I've heard/read rumors that the next gen will drop for comparable or less than what the 360 came out at (heard as low as $399).

#2 How could you say that it's not time for a new generation of consoles. The lifespan of the 360 / ps3 is by far the longest of any console ever. It's pretty much only alive now because it's been artificially extended by online content etc. The hardware for the current gen consoles (especially the 360) is severely limiting what devs can do with games nowadays. It`s time to expand that. Not to mention Microsoft wants to turn the new xbox into a one stop shop for all things entertainment.

However, backwards compatability is a HUGE deal for me. I have never traded in a game in my entire life and still own every game i've ever bought. I love dusting off old favourite years down the road and re-enjoying them. And it's pretty damn obvious my 360 won't last forever so there better be backwards compatability. Huge slap in my face if there isn't.
Posted Image

#36 My Account

My Account

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

PC and that Oeya thing for me so it seems
Posted Image

Thanks avelanch for the sick signature

#37 GabbyTheAwesome

GabbyTheAwesome

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

usually around 900+ and then the annual/semianuual upgrades.

$900 pls. "Gaming" is upwards of 1300.

#38 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,675 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

900 for a bare bones, entry level, gaming pc is not really unfathomable (unless you need a new monitor), but it'll need upgrades within 6 months most likely. 1300 is a decent one that will probably last a year or 2.

#39 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

$299 seems extremely low, not sure how they would be able to release a brand new upgraded console for about the same price as they sell them now, because they usually lose money/make hardly any profit on the consoles themselves. So I cant really wrap my mind around that.

None of the big 3 make a profit on the sale of the console. They all lose money. Its in the games that they make their cash. Which is why no backwards compatibility. They dont want you sitting there playing your old games on the new system. They want you buying new games. Its also why they dont want you to be able to play used games. They make nothing on a used game sale.

It'd kill the game rental market too.

Who rents games anymore? Wasnt that the video rental places that are all gone now?

Posted Image

#40 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,674 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

They want you buying new games. Its also why they dont want you to be able to play used games. They make nothing on a used game sale.

Which is a load of crap, and it's something they need to be called out on. Yeah they don't make any money on used sales, but after that first new sale it's not their money to make anymore. You buy the game, it has to be yours to lend, trade, and sell.

Any attempt to change that should be met with heavy resistance. That would be moving from selling consumers a product, to selling them a limited licensed service. Again, it's a load of crap.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#41 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

I could build a system with a 660ti, z77 mobo, i5 and aftermarket cooling for $950. Not gaming?

Edit: buuuuut to be fair I didn't calculate for OS or peripherals. With win7 home premium more like $1050.

Edited by Masamune, 02 November 2012 - 05:27 AM.

#42 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,675 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

None of the big 3 make a profit on the sale of the console. They all lose money. Its in the games that they make their cash. Which is why no backwards compatibility. They dont want you sitting there playing your old games on the new system. They want you buying new games. Its also why they dont want you to be able to play used games. They make nothing on a used game sale.

Who rents games anymore? Wasnt that the video rental places that are all gone now?

nintendo has always made money on their hardware, the wii U is the first time they will be taking a loss on their console, and that's only because of the strong Yen/weak american dollar.

Also, Gamefly still exists for rentals, and it's VERY popular, as is game rentals at redbox. it's the online and automated vending rentals that killed the traditional rental stores. rentals are still a big business, they just evolved.

Edited by avelanch, 02 November 2012 - 06:35 AM.

#43 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,801 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

no resale on games equals no purchase of new system for me. I hope many other boycott the new consoles too. how can they expect you to buy a gaming system for 250-400 $ then spend another 70$ a month on games and another 40 for Xbox live semiannually.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#44 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,675 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

no resale on games equals no purchase of new system for me. I hope many other boycott the new consoles too. how can they expect you to buy a gaming system for 250-400 $ then spend another 70$ a month on games and another 40 for Xbox live semiannually.

then get a Wii U. it's next gen and allows resale (physical AND digital DL games are available), you also don't have to spend extra for online.

Edited by avelanch, 02 November 2012 - 06:51 AM.

#45 87Crosby

87Crosby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

im going to buy the sony around 2014 Christmas so the bug die down

#46 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,801 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

then get a Wii U. it's next gen and allows resale (physical AND digital DL games are available), you also don't have to spend extra for online.

I'd be completely down for that if Nintendo expanded their game selection to reach a more mature audience. favorite game is NHL (EA SPORTS ) from there it's a flurry of action adventure games like deadspace that Nintendo has yet to offer.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#47 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,675 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

I'd be completely down for that if Nintendo expanded their game selection to reach a more mature audience. favorite game is NHL (EA SPORTS ) from there it's a flurry of action adventure games like deadspace that Nintendo has yet to offer.

they already have much increased 3rd party support, and mature games are plentiful, just within the launch window.
Zombi U is one of the killer ap launch titles

List of "mature" games currently announced for the Wii U, most coming out at launch or within the launch window
Mass effect 3: Special Edition
Assassin's creed 3
007 Legends
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Bayonetta 2 (exclusive)
Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Darksiders II
Demon Tribe
Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (bloodier, harder, more weapons and characters, what NG3 SHOULD have been)
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
ZombiU

Edited by avelanch, 02 November 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#48 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

800$ for console is ridiculous

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#49 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

800$ for console is ridiculous

yeah especially because of the bad economy in the US. But I remember my friends getting PS3s for $800 when they launched but times are different now.
Posted Image

#50 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

yeah especially because of the bad economy in the US. But I remember my friends getting PS3s for $800 when they launched but times are different now.

No not really..? People are still spending.

If you had common sense you wouldn't even go near the Wii U.

Edited by Armada, 02 November 2012 - 07:14 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#51 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,675 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

If you had common sense you wouldn't even go near the Wii U.

if you had common sense you'd see there's no reason not to, and every reason to go for it.

#52 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

900 for a bare bones, entry level, gaming pc is not really unfathomable (unless you need a new monitor), but it'll need upgrades within 6 months most likely. 1300 is a decent one that will probably last a year or 2.

Go to NCIX and you can put together a half decent gaming rig for under a grand that wont need an upgrade for a couple years. The problem is most people spend a lot on things that dont matter much to a gaming rig which is just about everything besides the Vid card. Example: Does the game care if your using a i3 or i7 processor? No it makes no difference but people will pay more than twice as much for that i7 anyways...

Posted Image

#53 BoggyDepot

BoggyDepot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

I built my "gaming" computer at NCIX a year ago for about $650 and it runs every game on high with no stuttering so I'm not sure what you guys mean by needing to spend 1k. That being said I will probably have to upgrade the video card in a year or two, but still...
------------------------------------------------------------

#54 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

if you had common sense you'd see there's no reason not to, and every reason to go for it.

Nah.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#55 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

my bad then. but I hope Hurricane Sandy doesn't make it any worse than it already is.
Posted Image

#56 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:48 AM

I built my "gaming" computer at NCIX a year ago for about $650 and it runs every game on high with no stuttering so I'm not sure what you guys mean by needing to spend 1k. That being said I will probably have to upgrade the video card in a year or two, but still...

Dude, can you list the specs? I'm curious.

#57 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

Go to NCIX and you can put together a half decent gaming rig for under a grand that wont need an upgrade for a couple years. The problem is most people spend a lot on things that dont matter much to a gaming rig which is just about everything besides the Vid card. Example: Does the game care if your using a i3 or i7 processor? No it makes no difference but people will pay more than twice as much for that i7 anyways...

Very true. Although getting a good Motherboard is essential if you intend to upgrade. I don't really consider my computer a "gaming" computer but more a swiss army knife due to the 3570k.

If you want to build a computer just for gaming, you're going to want to start with the video card and an SSD. If you're like me and you want to render video/3d models, run buttloads of programs and do other CPU intensive functions, you really have to think about where CPU spending ends and Vid-Card spending begins.

#58 GabbyTheAwesome

GabbyTheAwesome

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

I could build a system with a 660ti, z77 mobo, i5 and aftermarket cooling for $950. Not gaming?

Edit: buuuuut to be fair I didn't calculate for OS or peripherals. With win7 home premium more like $1050.

I literally just built a system with those specs for 1300. I did use liquid cooling for the CPU, and added a SSD

#59 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Wasn't really on planning to buy a next generation console anyway. What i have right now (Xbox360&PC) is wonderful already.
But no bakwards compatibility and second hand games? I do not like this idea one bit. For me, personaly, I only buy new games when I either really want it or it's an amazing game. Most of the time, i buy used games.

On a side note: I really hope PS4 doesn't come out till 5-7 years from now. I DO NOT want KH3 to be a PS4 (or Xbox720) exclusive game. I dont want to buy a new console just for one game. :P

Posted Image

#60 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Posted Image

Buy this. You get something shiny and the games are harder.

Having said that...hoping this is still a few years away.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.