Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Van Sun Article: A frustrated fan makes a tough decision and says so long to the Canucks

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#31 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Yeah! Way to stand up and show the NHL!
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#32 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,511 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

If you think the lockout is just a rich man's problem, think again. 'No Canucks' impacts the local economy, including those at every pay scale, quite a bit. It also impacts the provincial economy quite a bit in the same way. And the lack of NHL hockey Canada-wide also impacts the national economy in the same way.

However, yes, we will live on.
Posted Image

#33 tmak01

tmak01

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Thanks NHL and Vancouver Canucks...

From Bc Lions, Whitcaps, Abbotsford Heat, Giants and every other Sports Team in lower mainland.

I actually cancelled my half seasons with the Canucks and got seasons with the Lions. So much cheaper and the canucks are one of the worst Managements in the NHL with their ridicolous ticket prices, food prices and parking at $30-$40.

For making me realize that you are just an entertainment and if you win a stanley cup its not gonna give me anything. I'm not getting any rings, money or y name on the cup so go to hell

#34 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Great article, and hopefully others follow suit. I'm not sure what this person was doing buying season tickets when she carries a balance on a line of credit, but that's another issue, I guess...

I know that a lot of people on this board are in their teens, but I can assure you that in the mid-to-late 90s, the Vancouver Canucks were not a very hot ticket at all. Lot of empty seats at GM Place. No reason why it can't happen again.

I love how you always look at the positive, King of the ES.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 23 November 2012 - 02:05 PM.

Posted Image

#35 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

From Bc Lions, Whitcaps, Abbotsford Heat, Giants and every other Sports Team in lower mainland.

I actually cancelled my half seasons with the Canucks and got seasons with the Lions. So much cheaper and the canucks are one of the worst Managements in the NHL with their ridicolous ticket prices, food prices and parking at $30-$40.

For making me realize that you are just an entertainment and if you win a stanley cup its not gonna give me anything. I'm not getting any rings, money or y name on the cup so go to hell

Yes the managments have really failed at an entertainment, haven't they. :frantic:

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 23 November 2012 - 02:07 PM.

Posted Image

#36 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,255 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

Actually that would be the exact opposite.

The management HAS succeeded... as they can charge those prices and STILL sell out EVERY SINGLE GAME.

Basic business is to make as much money as possible.
Posted Image

#37 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Can't blame her. This is old. As long as this lockout lasts there are fans that are going to react like this, and myself being one of them. I refuse to buy NHL apparel while this goes on. The NHL refuses to listen to the fans, and soon it's going to bite them in the butt.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#38 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

This strategy doesn't work very well when there are thousands on the waiting list for season tickets ...

While it is true that someone will get those tickets, I don't think anyone would argue that the NHL fanbase will not be as forgiving this time around.I'm sure there are other season ticket holders who will also be cancelling, while I'm sure there will also be waitlist customers who also won't bother.It's true, there are a few teams that won't feel the sting as much (ie: Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver). However, there are other franchises that will definitely feel the pinch, regardless of how well they have been doing, Detroit comes to mind first and foremost. I also believe the Minneapolis will also see a dip as well. These are places where there is definitely a fanbase, but not nearly as forgiving as a Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver. And that doesn't even mention the p*ss poor franchises where they need every season ticket holder they can get (ie: Florida, Tampa Bay, Dallas). This is not going to go over well in well over half of the franchises in the NHL.Long story short, this may not be as big a deal in for the Canucks organization, where the team has consistantly put a winner on the ice over the last decade. But in cities where people are a little more cautious with there money and haven't seen a sniff of playoff success, those organizations cannot afford to not only lose a season ticket holder, but also there fanbase that purchase merchandise.
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

[http://media3.giphy....Cl8Y/giphy.gif]

#39 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

POPULAR

Also there was mention of putting her refund on their line of credit. Ummm... if you have a bunch of debt sitting on a credit line...WTF are you spending that kind of money on hockey tickets for?!?!!! :shock: Messed up priorities!

Why do people get on their high horse and tell people what they should spend their money on. If I wanna blow my life's savings on an 8 month blow bender, what business is it of others.

Edited by Mike Versace ESQ, 23 November 2012 - 03:50 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#40 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

This is all coming from people who post on an NHL website, if you were really that mad you wouldnt be on the website every day.

#41 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

This is all coming from people who post on an NHL website, if you were really that mad you wouldnt be on the website every day.

There is a bit of a difference between chatting here and actually spending our money...
Infact; you could say that we have been chatting about what we ARENT
going to do for this league while theyre being turds...
so in reality this forum, provided by an NHL team, is allowing us to
formulate plans to not spend our money on this NHL team. <.<

Also, If this isnt cleared up by the end of dec. im sure a lot of us will split for a while.

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 23 November 2012 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#42 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Sad thing is this is merely a drop in the bucket. If this spreads and influences more fans then great but there needs to be a huge drop in season ticket holders to have any real affect. If say 25% of fans say FRAK YOU NHL then those tickets will just be bought up by hungry fans chomping at the bit. We need a LEAGUE WIDE BOYCOTT of all NHL merchandise and products not just the games. So when and if these disgusting money hungry vultures reach an agreement make dam sure they have no cash to pay anyone ! BOYCOTT THE NHL that is the only way to make a real tangible stand.

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society 

-Krishnamurti-            

#43 vavoom

vavoom

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Great post. My eyebrows were raised, as well, when that lady called it an "investment" :lol:

I would venture to guess that they probably sell a good chunk of the games as most season ticket holders I know do. Plus they run a business, so there is always an opportunity to use the tickets as "meals & entertainment" expense.

#44 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Good for her I guess? I mean really people dealing a monetary blow IS the only way it'll speak to the millionaire vs. mutli-millionaire

#45 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

Why do people get on their high horse and tell people what they should spend their money on. If I wanna blow my life's savings on an 8 month blow bender, what business is it of others.

Yeah I was thinkin same thing. Worry about your own priorities.. I'm 27yrs old and probably party too much and do all sorts of dumb crap people would shake their heads at.. I still get up every day with a smile on my face and go about my day being good to people and respecting their lifestyles as I would like mine respected.

People who consistently judge others for no reason must have some insecurities deep down or why would they care?

#46 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Fans need to get organized. Give the NHL a deadline to make a deal, if not they won't be receiving a penny from the organized fan group If tens of thousands of people signed it might get them thinking. They are arguing over money WE give them. If we totally mess things up they will think twice about locking out again. Last time the NHL came back way stronger after the lockout, so they weren't afraid of doing it again. We need more people like Meredith, especially from the teams who are already struggling financially.

If the NHL ever does start up again...i wouldn't mind seeing empty arenas across the NHL...fans aren't willing to put up with this BS anymore...the NHL and the Players need to get their act together...cause we the fans wont be staying around much longer.

2moy3iq.png

#47 NerdKilla

NerdKilla

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

bandwagoners will be out in full force the first day the puck drops, whether it be this year or the next

signing this petition to attempt to influence the end of the lockout is like trying to stop a falling tree by throwing a rock at it

#48 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Good for them they have balls. Unlike many on CDC who cries about the lockout yet kisses Aquilini's behind with a tribute thread.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#49 canucksnhl

canucksnhl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

My biggest concern with this lockout is: Are we ever going to see David Booth play a full season in a Canucks uniform?

The longer this lockout goes, the crazier fans will become. Giving up season tickets just like that... I respect the point she's making, and hopefully this raises more awareness of what she's doing to other NHL fans and NHL owners, but this is just another one of those things that gets stuck in the loop. It's not going to affect the negotiations.

I've never watched so much basketball during primetime until now. Damm you greedy NHL people.

Edited by canucksnhl, 23 November 2012 - 08:14 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#50 Laoag

Laoag

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Switch to baseball apparel. The Blue Jays have a stacked team now

...but baseball sucks... really bad!

#51 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Oh, boo hooo. One less person and an opening for more tickets, I hope some of these wish wash fans get bored and move on. That way tickets will be open more to the public, maybe I'll actually get to go to more than a few games. She may not be rich, but she certainly is well off if she can afford $19,000 on hockey a year. :rolleyes:

Don't blame the Canucks on the lock out, blame the NHL. So far not one player has given up on hockey that is on our team, they've all remained @home. Some of these people with their powerless feelings need to just cry me a river. :picard:

EDIT: I hope half of you realize that when the puck drops and hockey does eventually start up again and you come back, you're gonna look like idiots. And for those of you that do leave? Good riddens.. lol I know I'll definitely be happy with some of these "fans" finally gone.

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 23 November 2012 - 09:59 PM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#52 Oilers9977

Oilers9977

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

Seriously? I have little doubt that this person is speaking the truth and they spend $19000.00 a year watching Canuck hockey. I say that I believe it because today's world is so twisted in its priorities. She states that they don't make $250,000 a year and this 'investment' in Canuck tickets is a sizeable expenditure. I suggest she takes her new found savings and consult a financial advisor and reset their priorities.

There are no shortage of opinions on the right and wrongs of this dispute between millionair players and billionaire owners. The absolute irony is that so many fans actually think that either party give two hoots about the fans. People! They don't! I don't and will not buy season tickets as watching a game live is not worth it for the $'s demanded. If more people felt that way perhaps ticket prices might go down. I doubt it as there are enough fools lined up to take their place so they can make the scene.

She owns a business. Who knows how much she is telling thr truth. My family owns a business that does well and we spend $14 000 a year on season tickets plus playoffs and another $40 000 for advertising in the rink, website, and on the radio. She might be expensing them.

#53 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Pfffha.
Paleeease.
I can't feel sorry for someone that has had lower bowl season tickets for over 20 years.
"The first and only female producer at EA Sports on its NHL team"? The cost is probably a cool breeze through her bank account.
I feel worse for the kids and the nine to fivers that depend on hockey to unwind at night... something after work to look forward to!

I guess we all lose in the end, but honestly... A true fan is not dependent upon how much money they spend or how many jerseys they own. I'm more impressed by people that catch every season game WITHOUT having bought a ticket.

I streamed all my games for 2 years, I'm happy to say.
Not the best quality, but I didn't pay them a stupid cent.

If you can't quit hockey completely, I say spend the least amount of cash you can on them. I'm not going to cry for some lady that makes 150 grand a year. Have you seen what the EA staff gets treated like by directors and producers?!

I say again, "Pffffff"

Ah 9-5.... I miss those days....

Doesn't bother me a ton personally, I missed and was going to miss most games this year anyways working graveyards and sports so thats life.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#54 Rocket Robin

Rocket Robin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

The thing that pisses me off the most is its not about hockey anymore its about ho makes the most money very sad not likke it was 30 years ago that was hockey NHL with Betman means NO HOPE LEFT

#55 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Good for you Meredith i'm right there with you, i'm getting more and more apathetice with hockey. I've actually realized all the time i've been wasting following this sport. It's freed up so much of my time to pursue much more important and meaning full endeavors. I actually feel quit good about it .

Edited by Hockey Fever, 24 November 2012 - 01:27 PM.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#56 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Oh, boo hooo. One less person and an opening for more tickets, I hope some of these wish wash fans get bored and move on. That way tickets will be open more to the public, maybe I'll actually get to go to more than a few games. She may not be rich, but she certainly is well off if she can afford $19,000 on hockey a year. :rolleyes:

Don't blame the Canucks on the lock out, blame the NHL. So far not one player has given up on hockey that is on our team, they've all remained @home. Some of these people with their powerless feelings need to just cry me a river. :picard:

EDIT: I hope half of you realize that when the puck drops and hockey does eventually start up again and you come back, you're gonna look like idiots. And for those of you that do leave? Good riddens.. lol I know I'll definitely be happy with some of these "fans" finally gone.

Pull your head out of your rear and realize the only way to send a message is with your dollars. We are not telling you how to spend your money , we are suggesting a course of action to show the greed mongers of this sport we will not accept this garbage strike. Wishy washy fans ? What planet are you on ? The ignorance on this forum has reached it's highest level.

Edited by vanfan73, 24 November 2012 - 03:40 PM.

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society 

-Krishnamurti-            

#57 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

who are these people that buy NHL apparel on a monthly(weekly?) basis that threaten not to buy them while the lockout is going strong?

Edited by Strombone1, 24 November 2012 - 03:45 PM.

Commissioner of 2014-2015 Shapheat Fantasy Hockey League

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#58 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Pull your head out of your rear and realize the only way to send a message is with your dollars. We are not telling you how to spend your money , we are suggesting a course of action to show the greed mongers of this sport we will not accept this garbage strike. Wishy washy fans ? What planet are you on ? The ignorance on this forum has reached it's highest level.

Yes, you can send a message with your dollars, but does your message really mean anything if your dollars are simply replaced with another's dollars?

Unless there was to be a mass exodus of season ticket holders, giving up your season tickets to the Canucks isn't going to hurt the Aquillinis or the NHL in the slightest.

Now if it were one of the 20+ teams that don't sell out every game and don't have a massive waiting list for season tickets, THEN it would mean something.

#59 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

It was an ugly stretch of time, almost as bad as what the Leafs have been since the lockout. The Canucks simply could not compete. I remember that there was actually quite a bit of excitement generated when Andrew Cassels signed with us as a UFA, like it was some sort of major momentum boost :lol:

Tickets were far less expensive, which will happen when demand goes down. It is actually hard to picture that scene repeating itself, but if another season's lost, oh boy...

Heh, I remember sitting in the lower bowl for $40 during that time period. Aaah, good ol' student rush 50% games.

#60 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

Yes, you can send a message with your dollars, but does your message really mean anything if your dollars are simply replaced with another's dollars?

Unless there was to be a mass exodus of season ticket holders, giving up your season tickets to the Canucks isn't going to hurt the Aquillinis or the NHL in the slightest.

Now if it were one of the 20+ teams that don't sell out every game and don't have a massive waiting list for season tickets, THEN it would mean something.

Then I pledge not to buy Blue Jackets season tickets next season...take that, Gary!

Edited by Underachieving Hero of CDC, 24 November 2012 - 08:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.