842 replies to this topic

#331 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,253 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Then perhaps gun control debate should have it's own ongoing thread. It shouldn't be tainting threads like this one.

And after all the gun control debates there have been on this board, it's still the same people having the same debate. You're preaching to the same choir, Rupert. Should there be debate? Debate away.....but perhaps it should be in it's own thread. Count back and see just how many of the last posts have even mentioned the thread topic. Not many, right?

I don't believe that I'm tainting anything, but if the mods deem it necessary to break this into a separate thread, I'd have no complaint.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#332 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Then perhaps gun control debate should have it's own ongoing thread. It shouldn't be tainting threads like this one.

And after all the gun control debates there have been on this board, it's still the same people having the same debate. You're preaching to the same choir, Rupert. Should there be debate? Debate away.....but perhaps it should be in it's own thread. Count back and see just how many of the last posts have even mentioned the thread topic. Not many, right?

I've agreed with almost everything you've posted in this thread today except for your last 2 posts about how talk about gun control is off topic to what happened and shouldn't be in this thread. The facebook and twitter thing that was going on earlier today was stupid and didn't have anything to do with today that's why all that talk stopped. The gun control thing is directly related to what happened.

" Count back and see just how many of the last posts have even mentioned the thread topic. Not many, right?"

That's because most of us have already stated how saddened we are about what happened earlier in this thread and are now looking for ways to prevent this in the future.

#333 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

Posted Image

Ahh. the relevance of this movie today... striking.

I try to watch as many documentaries as I can and for some reason I never got around to watching this even though it is to a lot of people one of the best docs they've seen. I will definitely watch it today.

#334 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

The facebook and twitter thing that was going on earlier today was stupid and didn't have anything to do with today that's why all that talk stopped.

The supermod who was in the thread at the time did not agree with you and allowed that particular discussion to continue. The discussion ended because a few of us realized after a terse comment from another user that it was disrespecting the thread topic and the discussion moved to a thread of it's own. That discussion could have continued in here further disrespecting the thread topic but it didn't. Instead, this thread has turned into a thread about gun control.....a topic debated ad nauseum on this board in other threads over the years. As I said earlier, just rename it as it is no longer about the original topic anyway.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 09:01 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#335 believe in blue forever

believe in blue forever

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

I can't even imagine what was going on in the heads of those innocent children. :(

I was walking to school this morning and there was entire class of i think kinder gardeners walking to our school to watch a play. They were so cute and excited; they put a big smile on my face. It breaks my heart to think how somewhere else kids the exact same age where terrified and massacred

And the survivors also. Imagine how scared they must be just to go back to school. This is devastating for adults; think how kinder gardeners who went through the unimaginable are feeling at this moment.

R.I.P.

Edited by believe in blue forever, 14 December 2012 - 09:07 PM.

Posted Image

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. George R.R. Martin
Luongo is blamed for a lot of things. I think he was blamed for the teachers strike, and the high gas prices in Vancouver. Alain Vigneault

#336 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

I admire your zeal to get people to focus on the victims Bertuzzi Babe. But people are discussing parts of the root cause, so it is related.

Making sure those children do not die in vain is important. The families, friends of the victims are all hurting. I got choked up watching the news. It's horrendous. Those folks are going to be needing a lot of help and their lives will never be the same.

The fact on the same day a man with a knife attacked 22 kids in a school in China shows these are symptoms of deeper problems.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#337 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

The supermod who was in the thread at the time did not agree with you and allowed that particular discussion to continue. The discussion ended because a few of us realized after a terse comment from another user that it was disrespecting the thread topic and the discussion moved to a thread of it's own. That discussion could have continued in here further disrespecting the thread topic but it didn't. Instead, this thread has turned into a thread about gun control.....a topic debated ad nauseum on this board in other threads over the years. As I said earlier, just rename it as it is no longer about the original topic anyway.

How is it disrespecting the thread topic to talk about guns when guns were involved?

#338 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

I admire your zeal to get people to focus on the victims Bertuzzi Babe. But people are discussing parts of the root cause, so it is related.

Making sure those children do not die in vain is important. The families, friends of the victims are all hurting. I got choked up watching the news. It's horrendous. Those folks are going to be needing a lot of help and their lives will never be the same.

The fact on the same day a man with a knife attacked 22 kids in a school in China shows these are symptoms of deeper problems.

I'm done.....obviously the point I'm trying to make is not getting through and is falling on deaf ears. People have dropped in to comment on what happened today but the posts are lost amongst the gun control posts. And frankly, a lot of people don't want to have to read through all the gun control posts to get to the ones commenting directly on what happened today.

I absolutely understand the need to discuss the gun control issues.......I have a lot of my own stuff to say on the subject....just not in here, not today. I just wish the thread had remained focussed on the children and adults who were murdered today, that's all.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#339 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Actually its a murder problem but indeed some people have made the gun in general their problem.

And here is where I point out that guns make the task of killing people (especially multiple people) much simpler.

#340 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

I've been through a myriad of emotions today. Having a 7 year old girl, this hit me pretty hard. I try really hard not to think about those last moments, but I can't help it. The horror those little kids witnessed is just nauseating. They're so innocent and helpless and didn't stand a chance. Which makes me really freaking angry. It's times like this that I wish I were religious and this FRACKING coward would rot in hell for all of eternity!!! But no, he's in an eternal sleep(IMO, not trying to bring back the god debate) while so many are grieving....a grief that no parent/person should feel. And I commend Obama for putting into words what most of us are thinking/feeling(for the second time this week). I hope that he can get the wheels in motion for some real "change" because this is getting rediculous.

RIP to all the victims. My family and I are thinking about all those affected by this and hope they can stay strong and get through this.
Posted Image

#341 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Except it seems gun control is closely bound up with this particular incident and similar ones.

In Canada the École Polytechnique Massacre, also known as the Montreal Massacre when it occurred on December 6, 1989 at the École Polytechnique in Montreal, Quebec, became a focal point for increased gun control.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#342 Truculence

Truculence

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

And then Harper got elected.
Posted Image

#343 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

I don't what it is in the U.S but lack of gun control isn't the problem, in Israel and Switzerland for example a license to get a gun is available to every single law abiding citizen and are easy to get in both countries, and they both allow concealed weapon carry. Yet their murder rates are much lower than the US despite home gun owner rates being just as high as in the U.S.

#344 Truculence

Truculence

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Israel and Switzerland both have mandatory military service. Every citizen is trained on weapon use, care, and storage.
In the US, any barely functioning jackass can own an assault rifle. And many do. Who also often secure them in their sock drawers.
Posted Image

#345 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

guns are a problem. crazies are a bigger problem, lock up the crazies and you're taking a step in the right direction to fix things.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#346 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

I try to watch as many documentaries as I can and for some reason I never got around to watching this even though it is to a lot of people one of the best docs they've seen. I will definitely watch it today.

Definitely watch it. Of course, it's one side of the debate only, but it is very powerful and eye-opening.
Posted Image

#347 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

guns are a problem. crazies are a bigger problem, lock up the crazies and you're taking a step in the right direction to fix things.

The USA locks up more "crazies" than anyone else. How is that working out?

#348 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

The USA locks up more "crazies" than anyone else. How is that working out?

could'a fooled me. i see more crazies in the streets of n.america, than when i used to live in europe.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#349 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

My god. Just hearing about this.
My heart bleeds for these children and their families.
America needs to look within and see the trouble of it's people. Corporate agendas should be on the backburner and health, safety and welfare of Her people should come first.
I'm not a religious man in the least but my prayers will be with the victims of this terrible tragedy.
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#350 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

Keep guns off the streets and hands of people. Take away weapons if mass destruction.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#351 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

I know that one cannot get into the mind of someone like this, but why the H-E-double hockey stick does someone feel the need to take other's lives before taking their own? I'm sure the self-inflicted wound is pre-meditated, too, so why do you need to destroy so many lives prior? So horrible.
Posted Image

#352 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

I know that one cannot get into the mind of someone like this, but why the H-E-double hockey stick does someone feel the need to take other's lives before taking their own? I'm sure the self-inflicted wound is pre-meditated, too, so why do you need to destroy so many lives prior? So horrible.

Apparently Adam Lanza had a history of autistic behavior. That might shed some light. Not that there's much to be had.

http://www.dailymail...cut-school.html

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#353 Nail

Nail

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

RIP :(

sg25j6.jpg

Credit to khalifawiz501 for the beautiful sig!

#354 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Apparently Adam Lanza had a history of autistic behavior. That might shed some light. Not that there's much to be had.

If his mom was a teacher, I'm sure she'd be aware of various agencies that could help. It's so disheartening to know that there is simply not enough support for people with mental illnesses (I'm going back to that SFU student).
Posted Image

#355 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

If his mom was a teacher, I'm sure she'd be aware of various agencies that could help. It's so disheartening to know that there is simply not enough support for people with mental illnesses (I'm going back to that SFU student).

The article I've linked to says that his mom had retired from teaching in order to care for him. Just a horrible situation.

One of the quotes from the article

Parents who have not been united with their children are assuming the worst. One witness told WCBS: 'Police just told us everyone presumed missing is in the school and they are dead.'

Heartbreaking....everyone hug your children extra tight tonight and tell them you love them.

#356 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,638 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

The article I've linked to says that his mom had retired from teaching in order to care for him. Just a horrible situation.

Heartbreaking....everyone hug your children extra tight tonight and tell them you love them.

I called my 8 grand children to tell them how much I love and cherish them ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#357 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

I feel so terrible for the parents...

Posted Image

#358 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,512 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

So many lives ended far too early. :(

RIP

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#359 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

I actually cried a bit in the shower this morning just wondering what it must've been like to be one of those parents who received no news about their kid even after all of the unharmed ones were allowed to be found by their parents in the firehall...

So sad.

#360 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

I picked up my daughter from daycare today and I couldn't let her go.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.