The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

Everybody was vying for this kid's potential talent.

Give me the quote from Gillis on what he offered,not what you surmise or would like to extend was his offer.

Specifically,what did Gillis.org offer that would sway Justin here?

What was their sales pitch?

I am truly curious because whatever it was ,did not suffice.

Give me the quote from Gillis on what he offered,not what you surmise or would like to extend was his offer.

Equally, there's no reason to believe Gillis offered the best he could to Schultz. Rest assured, if Edler walks and these questions arise, Gillis will tell us all about how Schultz' heart was not here, how he was a demanding brat that didn't want to earn his playing time and is not the kind of character the Canucks look for.

Garrison is gonna be good though.

“I grew up in Canada and wanted to play in a Canadian city,"

The defenseman was also at least partially coaxed to Alberta by several individuals connected to the Oilers' glory years, including two of the NHL's all-time greats in Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey, according to the Edmonton Journal.

“I don’t think I said one word when they called. I was in shock,” said Schultz. “For them to even take the time to call me, that’s something I’ll never forget.”

The defenseman was also at least partially coaxed to Alberta by several individuals connected to the Oilers' glory years, including two of the NHL's all-time greats in Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey, according to the Edmonton Journal.

“I don’t think I said one word when they called. I was in shock,” said Schultz. “For them to even take the time to call me, that’s something I’ll never forget.”

Justin Schultz even said that Gretzky, Coffey, etc. calling had no influence on his decision. He said that it was Edmonton's new coach that did the best sell job on Edmonton and he felt it was a system that both suited his style of play and supported his growth as an NHL player (in other words, they are going to play a run'n'gun style and he was guaranteed lots of ice time).

Like I said before,a 12 year deal and the captaincy has been done so it would have been an interesting Gillis.org sales job.

The greatest Canucks d men of the last decade are playing golf in Tampa so no phone calls from Matthias or Sami.

A rookie looking into the eyes of Alain Vigneault with the thoughts of receiving generous ice time might would probably be disheartening in and of itself.

Like I said before,a 12 year deal and the captaincy has been done so it would have been an interesting Gillis.org sales job.

The greatest Canucks d men of the last decade are playing golf in Tampa so no phone calls from Matthias or Sami.

A rookie looking into the eyes of Alain Vigneault with the thoughts of receiving generous ice time might would probably be disheartening in and of itself.

And the exact same is true of Mike Babcock. That's the thing about being a young player in a contending organization - rookies don't steer the ship. They earn their dues. Zetteburg and Datsyuk were 25 years old before they got top 6 minutes in Detroit. Hodgson should have taken a cue from Kesler, the Sedins, Burrows and all the other players who took 3 or 4 years to earn their roles. Instead we listen to endless nonsense criticisms of AV as if he should be depending upon youngsters to drive his contender. The NHL is a meritocracy not a patronage appointment.

I have no idea what you are talking about and neither do you.

Schultz never said anything that you are implying and if you think Bobby Orr never steered the ship you are a lunatic.

The NHL is a bunch of people bent on dollars and winning and the brightest talent dictates everything to everyone.

They are the show.

Archived