The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Players are being blamed unfairly

Calicojack

I have no sympathy for them when they are considering suing their employers - then what? Expect their jobs back and everything is hunky dory?

Welcome to the real world, where if you don't like something about your employer you go somewhere else.

Yes, both sides are to blame - but the NHLPA and players are worse...

I have no sympathy for them when they are considering suing their employers - then what? Expect their jobs back and everything is hunky dory?

Welcome to the real world, where if you don't like something about your employer you go somewhere else.

At this point, I am ready to pay some attention to replacement players. Voting in favour of decertifying the union was the last straw for me as a fan. I am sort of in favour of union solidarity..but now that that doesn't seem to be working out so good in the fight to keep the average salary at 2.4million a year they are willing to cancel the union to force the league to honor the 2.4million average this year? Come on...

Bring on repacement players that will be happy to be there for a million a year each and lets get on with sports, we are all turning into accountants and lawyers here....where once we were happy to just be fans.

I'd love for you to take an economics course and learn something about supply/demand, free markets, leverage, operational leverage, monopoly, elasticity or take a law course and learn about something called collusion, anti-trust behavior, or learn about the difference between negotiating and capitulating, or take a math course and learn about the difference between a million and a billion (hint: it's very large..a billion is a thousand million).

The lack of education shown by so many Canadians on forums is frightening.

I really don't get why anyone who posts in favour of the players gets a ton of negative feedback. Although I think both sides are to blame for this mess, the players seem to be getting the majority of the hate from fans. Am I mistaken, or were the players LOCKED OUT by the owners?

Its almost like some fans feel like they are the ones paying the player's salaries (and yes, indirectly they are) so they get angry when the players fight for a bigger piece of the pie. But its not like we fans are going to be charged less money if the the players make less, the only people who will feel this is the team owners. Us dumb fans are charged the same regardless.

We are doomed to keep reliving these lockouts until the system itself is fixed. The problem is that some teams make tons of money, and some lose tons of money. The only way the league will ever be fair is if the bottom feeding teams are moved or eliminated, there is much more revenue sharing for a healthy league, and there is a solid, reasonable salary cap.

I didn't see Parise, Sutter, Weber, Doan etc., etc. not play the market to get the best deal they could get. Great for them. The previous CBA was done and honoured by both parties. The only problem I had with ownership in the current negociations was trying to role back existing contracts and only pay a portion of what was due. No good by me, a deal is a deal.

in the current round I also don't have a problem with the owners trying to shave their cost by paying less to players (outside existing contracts) and restricting player movement and contract lengths to cut cost and retain competitive play. If it takes until next year that is the way it goes.

Why are they worse? Since when is it the players fault that owners offer players the deals they sign? You mean to tell me that if you're an upper caliber nhl player and stand to be signed to a long term multi-million dollar deal provided to you by the owner and management of the club that you're not going to sign?

And why shouldnt they sue their employers? Their employers have not for a minute negotiated with them with any semblance of fairness . Their mandate all along has been to break the union and take away as much as possible all so that the nhl fan try to fix all of the mistakes that THEY have made.. I am not impressed at all with the union, don't get me wrong, but the league deserves to be held accountable for the state of all this as well and they would rather just ignore all the facts of this stupid scenario and blame and strongarm the players instead.

Please explain to us how the players are worse and how that is not an outcome that was brought upon by the league.

The current crop of NHL players ARE the league, not the arenas, not the jerseys, the simple fact that they are the premier players in the world.

You could have an a recognizable NHL with 30 different arenas (preferably less) and 30 different owners. You could not have a NHL without most of the same players not within a decade.

Given that basic fact I think that 50% is a steal.

Even more laughable when you consider how many of the arenas were heavily subsidized in their construction. Tell me again what is so special and unique that the current 30 owners bring to the party? Some smart lawyers and deep pockets....good for them.

it really doesn't matter. at the end of the day, all the players whine about how they put their careers on the line every night, yet they demand more than what they're actually worth. look at the guys who play baseball for crying out loud. some unknown dude gets paid 20M a year? does a police officer go out and earn 20M a year? Does a firefighter go out and make 20M a year? I really don't care what any one says here, telling me to go take a course, this and that. I'm just tired of this whole thing and I really don't care if the NHL folds. A hockey player is not worth as much as these people are demanding

they're suing them to try to get them to honor the contracts they signed.

You make a good point about going somewhere else...but all the owners are in collusion, and acting like a monopoly so they can't go somewhere else, unless they leave the continent. I'm interested to see what the courts say about it, regardless of their decision. Anti-trust and collusive behavior seems very wrong to me.

For all of the people complaining that players get more than they are "worth" who continue to ignore supply and demand economics or even human nature which says we'll gladly overpay for what we want, but cheap out on what we need, I invite you all to put your money where your mouth is. Petition the local government to raise your taxes to give significant raises to police officers, firefighters, nurses, teachers and paramedics. (Start by petitioning they end luxury tax breaks for sports teams and billionaires to pay for it and I'll gladly sign it!) Offer to give your daycare workers a raise. Tell your boss you'll take a pay cut if needed to ensure (s)he makes enough profit for themselves. Let's be honest, you probably get paid too much for playing around on CDC and Facebook all day anyway.

Yeah...me too.

Especially the anti-trust part.

The NHL set up the Cap to make the league more competitive.

That way what happened in 1994 (Rangers beat the Canucks and had a payroll that was like 33% higher then the Canucks at the time - in other words, the Rangers bought a cup) won't happen again.

I for one am not interested in watching the Rangers, Hawks, Wings and Bruins battle for the cup year in and year out....

I really don't get why anyone who posts in favour of the players gets a ton of negative feedback. Although I think both sides are to blame for this mess, the players seem to be getting the majority of the hate from fans. Am I mistaken, or were the players LOCKED OUT by the owners?

Its almost like some fans feel like they are the ones paying the player's salaries (and yes, indirectly they are) so they get angry when the players fight for a bigger piece of the pie. But its not like we fans are going to be charged less money if the the players make less, the only people who will feel this is the team owners. Us dumb fans are charged the same regardless.

We are doomed to keep reliving these lockouts until the system itself is fixed. The problem is that some teams make tons of money, and some lose tons of money. The only way the league will ever be fair is if the bottom feeding teams are moved or eliminated, there is much more revenue sharing for a healthy league, and there is a solid, reasonable salary cap.

You make a good point about going somewhere else...but all the owners are in collusion, and acting like a monopoly so they can't go somewhere else, unless they leave the continent. I'm interested to see what the courts say about it, regardless of their decision. Anti-trust and collusive behavior seems very wrong to me.

Archived