Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

What the hell is wrong with people in America?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

seriously, shooting firefighters now?

http://edition.cnn.c...ting/?hpt=us_c1

(CNN) -- At least two firefighters were killed when they were shot after arriving to battle a blaze at a house in upstate New York on Monday, officials said.
Two other firefighters were injured, police in Webster, New York, told reporters.
Authorities believe someone shot at the firefighters shortly after they exited their vehicles, said Rob Boutillier, fire marshal in the town of Webster, New York.
For hours, the gunfire stopped firefighters from working to extinguish the flamesand forced police SWAT teams to evacuate homes in the area.
Firefighters arrived at the scene before 6 a.m., Boutillier said. By 9 a.m., flames had engulfed three houses and a vehicle, he said.
Doctors were treating the wounded firefighters Monday morning, said Teri D'Agostino, a spokeswoman for Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, New York.
One firefighter escaped from the scene in his own vehicle about an hour after he was shot, then was transported to the hospital by an ambulance from another location, Boutillier said. He was listed in satisfactory condition, Boutillier said.
Another wounded firefighter was conscious and speaking when he was removed from the scene, Boutillier said.
"Our main concern right now is to have law enforcement evacuate the people in harm's way (and) make the scene safe for the fire department," Boutillier told reporters. "And then the fire department will go in and do its job."

#2 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,018 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

The Empire is sinking into the muck and mire, and not a moment too soon ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#3 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Can I renounce my citizenship, like, now, man???
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#4 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

POPULAR

Next the NRA will want to put an armed officer on every fire truck.
Posted Image

#5 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

Next the NRA will want to put an armed officer on every fire truck.

How about firetrucks with mounted machine guns? Way more badass.

#6 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

I'm starting to think that being American sucks.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#7 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,018 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Come north, young man .. B)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#8 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Maybe people with an agenda are trying to push forth gun control laws.

Or a government vs. citizenry end scenario.
Posted Image

#9 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Or maybe just another nutbar.

The problem will only get worse with a growing population and a 'meh' economy.
Posted Image

#10 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

Maybe people with an agenda are trying to push forth gun control laws.

Or a government vs. citizenry end scenario.

Or people with an agenda to make everyone paranoid and run out and buy a gun?

#11 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

So now before the fire dept can move in a swat team must first cordon off and secure the area.

#12 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

I'm finished defending anything any other dimwits in this country decide to do...and now I'm just going to start viewing it as entertainment. Swear to you with the mentalities of some of the people down here it feels like you're trying to communicate with a caveman. America sucks, being an American sucks...and it has for some time now.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#13 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Posted Image

#14 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

I'm finished defending anything any other dimwits in this country decide to do...and now I'm just going to start viewing it as entertainment. Swear to you with the mentalities of some of the people down here it feels like you're trying to communicate with a caveman. America sucks, being an American sucks...and it has for some time now.

It is like watching the decline and fall of the Roman Empire, only in a much shorter time span. When a powerful empire gets to a certain point, decadence and complacency set in, people forget the hard work it took to build the powerful empire in the first place, they forget the values the empire was built on. Like the Roman Empire, impregnable for the outside, corruption, greed and decadence rot it from within. I am not sure if American can be saved from itself at this point.

Edited by Norman Clegg, 24 December 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#15 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

ok.... move. And when you get sick of defending the idiots you find in your new home, move again. And when you get sick of defending the idiots you find there... move again. Lather.. rinse... repeat

#16 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

It is like watching the decline and fall of the Roman Empire, only in a much shorter time span. When a powerful empire gets to a certain point, decadence and complacency set in, people forget the hard work it took to build the powerful empire in the first place, they forget the values the empire was built on. Like the Roman Empire, impregnable for the outside, corruption, greed and decadence rot it from within. I am not sure if American can be saved from itself at this point.

Well, if we consider the subject of where this is going already.. the second amendment and the emphasis by the courts on keeping people armed, it looks to me like the values were not forgotten. This whole Roman Empire thing is both wishful thinking by those who don't like the way the US conducts itself (it's a rather disgusting thought process wishing for the fall of a country), and unsubstantiated hyperbole tying events that commonly happen in the US to some grand fall of an empire.

You need to show ties to another country so you don't pointlessly get sent back. ;)

#17 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

ok.... move. And when you get sick of defending the idiots you find in your new home, move again. And when you get sick of defending the idiots you find there... move again. Lather.. rinse... repeat

Unfortunately, with the way this economy is and seeing as how last year I got laid off from a job I'd been working at since I was a junior in high school and now I'm on an unemployment check I don't see how moving is an option at this point in time, sir.
Posted Image

#18 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

It's just like American History X when Derek's dad gets killed by some drug dealers when putting out a fire. Now some little boy will grow up to be a neo nazi. :(

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#19 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

And it is being reported that the shooter has been found dead at the scene.

news10nbc@news10nbc

Shooter found dead near the scene

https://twitter.com/...254315920015360

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#20 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,520 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'm sure if it were up to us we'd tale you in as an honorary canadian. you seem to be one of the few sane open minded Americans out there... plus don't forget we have the amex line for your entertainment.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#21 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

Unfortunately, with the way this economy is and seeing as how last year I got laid off from a job I'd been working at since I was a junior in high school and now I'm on an unemployment check I don't see how moving is an option at this point in time, sir.

that's a bad excuse. When I first moved, I didn't have a place to move into... no bed.. only what I could fit into the bed of my pickup. When I finally did get a place (went into debt staying at a local motel that was a total hole in the wall) I slept on my clothes. After 2 years I moved again while making $180 a week (at the time) and spent my last dollar in moving.

#22 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

that's a bad excuse. When I first moved, I didn't have a place to move into... no bed.. only what I could fit into the bed of my pickup. When I finally did get a place (went into debt staying at a local motel that was a total hole in the wall) I slept on my clothes. After 2 years I moved again while making $180 a week (at the time) and spent my last dollar in moving.

Man first of all, since the reason I was let go is because my Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder wouldn't allow me to do the job effectively anymore I strongly object to your inference that I am making an excuse...I don't know how to drive either, and I'm actually afraid to drive on the roads around here and around people who shouldn't be driving to start with.
Posted Image

#23 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

Well, if we consider the subject of where this is going already.. the second amendment and the emphasis by the courts on keeping people armed, it looks to me like the values were not forgotten. This whole Roman Empire thing is both wishful thinking by those who don't like the way the US conducts itself (it's a rather disgusting thought process wishing for the fall of a country), and unsubstantiated hyperbole tying events that commonly happen in the US to some grand fall of an empire.

Keeping people armed to the teeth has nothing to do with values and work ethic, either you have some serious comprehension problems or else you just enjoy twisting words around to try to provoke people. Where does it say I wished for the US to fall? Probably the same place you see the 2nd amendment saying you can have a machine gun and grenade launcher :rolleyes:

I am simply pointing out the parallels as to how the Roman empire collapsed due to corruption, greed and decadent lifestyle rotting it from within and see much of the same in the USA.

Edited by Norman Clegg, 24 December 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#24 Rockeh

Rockeh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

As a Fire Fighter, this is sad news to hear about. These brave men and women put their lives on the line when called to duty and they die because of some senseless, idiotic act of violence. RIP.

Edited by Rockeh, 24 December 2012 - 11:22 AM.

"Being a Red Wing is something special; it's more than money, it's more than fame, it's being a part of something bigger than yourself.
Something that has history and tradition and wins.
"

- Mike Babcock

#25 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,856 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

How about firetrucks with mounted machine guns? Way more badass.

Water cannons would make more sense, but then the NRA wouldn't get anything out of it.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#26 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

You need to show ties to another country so you don't pointlessly get sent back. ;)

Posted Image

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 24 December 2012 - 10:54 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

#28 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 75,336 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Wow, this really needs to stop.

307mg00.jpg

#29 Mastaj

Mastaj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'm so finished with arguing about guns in the US. The NRA and like minded folks don't care that children and firefighters get shot at and killed almost every week. It's more important that their 2nd ammendment rights are protected. That's just the price of their right to bear arms, and so be it. How do you reason with people like that?

Oh, sure, they'll say the right things about how horrible the shootings are; but they just use it to fear-monger and try to get MORE guns on the streets. Yes, because that's the answer! More guns will lower the gun mortality rate???

Before people jump all over me, I completely understand what the 2nd ammendment was for (protection against an oppressive government), and that it is a defined constitutional right in the US. I just believe that less guns or stricter controls on what can be owned would make that country a heck of a lot safer.
Go Banana!!
-Ralph Wiggum

#30 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Copycat. We're just going to keep seeing more of these until the media frenzy surrounding these shootings calms down.
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.