The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I have a feeling the player that the Canucks are "waiting" on could be Danny Briere.

He has been out with a fractured wrist he sustained during the lockout.

Reports are claiming that Briere should be ready by Friday the earliest, but highly likely the weekend.

I think perhaps a Hartnell + Briere for Luongo++ trade could happen.

Flyers have a ton of youth and scoring, while we don't have a 2nd line for at least a month, maybe two. Briere could center that line until Kesler comes back and Hartnell could take the 2nd line LW position until Booth comes back.

BUT, when Booth and Kesler comes back, it will be okay since we'll have some LTIR cap relief.

Sedin Sedin Hartnell

Booth Kesler Briere

Burrows Lapierre Hansen

Higgins Malhotra Kassian

DEPTH!

I have a feeling the player that the Canucks are "waiting" on could be Danny Briere.

He has been out with a fractured wrist he sustained during the lockout.

Reports are claiming that Briere should be ready by Friday the earliest, but highly likely the weekend.

I think perhaps a Hartnell + Briere for Luongo++ trade could happen.

Flyers have a ton of youth and scoring, while we don't have a 2nd line for at least a month, maybe two. Briere could center that line until Kesler comes back and Hartnell could take the 2nd line LW position until Booth comes back.

BUT, when Booth and Kesler comes back, it will be okay since we'll have some LTIR cap relief.

Sedin Sedin Hartnell

Booth Kesler Briere

Burrows Lapierre Hansen

Higgins Malhotra Kassian

DEPTH!

I think Mackenzie's ego as "the insider" is out of control - he's an insider, sometimes, but NHL GMs don't have to apprise him of anything in order for it to be a reality and for him to come out and speculate that there's nothing to Gillis' comment imo makes him look like an idiot.

I don't see Gillis as the smoke and mirrors type - he's generally either forthright or simply responds that he's not going to comment on a matter. Given his style this would be a good bluff, but I don't think it is. I find it utterly hilarious that there has been so much readiness to swallow endless Luongo to Toronto rumours but all of a sudden there's no way a Luongo deal in priniciple could be in the works that sees him go elsewhere. Indicating that a deal is in place and waiting for that team to do something with a player doesn't necessarily have the logical effect of increasing the bidding - it could also have the effect of suggesting people look elsewhere under those cicumstances. In Toronto's case, feel free to.

"We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait."

I think this rules out players like Briere - the Flyers are waiting for Briere, they don't have to do something with him

IMO it involves a team with a goaltender who is a significant cap hit, who for one reason or another sees fit to either move a bad contract, replace a veteran nearing retirement, or upgrade on a mid tier goalie whose cap hit they would not want to keep in addition to Luongo. That leaves a significant amount of possibilities.

Veterans nearing retirement that may still bring a decent return if dealt:

Brodeur

Kipprusoff

Khabibulin

Nabokov

Bad contracts:

Bryzgalov

Dipietro

Upgrades on contracts too large to double up upon:

Dubnyk

Niemi

Mason

Crawford

Edmonton is spending over 8 million on goaltenders...

New Jersey, knowing the value of a goaltending cornerstone, may seek another.

Calgary refusing to rebuild, could conceivably look to cash in on Kipprusoff while they still can, and find a competitive replacement.

Islanders - obvious - with Dipietro and Nabokov, have got to do something.

Philadelphia - also obviously may prefer a Bryz fire-sale and retool.

San Jose - Niemi is good, but they seem to be at a crossroads - rebuild or try to load up and make another run.

Columbus - would want to move Mason's 2.9 before adding.

Chicago - can't see it but other people apparently can.

Florida being so budget oriented may insist upon moving Theodore before taking on more cap hit.

I think there are enough possibilities not named Toronto that fit within the frame of Gillis' reference

I'm not going to make any assumptions about Luongo's willingness to waive for any teams - if he were willing to go to Toronto, imo he's pretty much willing to go virtually anywhere but Siberia haha.

I think Gillis is giving the TO media a taste of there own medicine.

We are talking about the man who says "no comment" when asked how his day is going.

This is just not a Mike Gillis type move.

Everything this man does is calculated and Guarded

Archived