3455 replies to this topic

#2641 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

I see a lot of negative convergences surrounding this team all at once, which was the basis of my prediction. If you folks would consume information and opinions from places other than CDC, you might realize that predictions like mine (or his) really aren't that crazy/far-fetched.

Evidently you missed all the outside world predictions which have Calgary and Edmonton in the 13 and 14 range, and the Canucks 2nd in the Western Conference...

Have either of Boston's goaltenders asked to be traded?

You may want to mosey over to Google again.

#2642 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Gillis is a jackass. Listen to the guy on the radio. Condescending, rude, disrespectful, just not a good guy at all. Of course he's not "sharing" information with these guys - that's not the point. These guys are around the team enough and smart enough to know what's really going on.

The whole world knew that Hodgson wasn't getting enough ice time. Tony was stating what everyone was discussing. As bad a player as you claim that he is, I would venture a guess that you were the type that was pumping his tires on this site very consistently, until the day that he was traded - at which point his value to you dropped immensely (imagine that).

It is the point King. You claim that these guys are 'around the team and smart enough'... but if they are making claims about the contents of deals that Gillis is making, of course it matters if he's not sharing information with them. In that case, their insider claims are hot air.
You may also want to check with the outside world on your claims about the ice time thing as well. The whole world certainly didn't see it as you, Tony and Botchford do - the general consensus is that complaining about a rookie's ice time, who is playing behind Hart and Selke winners, in December of his first NHL season is really silly stuff.

#2643 HUFFY

HUFFY

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Now I know Roberto has said he wants any deal to be the best for the Nucks that it can be but there will come a time when his patience will run out. He will give the ultimatum to MG by stating, "MG you either trade me or I'm done playing for this team". How long can he stomach being a backup to Schneider when he knows the rest of the league is watchin' him and chuckling a bit. Trust me, his pride will eventually get the better of MG who will be forced to make a move. Besides all that do u actually think Roberto is gonna give his all this season for Vancouver after the way he was yanked last playoff season when it really wasn't his fault that we failed so miserably!!! MG would be well advised to rid himself of Lu's contract now then to keep him in the lurch for god knows how long!!.........

#2644 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Gillis is a jackass. Listen to the guy on the radio. Condescending, rude, disrespectful, just not a good guy at all. Of course he's not "sharing" information with these guys - that's not the point. These guys are around the team enough and smart enough to know what's really going on.

The whole world knew that Hodgson wasn't getting enough ice time. Tony was stating what everyone was discussing. As bad a player as you claim that he is, I would venture a guess that you were the type that was pumping his tires on this site very consistently, until the day that he was traded - at which point his value to you dropped immensely (imagine that).

1. Enough Ice time? So take ice time away from a Hart and a Selk trophy winner? That is actually the most idiotic statement I have ever heard. Learn what development is there Einstein. Ya know Gen Y's need to understand something, just cause mommy said you're wonderful and great at everything, doesn't mean they are as good as they think. I suppose you think based on the logic that he deserved to take ice from a Hart/Selke winner, that he could have been traded for one, since clearly if you're good enough to take their ice time, then you're better than they are right? That's a very solid chain of logic...hmm...

2. Not to get into Hodgson too much but its your example. Defensively, he is not very good. That's why they 'rigged' his ice time - so they could market him - show his strengths and not his flaws. Give him offensive zone draws, pp time, etc etc. Which does what, gives him offensive but no defensive responsibility! Hmm...why? Inflated points, makes him look like a star right?

Not saying he won't be a good player, but what you saw of CoHo was not what the Nucks want or need nor what he actually is at this stage of his career. They want character players, who play a 2 way game. His weakness was defense and faceoffs and he didn't want to develop that. If he did he would have understood, one simple fact about hockey, life, etc. You earn your stripes, they are not given to you. And if I am a hockey player, a center, and I get to learn from Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler I would likely say to myself, I'm in heaven (assuming I don't have an ego and actually want to learn), I get to learn from one of the best offensive and one of the best defensive centers in game. But apparently, CoHo and daddy thought themselves better than those two, that he should get their ice (as you clearly think as well).

3. As for Gillis being condascending and rude, not sure who you're watching but he's fair and honest, and direct. He can't answer every question because he is dealing with regulations (tampering), peoples lives (deserve to be treated with respect even if they are being traded) , and can't share all his info/cards with King of the ES because he's some wannabe gm on CDC. Must be a terrible GM, and jackass, he gets his players to sign for less than they would on the open market. Guess the players must like playing for a Jackass...

So shut it there chicago boi. (and yes i spelled boi that way because you should go back to listening to your avril tunes).

Found a video of you on youtube...get a helmet please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTk3E4xefhc

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 19 January 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#2645 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Now I know Roberto has said he wants any deal to be the best for the Nucks that it can be but there will come a time when his patience will run out. He will give the ultimatum to MG by stating, "MG you either trade me or I'm done playing for this team". How long can he stomach being a backup to Schneider when he knows the rest of the league is watchin' him and chuckling a bit. Trust me, his pride will eventually get the better of MG who will be forced to make a move. Besides all that do u actually think Roberto is gonna give his all this season for Vancouver after the way he was yanked last playoff season when it really wasn't his fault that we failed so miserably!!! MG would be well advised to rid himself of Lu's contract now then to keep him in the lurch for god knows how long!!.........

wasn't his fault? dude look Lou is a good goalie but he played terrible in the playoffs, look at his save % that says it all.

#2646 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

1. Enough Ice time? So take ice time away from a Hart and a Selk trophy winner? That is actually the most idiotic statement I have ever heard. Learn what development is there Einstein. Ya know Gen Y's need to understand something, just cause mommy said you're wonderful and great at everything, doesn't mean they are as good as they think. I suppose you think based on the logic that he deserved to take ice from a Hart/Selke winner, that he could have been traded for one, since clearly if you're good enough to take their ice time, then you're better than they are right? That's a very solid chain of logic...hmm...

Oh, so now it's all about pedigree? Hank won a Hart, Kes won a Selke, so therefore their positions on the Canucks are all but guaranteed?

Maybe you missed the part where Kesler's goals and points dropped by nearly a full 50%. Oh, but he won a Selke, so we just don't talk about those stats. Is that it?

2. Not to get into Hodgson too much but its your example. Defensively, he is not very good. That's why they 'rigged' his ice time - so they could market him - show his strengths and not his flaws. Give him offensive zone draws, pp time, etc etc. Which does what, gives him offensive but no defensive responsibility! Hmm...why? Inflated points, makes him look like a star right?

Speaking of the most idiotic statements ever heard, this one might well take the cake. He's just fine defensively. He was voted the best penalty killer and the smartest player in the OHL, multiple times, by that league's coaches. If he had an issue, it was speed, which should be expected as a rookie. Do you at all remember the joke that was the Sedin's in their first year in the NHL? And what happened with them? Right, trotted out on the second line, and the second PP, regardless of how slow, weak, and unproductive they were. That's how you develop guys with obvious talent - like Hodgson. BTW, who's Buffalo's #1 C to start the year? Oh yeah.

And this "rigging" of ice-time is a real knee-slapper. Was the puck rigged too, when he scored all of those goals? Did Mike Gillis give him commands from above, as to where to shoot the puck on the goalie?

#2647 HUFFY

HUFFY

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

wasn't his fault? dude look Lou is a good goalie but he played terrible in the playoffs, look at his save % that says it all.

yes, I agree, his save % stat wasn't all that great but this goes hand in hand with the fact that the team in front of him was very questionable in scoring, defense and to a large degree, coaching!! Any goal tender is only as good as the team the GM puts in front of him!! AV has gone how many seasons now and how many playoff series now with nothing but a goose egg and still manages to hang onto his job!!?? How much longer are we gonna hang onto this lame duck coach??!! To lay the Nucks dismal failure in the playoffs on one goaltender is beyond the realm of reality!! Where was Kesler and Burrows besides making names for themselves in the diving department!!?? Where was Salo, Edler and (choke) Bieksa against the LA forwards last playoffs??!! Even the mighty Schneider couldn't get it done last playoff series yet some on here delude themselves into thinking we have the best goaltender duo in the league. How much blame did Schneider field for that series failure!! Now to add insult to an already bruised ego they make the mighty Schneider the # 1. Look at the final series against Boston when the Nucks led that series 2-0 then fell apart and let Boston back into it. Game 7 was a complete melt down yet we still blamed Roberto for Boston's shutout victory. Was it his fault the Sedins were a non factor in the most important game since the '94 cup failure (where was Pavel Bure) against NY!!?? The label of our team being a goalie graveyard lives on in infamy!! No wonder Lu' has asked for a trade. Come on MG, let this guy go before he's totally ruined here!!!

#2648 john bell

john bell

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Mike Gillis is also the former Player Agent who asks "Players to take a little less" so they can be part of the Canucks Team build?
I also wonder how long Roberto can put up with this.

#2649 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Oh, so now it's all about pedigree? Hank won a Hart, Kes won a Selke, so therefore their positions on the Canucks are all but guaranteed?

Maybe you missed the part where Kesler's goals and points dropped by nearly a full 50%. Oh, but he won a Selke, so we just don't talk about those stats. Is that it?

Speaking of the most idiotic statements ever heard, this one might well take the cake. He's just fine defensively. He was voted the best penalty killer and the smartest player in the OHL, multiple times, by that league's coaches. If he had an issue, it was speed, which should be expected as a rookie. Do you at all remember the joke that was the Sedin's in their first year in the NHL? And what happened with them? Right, trotted out on the second line, and the second PP, regardless of how slow, weak, and unproductive they were. That's how you develop guys with obvious talent - like Hodgson. BTW, who's Buffalo's #1 C to start the year? Oh yeah.

And this "rigging" of ice-time is a real knee-slapper. Was the puck rigged too, when he scored all of those goals? Did Mike Gillis give him commands from above, as to where to shoot the puck on the goalie?

And if we had given CoHo 70% of his starts in the defensive zone, how little energy do you think he would have had left to score those goals after chasing the likes of Toews, Getzlaf, Thornton & Kopitar around for 30-40 seconds of every shift (especially with CoHo's 40% faceoff percentage while he was here)?

Edited by Millerdraft, 19 January 2013 - 10:37 AM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#2650 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Gillis hold all the cards right now. In a shortened season, having 2 all-star goalies only increases your chance to win. It's clear that Luongo will stay if needed, he has friends on this team and is in no hurry to be dealt to a bottom dweller. Gillis was right to call out the Toronto media, as it does not help his situation if these media types are filling air space with Luongo rumours. The only thing we want from Toronto is youth, something in which they aren't willing to give up. So screw the stalemate with Toronto and move to a different market, ensuring that Nonis (Burke lite) gets canned as well.

From what I've seen everyone on here asking for is Kadri, Gardiner and maybe a pick. Gardiner plays left D, a place we have since filled with signing Edler long term, while Kadri is an undersized, over-hyped prospect in which we have in Schroeder (I love the kid, don't get me wrong). The more realistic proposals centre around Bozak, an offensive centre approaching UFA. Bozak, on a healthy Canucks roster fits as a 3rd line centre, hardly worth dealing a star player for. So we are left with the deduction that Toronto is simply not a suitable trading partner, even if our demands were met. This is of course without factoring Luongo's ultimate decision of where to go to, which I highly doubt a player of his calibre would willingly choose to go to the player graveyard that is the Toronto fan base.

So we are left with Luongo, a 5.3m cap hit as a back up goaltender in a shortened season - things could be worse. I'll take a 1-2 punch in Schneider/Luongo over a decreased value in a trade or filling the Luongo void with Cannata; as we currently do not have a healthy goaltender signed beyond him.

I like your logic. The only caveat being Van's CUP timeline which requires the C being addressed. If the Laffers end up being the partner Kesler's health becomes the determining factor. If he comes along faster than expected then Bozak + some pics become possible. It doesn't make sense for TO to deal pics, especially one 1st mimimum in a Lu deal. I simply don't see a deal here.

Both Philly and the Panthers have more to offer, even possibly T Bay.

#2651 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Edler siging 6 years @ $5 mil suggests to me that Gillis is still in solid control of the Canuck dressing room. Edler willing to take less than Garrison. Garrison took less then what the open market offered.

#2652 gaydar

gaydar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Edler siging 6 years @ $5 mil suggests to me that Gillis is still in solid control of the Canuck dressing room. Edler willing to take less than Garrison. Garrison took less then what the open market offered.

Edler got more than Garrison.

#2653 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

^^ just about to say that...

Garrison 6 years - 27.6 Million

#2654 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

yes, I agree, his save % stat wasn't all that great but this goes hand in hand with the fact that the team in front of him was very questionable in scoring, defense and to a large degree, coaching!! Any goal tender is only as good as the team the GM puts in front of him!! AV has gone how many seasons now and how many playoff series now with nothing but a goose egg and still manages to hang onto his job!!?? How much longer are we gonna hang onto this lame duck coach??!! To lay the Nucks dismal failure in the playoffs on one goaltender is beyond the realm of reality!! Where was Kesler and Burrows besides making names for themselves in the diving department!!?? Where was Salo, Edler and (choke) Bieksa against the LA forwards last playoffs??!! Even the mighty Schneider couldn't get it done last playoff series yet some on here delude themselves into thinking we have the best goaltender duo in the league. How much blame did Schneider field for that series failure!! Now to add insult to an already bruised ego they make the mighty Schneider the # 1. Look at the final series against Boston when the Nucks led that series 2-0 then fell apart and let Boston back into it. Game 7 was a complete melt down yet we still blamed Roberto for Boston's shutout victory. Was it his fault the Sedins were a non factor in the most important game since the '94 cup failure (where was Pavel Bure) against NY!!?? The label of our team being a goalie graveyard lives on in infamy!! No wonder Lu' has asked for a trade. Come on MG, let this guy go before he's totally ruined here!!!

Lou can, has been a very good goalie. That having been said, and whether you chose to acknowledge it, Lou has been inconsistant, and thats his Waterloo. During last season, he got yanked 5 times in 55 games, played inconsistant in the 2 games he played in the series and gave up 3 goals out of 7 due to poor focus and fundamentals. Its not that teams score so much as how they score. Lou beat himself on the 3 goals. He deviates from prescribed and time proven basics . His game breaks down under pressure . Management seems to have opted for another goalie because Lou has been given the opportunities to win and has not. Other goalies have outplayed Lou in the playoffs....time for a change. The team not scoring is a big issue, but it has little to do with keeping the puck out of their own net.

#2655 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

What's the point? Doesn't change the fundamental reality that there are very, very few potential buyers for Luongo, nor does it change the fundamental reality that the Canucks must get rid of him.

Playing games won't do anything for Gillis' leverage, in a deal like this one, unfortunately.

You're side stepping the point.

If Luongo has indicated to Gillis that he does not wish to go to Toronto, would Gillis continue negotiating with Toronto so that when the right team comes along he has a fake bidding war?

As for your comment, Gillis doesn't need to get rid of Luongo, because we are under the cap for this year, and we will have one of if not the best tandems in the league. You are welcome to disagree, but the guy holding the cards is standing pat for now.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#2656 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

WTF? Ppl actually do this stuff to get a direct msg from MG? This guy can get ppl to tweet just for the chance to enter into a lottery, and the winner gets a "good boy" from MG?

crazy.

Mike Gillis@GMMikeGillis
Use the hashtag and I will send a few direct messages to five fans this afternoon.
10:06 AM - 19 Jan 13 · Details

Edited by WHL rocks, 19 January 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#2657 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Looking at this year's UFA class, I think MG might have to trade Lu at the deadline or risk potential trade partners finding other options. Nabokov, Howard, Backstrom, and Mike Smith are all on the market, and some may try to take offers from other teams.

The trade deadline is when team's will be pushing to make the playoffs, and when Luongo's value will be at it's highest, pending the offers are good enough, I doubt we see Luongo here in Vancouver heading into the playoffs.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#2658 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Looking at this year's UFA class, I think MG might have to trade Lu at the deadline or risk potential trade partners finding other options. Nabokov, Howard, Backstrom, and Mike Smith are all on the market, and some may try to take offers from other teams.

The trade deadline is when team's will be pushing to make the playoffs, and when Luongo's value will be at it's highest, pending the offers are good enough, I doubt we see Luongo here in Vancouver heading into the playoffs.

I agree. That will be the peak for his value. I wouldn't be surprised if Gillis pulls a midseason trade too if it comes up.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#2659 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,853 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

WTF? Ppl actually do this stuff to get a direct msg from MG? This guy can get ppl to tweet just for the chance to enter into a lottery, and the winner gets a "good boy" from MG?

crazy.

Mike Gillis@GMMikeGillis
Use the hashtag and I will send a few direct messages to five fans this afternoon.

Nice job on the copy and paste, but that's not to get a DM from Gillis, it's because they have a promo with Pepsi to give away some tickets for tonight's game.

I won't pay for tickets this year, but I will take free ones if they're offered to me.

Do you honestly think Howard or Smith will hit free agency? If Smith does, it's because he played badly in his second year with the Coyotes and then why would anyone be rushing to pick him up after his bad results in Tampa as well.

Nabby might just stay with the Islanders as well, although I could see Backstrom being traded to a team at the deadline. The difference there is that won't help teams struggling to make the playoffs by that point (or by the summer) and some can't afford to lose.

Beyond that, the crop of UFAs is pretty slim, Thomas' stock has dropped significantly, Khabi's past his prime, as is Theodore, then it's backups like Garon, Labarbera, Emery, etc. The only thing that's worse than the 2013 UFA goalie list, is the list of UFA defencemen.

Edited by elvis15, 19 January 2013 - 12:51 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#2660 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Kesler scored 98 points in his Selke year? Wow. And the rookie's feet were too big for those shoes?

Hodgson was a good defensive player in the OHL? That seals it! What the hell was AV thinking haha!

I also find it ironic that the media essentially asked Luongo to leave, asked if he would waive his NTC, and that his response was that he'd do what's best for the team ie accept a trade, or stay if the team decides that is in their best interest - and that get's turned into ""Luo asked to be traded". Whereas in the case of the rookie, Gallagher and Winters leaked all the writing that was on the wall, and still the story to some people is that big, bad Mike Gillis unceremoniously traded the unsuspecting young center. People chose to believe what they want regardless of context.

Edited by oldnews, 19 January 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#2661 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Mike Gillis is also the former Player Agent who asks "Players to take a little less" so they can be part of the Canucks Team build?
I also wonder how long Roberto can put up with this.

You're missing a significant part of the context in that Gillis commnent.
Gillis isn't asking "players" in general to take less. He is asking particular players to take a smaller piece of a pie that is the same size regardless. The Canucks spend right to the Cap. If there were no salary cap, comments like that may indicate some contradiction assuming there is something wrong about doing his job as an agent and then doing his job as a GM. But the fact remains - there is only so much cap space. The more money Gillis gives to the Sedins, Edler, Kesler, Hammer, Juice, Garrison the less money there is to offer to the rest of the players in the lineup. What these players taking less money actually enables is for the less marquis players to have a slightly greater share of that cap ceiling pie. It makes the team a better, more balanced hockey club, it leaves some money on the table for the 'roster players who tend to have shorter, lower paid careers, and it undoubtedly builds a better team dynamic where the players who aren't quite as "have" as those marquis players no doubt appreciate the compromises that their leadership core makes for the team and the other players.
Taken in context I don't see it as such a contradiction.
I also think Luo will be very capable of handling his duties if he stays here this season - and playing another season on a legitimate contender can't be that terrible a proposition. He has slightly better odds of wearing a SC ring at the end of it than if he were to be wearing a Maple Leaf.

Edited by oldnews, 19 January 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#2662 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

There are surprises every year. There will probably even be more surprises in a year like this one.

This is a true statement.

I see a lot of negative convergences surrounding this team all at once, which was the basis of my prediction.

Some would suggest that you see only the negatives, but I would never support such a position. :)

If you folks would consume information and opinions from places other than CDC, you might realize that predictions like mine (or his) really aren't that crazy/far-fetched.

Interesting that you suggest that people look at sources other than the CDC when there are several external sources referenced in these posts. Maybe you should consider expanding your diet to include reading all of the CDC rather than cherry-picking as you seem to do on a regular basis.

Strange that everybody pointing out Edmonton's "weak" D doesn't seem to have an issue with the Canucks having 1 first line, 1 third line, and 2 fourth lines.

Not so strange.

They know that Kesler and Booth will be back at some point while Edmonton has no realistic hopes for an improvement in their defense, unless they trade for a significant asset. And if Edmonton does want to trade for a really good d-man, what do they have to give up in order to get such a player? I see a weakened group of forwards if they trade to shore up their defense.

They better hope that they can out-score the other team by a lot if they are going to go anywhere.

What's the point? Doesn't change the fundamental reality that there are very, very few potential buyers for Luongo, nor does it change the fundamental reality that the Canucks must get rid of him.

I think there's actually only very few potential buyers for Luongo, not "very, very few". As always, it's true that the Canucks must trade Luongo, and thank you for pointing out the obvious as most of us tend to forget this during the course of a minute. However, I would point out to you, again, that the Canucks have time to complete this deal. Come back after the season is over, and if Luongo is still a Canuck then I'll join you in voicing my concern that Gillis should get 'er done.

Playing games won't do anything for Gillis' leverage, in a deal like this one, unfortunately.

Hmm, so you suggest that as Luongo is a back-up his value has gone down, but if he plays extremely well when called upon, this will do nothing to improve the Canucks' trade position... Okay, sure. :)

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#2663 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

The answer is clearly the latter. A term that's twice as long is FAR more difficult to move than a roughly 30% premium on cap hit.

Got anything to back up your position? I'm just curious as there have been a few big trades in the last year and they don't support your view, at least from my perspective.

Have either of Boston's goaltenders asked to be traded?

Not that I know of, yet Thomas has gone walkabout so that might just be the next best thing.

Gillis is a jackass. Listen to the guy on the radio. Condescending, rude, disrespectful, just not a good guy at all.

Posted Image

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 19 January 2013 - 01:23 PM.

Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#2664 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Oh, so now it

Hey King guess what?

Olli Jokinen is wearing an 'A' for WPG.

That's just 'A' to add to his resume of teams he has been a captain on.

I guess he is such a bad teammate....

zackass.png

#2665 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hey King guess what?

I think Calgary's going to get what it deserves for maligning Jokinen so ridiculously. He produced at an impressive level in Calgary despite playing for a team with a weak blueline, no depth behind him (ie he faced all the toughest matchups), he played injured alot due to the fact they had nothing to replace hime with, and he did it for a bargain cap hit. Now they're going to get to watch him play in a better context, and I'm betting he'll have yet another really good season in the Peg, while Calgary tells themselves they have a good chance of winning while, up the middle, they are one of the most rag-tag groups in the NHL.
I wouldn't have minded at all seeing the Canucks sign Jokinen to play between Higgins and Hansen after Kesler returned, but he's simply worth too much.

Edited by oldnews, 19 January 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#2666 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hey King guess what?

On trade deadline day, TSN analyst Matthew Barnaby reported that some players in the Western Conference were actually predicting the pending demise of the Calgary Flames -- due to the acquisition of a dressing-room "cancer" in Olli Jokinen.

Tell this to Matthew Barnaby. I'm just the messenger. Interestingly enough, the "demise" actually did happen roughly 6 months after Jokinen was acquired, when they inexplicably traded Dion Phaneuf to Toronto.

BTW - did you and oldnews happen to see Michael Frolik's beauty goal today?

:bigblush:

Edited by King of the ES, 19 January 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#2667 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2668 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,969 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Posted Image

Luongo and Ballard for Paajarvi :bigblush:

Oh wait, that still wouldn't go through, right King? :bigblush: :bigblush:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#2669 Hodgson!!

Hodgson!!

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Early 2-0 lead for the Penguins over Ilya Bryzgalov and the Flyers. Time for GM Paul Holmgren to give Vancouver a call.

- The Score

:P
Posted Image

Signature Made by Vintage Canuck

#2670 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Posted Image

(Last trade deadline)

Schneider for Frolik

zackass.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.