3455 replies to this topic

#2821 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

We've missed you Elvis - even if your input isn't exactly novel.

Well, that was kind of my point, wasn't it? B)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2822 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,583 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

His entire post was crazy. Kassian - who didn't even have a single SOG - somehow was more "noticeable" than Cody Hodgson was, as Buffalo's top-line C and involved everywhere? Huh?!?

Very happy that kassian served you some crow last night.

#2823 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

another lame performance last night. Lu looked like amateur hour out there. Maybe he looked a little to amateurish. I think he could be tryin' to hurry up this trade process. What better way to throw a game then in the shoot out!!!.....

So a .938 SV% makes him look like an amateur? Ok whatever you say :picard:
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#2824 Topshelfer

Topshelfer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

A Luongo trade thread turned into a "TALK WHATEVER COMES TO MIND" - Stay on the topic Ladies and Gents!

Wonder of Luongo will get more starts this week or will Gillis pull the trigger by the weekend? Still Bozak, Kadri and a 1st or 2nd the best trade scenario so far?
Posted ImageI frequent the "RED LIGHT" district!

#2825 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

A Luongo trade thread turned into a "TALK WHATEVER COMES TO MIND" - Stay on the topic Ladies and Gents!

Wonder of Luongo will get more starts this week or will Gillis pull the trigger by the weekend? Still Bozak, Kadri and a 1st or 2nd the best trade scenario so far?

I wouldn't do that right now if I was Toronto. Kadri looks like he's on the verge of breaking out and Scrivens has played better than Luongo so far.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#2826 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,583 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

I thought most of his game was good, but if you can't admit that the two goals he let in were terrible and came at very inopportune times, you're not be objective in any way. I'd say the same thing about Schneider and did so after game 1. As I said before, it's not the saves Lu makes, as he makes some great ones, it's the saves he doesn't make that kill all the momentum built by the skaters. It's something that's plagued his entire time in vancouver.

#2827 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I thought most of his game was good, but if you can't admit that the two goals he let in were terrible and came at very inopportune times, you're not be objective in any way. I'd say the same thing about Schneider and did so after game 1. As I said before, it's not the saves Lu makes, as he makes some great ones, it's the saves he doesn't make that kill all the momentum built by the skaters. It's something that's plagued his entire time in vancouver.

... pretty sure any goal scored against regardless of when it was during the game is a momentum killer... so i'm not sure why the retards on this forum is using it against luongo or any other goalie... if the other team scored while they are pressing it generates momentum for them... if they scored against the flow of play it generates momentum for them... so regardless of when the goal is scored it's a momentum killer us and a momentum generator for them.. so unless you are 100% perfect.. any goal is a momentum killer... unless you are winning say like 4 or 5-0 or somethign like that... but of coz.. early season Schneider is rusty but Luongo is just typical crap as it appears after the SO lost tonight.

#2828 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Lou had a much easier night and fewer difficult shots than Cory had. Although he made some great saves, the two that got by him, especially the first were terrible goals. His positioning is still a huge problem and thats what disturbs me about him. A great goalie can;t be making hi-lite reel saves, then give up stinkers. Again, its about his lack of consistancy. . 938 does not tell the story !

#2829 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Is this your first post in this thread?? We have been talking about what ever we want for about 300 pages in 4 threads. Go find another thread if you want purely on topic conversation. There is FINALLY something to talk about on topic here, so there is a bit more on topic conversation, but we're not going to drop our other points just cause you don't like it.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#2830 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Lou had a much easier night and fewer difficult shots than Cory had. Although he made some great saves, the two that got by him, especially the first were terrible goals. His positioning is still a huge problem and thats what disturbs me about him. A great goalie can;t be making hi-lite reel saves, then give up stinkers. Again, its about his lack of consistancy. . 938 does not tell the story !

I could use that in my argument about whether Smith was full value last year for Phoenix, or if the shots being mostly from the outside helped his stats line. But let's not get sidetracked with that, we both like Smith, just have differing levels on how much we're sold on him at this point.

I thought Luongo's movement was much better last night and he didn't get overcommitted but was still able to challenge when he needed to. He also made some good saves when the puck unexpectedly came to the Oilers off of turnovers or in passes from behind the net. He quickly got in position and squared up so he could stop those where they would otherwise have been tough on such a short reaction time.

Clearly he was bad in dropping so low on the Eberle goal rather than just squeezing the post and staying more upright, but it was a great shot with 3 seconds left in the period. He would love the second one back as well since it shouldn't have snuck through but both guys got in easier than they should have.

Edited by elvis15, 21 January 2013 - 11:44 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2831 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

I think everyone who is panicking right now needs to take a step back. None of the teams can be judged fairly right now. Majority of the players in the NHL have to get back to game shape, and all of the players need to get used to the game. It has been a long time since they have played an organized game together. Give it 10-15 games before you judge a goaltender and teams overall game, despite the fact that it is a shortened season.
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

#2832 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

another lame performance last night. Lu looked like amateur hour out there. Maybe he looked a little to amateurish. I think he could be tryin' to hurry up this trade process. What better way to throw a game then in the shoot out!!!.....

I thought Lu had a solid game. The 2nd goal sneaked in thru the 5 hole but Lu made some tremendous saves and kept the team in the game.

#2833 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Lu should have had both of those goals. It's much more frustrating for a defence to defend for a goalie who makes the saves he doesn't but lets in a lot of soft goals. Every shot against Lu is a legit scoring chance and that's very draining to our D.

o08j21.jpg

Thanks for the sig Twilight Sparkle

#2834 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,941 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

LP
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#2835 HUFFY

HUFFY

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Lu should have had both of those goals. It's much more frustrating for a defence to defend for a goalie who makes the saves he doesn't but lets in a lot of soft goals. Every shot against Lu is a legit scoring chance and that's very draining to our D.

This loss was a team effort!! It's ironic how this team's old and lame bad habits are comin' back to bite them right square in the a$$ = there are three periods to this game!!! Dejvu = bigtime!!!........

#2836 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

I still think the starting position is still very much up for grabs and will be awarded to whoever gets hot first. I believe that the rotation of goalies willcontinue until one shows signs of waking up, leaving the other to ride the pine.
I also think that this controversy needs to be addressed asap. To me, the distraction is weighing heavy on both goalies. The fact that AV started Lou on Sunday, rather than going back to Schneider is evidence of the lack of direction the Canucks have as far as a back stop is concerned. I think it was a mistake to start Luongo against the Oilers. It showed no confidence in Schneids what so ever. If Cory is to be the number one, he needs to be in the net, win or lose, on a consistant basis. He needs to know that he s the man and it s his job. believe the constant shufling is damaging to both and will only lower the value in a potential deal.
No matter which way it goes, one thing is certain. The fans will back who ever helps us win. Sports fans are fickle this way. One day you re a hero, next day you re a zero and then you re a hero again.
In my mind the starting position will come down to whoever goes out there and takes it.

#2837 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,113 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

It's much more frustrating for a defence to defend for a goalie who makes the saves he doesn't but lets in a lot of soft goals. 

It's also frustrating for a goaltender to have a shutout through two periods and then have to watch his defenseman (who just signed a contract worth 5 million per year) let an opposing player walk around him with three seconds left in the period....

...he probably should have made that save, but he shouldn't have had to.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#2838 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

It's also frustrating for a goaltender to have a shutout through two periods and then have to watch his defenseman (who just signed a contract worth 5 million per year) let an opposing player walk around him with three seconds left in the period....

funny story because that same defenceman made an exceptional play in.his.own end earlier and carried the puck up ice and blasted it in the cage. so without him the score would have been 1-1 and the canucks would have lost in the shootout. douche

Edited by TruCanuck, 21 January 2013 - 02:51 PM.

Posted Image

#freetorts

-Credit to blueberries-

#2839 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,113 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

funny story because that same defenceman made an exceptional play in.his.own end earlier and carried the puck up ice and blasted it in the cage. so without him the score would have been 1-1 and the canucks would have lost in the shootout. dueche

What does "dueche" mean?

And my point was there is no single person that deserves the blame for last night's loss. Yet the uninformed will continue to hang it on the goalkeeper...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#2840 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

What does "dueche" mean?

And my point was there is no single person that deserves the blame for last night's loss. Yet the uninformed will continue to hang it on the goalkeeper...

I agree. Lu was not the problem last night. His positioning was weak on the 2 goals but it was this team's lack of compete that cost the W. It was like Deja vu from last season where they play a good 48 minutes or so...get the lead and then just sit there and let the other team attack hoping they can win with a 1 goal lead.

To hear Henrik and AV talk about how if they keep playing like that they will win most games is very disconcerting! They were up agains the youngest team in the league with a known weak defence and could only muster 2 goals!! Their much touted defence should be embarrassed at being undressed like they were.

If they truly believe they are playing a winning style of hockey, we are all in for major disappointment this year.

#2841 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

On the Hemsky goal he was allowed to walk straight in and take a shot. Burrows was covering that side, and couldn't match the speed of Hemsky. He wasn't pressured at all.

Eberle's goal was just sick. It is soooo difficult to read a backhand, and I think Lu was staying deep because he expected a centering pass or wrap around.

Anyone blaming Lu for that loss is either uninformed, unintelligent, bias, or all of the above. He shares the blame, but by no means was he the problem.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#2842 Creid

Creid

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Once again this game proves our goaltending is not the problem. Soft or not he only let in 2 goals. The Canucks should be able to get more then 2 goals on the Oilers. What more do you want from him? Its not like he was lit up 5 times and pulled half way through the game.

#2843 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,583 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

I haven't said this much in my time on CDC, but I disagree with you Rupert. As a d-man, position is key and when you play a fast, skilled team like the Oilers, you want to play your position inside the dots and keep those skilled forwards out of the prime scoring zone (ie the slot). Thus you lay off the aggressive attack (Eberle can make you look awfully stupid as Edler found out earlier in the night), and you try and force those fwds to shoot from the outside and from bad angles.

Though Eberle exposed Edler with speed, Eddy managed to keep position and force him to shoot from an angle than every goaltender should have no trouble handling, regardless of the shooter, or the shot. That goal should never have gone in, and his team should have gone into the break with a two goal lead and momentum. That play changed the game, and it happens too too often with Luongo in net, imo.

#2844 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

I can't believe the ignorance and blindness of here to support their own hatred. When Lou has a .938 percent average and lose they blame him but when Cory has the same game they say it wasn't his fault. Both our goalies are good goalies shaking off some rust. I fully expect Cory to bounce back but Lou played well yesterday too. My god it's like half of you don't watch any other game and just looking for reasons to spread hatred. It's not even reasonable anymore. We have two good goalies and there is no reason to blindly hate on one because you have a preference for another.

He shouldn't have let in that goal with 3 seconds left but Eberle blew by our defense and yet it's somehow all Loungo's fault and he lost the game for us? He made some key stops in that game where the our team gave away the puck right in the slot. Both Kass and Ballard off the top of my head got bailed out by him. Can people just stop with the blind hate already. It's getting tiresome.

#2845 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I usually agree with Rupert as well. One of the level headed guys on this forum. Although Edler did drive him outside it wasn't enough. You can see he had Edler totally beat and spun around making a good defensemen look lost. Eberle still managed to drive to the net which should not happen. Especially not with 3 seconds left. I do agree that Loungo should have saved it as it was a critical point in the game and that needs to be saved. But that was also a wicked shot. I've been playing hockey for years and it takes a tremendous amount of skill to roof it that close going at that speed. It was an impressive shot.

With that said I blame both the defense and Loungo for letting that go in at a critical time. But I do not blame Loungo for losing the game. He made some key saves at other times as well that kept us in it. That game was lost because they seemed more prepared and had more jump than we did for a lot of the game.

I haven't said this much in my time on CDC, but I disagree with you Rupert. As a d-man, position is key and when you play a fast, skilled team like the Oilers, you want to play your position inside the dots and keep those skilled forwards out of the prime scoring zone (ie the slot). Thus you lay off the aggressive attack (Eberle can make you look awfully stupid as Edler found out earlier in the night), and you try and force those fwds to shoot from the outside and from bad angles.

Though Eberle exposed Edler with speed, Eddy managed to keep position and force him to shoot from an angle than every goaltender should have no trouble handling, regardless of the shooter, or the shot. That goal should never have gone in, and his team should have gone into the break with a two goal lead and momentum. That play changed the game, and it happens too too often with Luongo in net, imo.

Edited by DooBie604, 21 January 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#2846 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,113 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I haven't said this much in my time on CDC, but I disagree with you Rupert.  As a d-man, position is key and when you play a fast, skilled team like the Oilers, you want to play your position inside the dots and keep those skilled forwards out of the prime scoring zone (ie the slot).  Thus you lay off the aggressive attack (Eberle can make you look awfully stupid as Edler found out earlier in the night), and you try and force those fwds to shoot from the outside and from bad angles.  

Though Eberle exposed Edler with speed, Eddy managed to keep position and force him to shoot from an angle than every goaltender should have no trouble handling, regardless of the shooter, or the shot.  That goal should never have gone in, and his team should have gone into the break with a two goal lead and momentum.  That play changed the game, and it happens too too often with Luongo in net, imo.

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree there. Now way should Eberle have gotten around Edler, especially with so little time left...

I do agree that Louie didn't play that particularly well, but assigning him all of the blame on that goal is giving Edler a ridiculous free pass, IMO.

#2847 MikeBossy

MikeBossy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree there. Now way should Eberle have gotten around Edler, especially with so little time left...

I do agree that Louie didn't play that particularly well, but assigning him all of the blame on that goal is giving Edler a ridiculous free pass, IMO.

Gotta say I agree 100% Rupert - yes Edler made some amazing plays offensively but he got beat plain and simple by Eberle and it was a hell of a backhand by the kid. I'd rather have my goalie beat by an Eberle back hand then the two Winnick scored on Schneids - just saying.

I thought Luo played a decent game - I do agree he should have had the Hemsky one although both goalies have been the victim of some brutal positioning by our forwards and D so far.

Thanks to R.Luongo. for the amazing sig

#2848 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Let's say both mad a mistake; but part of a goalie's job description is to erase inevitable mistakes. The goalie who makes less is more valuable!

Lou made less than Cory the day before, but both need to be better. Goaltending was a factor in both losses!

Gotta say I agree 100% Rupert - yes Edler made some amazing plays offensively but he got beat plain and simple by Eberle and it was a hell of a backhand by the kid. I'd rather have my goalie beat by an Eberle back hand then the two Winnick scored on Schneids - just saying.

I thought Luo played a decent game - I do agree he should have had the Hemsky one although both goalies have been the victim of some brutal positioning by our forwards and D so far.

#2849 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hmmm interesting...... after a solid opening game, the Leafs are down 2-0 to Buffalo with Scrivens letting in 2 goals on the first 7 shots :bigblush:

#2850 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Well, that was kind of my point, wasn't it? B)

Yes, and the irony was kind of my point. ;)

Is this your first post in this thread?? We have been talking about what ever we want for about 300 pages in 4 threads. Go find another thread if you want purely on topic conversation. There is FINALLY something to talk about on topic here, so there is a bit more on topic conversation, but we're not going to drop our other points just cause you don't like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.