The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's Official, the Americans have overtaken Canada in hockey

RAMBUTANS

Overtaken? Definitely not. However, the US seems to have a system of development that has been working for them. Their forwards have great speed, faster than any other nation, and that seemed to be one key difference when the US played Canada on international ice.

Kudos to Wesker for providing a non-trolling post. Agree with what you said. I really like watching the Americans play hockey, often moreso than the Canadian juniors.

Nice to see hockey is catching on over there. Hockey is a Canadian sport and there is a certain pride associated with that for sure, but everyone complains that women's hockey is a two nation only sport. That's why everyone is trying to get other nations to step up their programs.

It's good for the sport if there are more competitive nations. Clearly there is something that Canada isn't doing right. Maybe it's complacency or maybe it's lack of innovation. Bottom line is, if this pushes us to try new things and it helps us get back to our winning ways, I'm all for other nations to adopt hockey as their sport too.

Meh Canada can't win gold, or a medal for that matter every year. Even though Canada hasn't won a gold in 4 years at the U20s let's not forget each year (including this year) they've dominated the round robin portion and then even though losing they've been close in each game. 6-5 OT loss in 2010 gold game, 5-3 loss 2011, 6-5 semifinal loss in 2012 (came back from 5-1), and then 6-5 OT loss in bronze in 2013...that's hardly meaning Canada is becoming weaker. It means other teams (Russia, Sweden, USA specifically) are getting better. The competition is closing and in and we're not going to win a medal each year anymore. If anything that should make the tourney even more intense. If we had had proper coaching this year we'd have a bronze. Putting in a cold goalie for his first start in a medal game was about the biggest mistake I've seen in juniors.

One game elimination tournaments - not much of an indication of anything "official"

If anyone had officially dethroned Canada, they'd be the team wearing yellow and blue.

Last couple years they have looked like they are in a class by themselves.

This year they did it without 3 of their top 4.

The US got a couple gift-horse goals against Sweden - great second half of the tournament for them, but sure as hell haven't established themselves as the undisputed world's best.

World Juniors isn't the best indication of a country's standing in hockey, the Olympics are far more important. That being said I don't like Canada's chances in the upcoming Olympics. Their defence is far worse than it used to be and goaltending will now be an issue with Luongo and Fleury both flopping lately.

My money's on Sweden and even Russia, especially on a larger ice-surface.

Guest Gumballthechewy

The last time the best Canadian players in the world played the best American players in the world, Canada won.

Meh Canada can't win gold, or a medal for that matter every year. Even though Canada hasn't won a gold in 4 years at the U20s let's not forget each year (including this year) they've dominated the round robin portion and then even though losing they've been close in each game. 6-5 OT loss in 2010 gold game, 5-3 loss 2011, 6-5 semifinal loss in 2012 (came back from 5-1), and then 6-5 OT loss in bronze in 2013...that's hardly meaning Canada is becoming weaker. It means other teams (Russia, Sweden, USA specifically) are getting better. The competition is closing and in and we're not going to win a medal each year anymore. If anything that should make the tourney even more intense. If we had had proper coaching this year we'd have a bronze. Putting in a cold goalie for his first start in a medal game was about the biggest mistake I've seen in juniors.

Archived