238 replies to this topic

#61 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

@SportsnetSpec: Sounds like Burke did NOT want to make Luongo deal, while many in Leafs org did. Burke a principled man.

If true, price just went up to Rielly and a 1st ;)

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#62 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Ok, this is a first that I have seen. Not only is this trending, it is taking up the whole trending list in one form or another lol!
===
Brian Burke
Nonis
Leafs GM
MLSE
Luongo
===

Edit.
And also trending in all other Canadian cities *except* Montreal? Strange

Edited by gizmo2337, 09 January 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#63 7thMan

7thMan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

I expect them to give Dave Nonis the gig, meaning Luongo trade speculation will absolutely explode.

#64 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,780 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

My acceptance of Luongo going to TO also went way up. Nonis is an idiot. Laffs will never win anything soon. (However, Lu must realize this too. Does he still force a trade to Florida? Tallon will likely come out and say he has no interest in Lu now.)

Drama!
Posted Image

#65 bleednucksblue

bleednucksblue

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Burke was the most vocal GM against back diving deals and had a huge propensity to overate his own goalies to a detriment to his teams shots at the Cup (ahem Cloutier ahem).

My guess is that the new ownership has no interest in risking the playoffs again on subpar goaltending after the Leafs were the only team NOT to make the playoffs during the last CBA. They don't want to start off on the wrong foot and WANT the Luongo *splash*.

Well said Miller...as usual.

I don't get why people are stunned at the prospect of Burke NOT wanting Lu and cannot see that the guy that originally traded for Lu here wouldn't be more prone to do so in Toronto, even with the contract considering the wealth of those running the Leafs.

I hope something gets done because I'm tired of talking about a goaltender that's unlikely to be a part of this team moving forward.
You will always be on our mind and in our heart. RIP Luc!

John Garrett after a brutal pass by Olli Jokinen:

"Jokinen makes a pass 8 feet behind anybody, to no-one. That's Calgary's first line, unfortunately for them."

#66 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I think Lu to toronto is more of a chance. Burke was scared of his contract and I am sure owners know they need a goalie. Nonis brought Luongo here, he will not be scared to deal for him again.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#67 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

My acceptance of Luongo going to TO also went way up. Nonis is an idiot. Laffs will never win anything soon. (However, Lu must realize this too. Does he still force a trade to Florida? Tallon will likely come out and say he has no interest in Lu now.)

Drama!

Or Tallon comes out and says he wants Lu to drive up the price for Toronto.

Edited by Sweatt_GLaNDs, 09 January 2013 - 11:14 AM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#68 Iamacanuck18

Iamacanuck18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Bad move by Leafs. Burke is one of the best GM out there.

#69 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

How did Burke get fired but not the CBJ GM??? probably a non-hockey issue but still

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#70 KelownaCanucksFan

KelownaCanucksFan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

I am almost certain that this has something to do with him not trading for Luongo, the new owners in TO need to make a splash. With the blue jays being the talk of the town with all their major acquisitions this summer it's about competing for the sports dollars. Burke screwed up at the draft by not pulling the trigger on the trade when ownership wanted it. Plus they have a capable guy in Nonis who has before dealt for Luongo, combine that with Burkes baggage made for an easy decision for ownership to remove him from his position.

Posted Image
Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the sig!

#71 VegasCanuck

VegasCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

I'm willing to bet that they asked him to move on the Luongo trade and he said "No"

#72 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

I can't stop smiling

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#73 mr wicked

mr wicked

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Toronto in the press will anounce nonis is taking over as gm of the leafs......the players will vote on the cba later today and pass it so its official....nonis will then go into burkes old office, sit in burkes old chair and put his signature on the papers sitting on burkes old desk to bring luongo and raymond to toronto....which will be breaking news tonight and the canucks forum will crash from madness.....you heard it here folks!

#74 mdehaan

mdehaan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

I'm willing to bet that they asked him to move on the Luongo trade and he said "No"

How much?

Dollars are the current method of storing your economic time and labour. I hope you plan to turn those dollars into goods and services soon, because the the value of the dollars relative to the goods and services you buy, decreases every day.

"Money is worth what it will help you to produce or buy and no more." Henry Ford 

#75 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Bad move by Leafs. Burke is one of the best GM out there.

Yes, Im sure TO fans agree with you when he sold the future to win now - then didn't even make the playoffs once in his tenure there all while giving up not one but two lottery draft picks and one going to hated rival Boston of all places (only MTL probably could have been worse). Running his mouth to the media constantly like an ass, standing behind his loser coach till the bitter end, believing that "red light" Reimer could carry an NHL team to the playoffs etc etc etc.

I wonder if he is one of the best GMs out there what do bad ones do?

Edit: not to mention naming Phangoof as captain lol

Edited by Aladeen, 09 January 2013 - 11:23 AM.

Posted Image

#76 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Yes, Im sure TO fans agree with you when he sold the future to win now - then didn't even make the playoffs once in his tenure there all while giving up not one but two lottery draft picks and one going to hated rival Boston of all places (only MTL probably could have been worse). Running his mouth to the media constantly like an ass, standing behind his loser coach till the bitter end, believing that "red light" Reimer could carry an NHL team to the playoffs etc etc etc.

I wonder if he is one of the best GMs out there what do bad ones do?

trade nash

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#77 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,780 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

I can't stop smiling

Seriously, this is face i have had since i've heard the news:

Posted Image

Laffs continue to entertain.
Posted Image

#78 nzan

nzan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

a friend of a friend has some access to information here in toronto and says he was fired because he messed up the luongo deal. i don't know the guy or where he got his information, but that's what he said

#79 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

trade nash

I would trade Nash for two lottery picks, especially if my team was tanking all the time even with Nash. Not saying it was a good trade I'm just saying the loss of two lottery picks is worse and the leafs didn't even get Nash in return lol.
Posted Image

#80 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

Dave Nonis is the next GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Unclear whether that is interim or unconditional appointment.

#81 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Or Tallon comes out and says he wants Lu to drive up the price for Toronto.

Gillis did Tallon a favour in taking Booth, a contract that Tallon did not want to be stuck with. He also saved Florida another couple million in taking Rejnprecht and burying him in the minors.

If I'm Gillis I phone Tallon and ask him to swing us a favour and state what he is willing to pay for Luongo, even if its completely fabricated just to drive the price up for Toronto.

#82 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

a friend of a friend has some access to information here in toronto and says he was fired because he messed up the luongo deal. i don't know the guy or where he got his information, but that's what he said

A friend of a friend of a cousin of an uncle of my pet monkey's former owner, who was walking in front of ACC when this all went down told me it was because Burke was an incompetent ass.
Posted Image

#83 Vigneault's Timeout

Vigneault's Timeout

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Odd timing... I imagine it may have to do with Luongo and the overall direction the two sides envisioned.

Tough day for the Bruins organization.
Posted Image

#84 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Could be Gillis Burke came to final offers and Gillis offer was doable for MLSE.

#85 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,448 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

I can't stop smiling

me too, weird eh?

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#86 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

I am both shocked and not shocked by this news.

#87 bleednucksblue

bleednucksblue

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

LeBrun just tweeted that one team exec thinks Burke's reluctance to move on Luongo cost him his job.
You will always be on our mind and in our heart. RIP Luc!

John Garrett after a brutal pass by Olli Jokinen:

"Jokinen makes a pass 8 feet behind anybody, to no-one. That's Calgary's first line, unfortunately for them."

#88 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

I am almost certain that this has something to do with him not trading for Luongo, the new owners in TO need to make a splash. With the blue jays being the talk of the town with all their major acquisitions this summer it's about competing for the sports dollars. Burke screwed up at the draft by not pulling the trigger on the trade when ownership wanted it. Plus they have a capable guy in Nonis who has before dealt for Luongo, combine that with Burkes baggage made for an easy decision for ownership to remove him from his position.

Dude really? You're saying that from Kelowna? Have you been to a leafs game in Toronto? Selling out with min $200 seats in the lower bowl for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 8 years. Granted fan's are growing tired of it but leaf fans are the best in the NHL, (I know you don't want to hear it) but they have supported a crap team through thick and thin, they are rabbid hockey fans and will come regardless.

This isn't about competing with the Jays! LOL!!! Its about a personality clash clearly withing MLSE and Burke and he being the abrasive face of a franchise with new owners...

They are not firing him because of the Lou deal.

#89 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,384 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

So...does Bettman retire and Burke take over the league?

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#90 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,500 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

L O 'fricin' L

Only in Toronto. I would concur that this is because Burke is being a stubborn ass about trading for Luongo. Just get it done already. You need a goaltender. Luongo is available, you haven't had a good goalie in years, this is what they need. The GM has to put his ego aside and make a gamble for the team.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.