The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Firing] Burke Done in TO

If Burke was taking a new position elsewhere, he wouldn't have been fired. By firing Burke, the Leafs will have to pay severance. If Burke had a new position, the Leafs could release him from his contract and they wouldn't have to give him anything in terms of severance.

IMO, this is just a straight up firing, though at the oddest of times. My guess is that ownership wanted a new coach, and Burke refused to can Carlyle, so the Leafs fired Burke. Carlyle could get the axe soon too, though for me this all seems like odd timing.

That came out of nowhere. It was expected he'd be fired the end of the season if they didn't make the playoffs. Perhaps a deal was in place for Luongo and MLSE did not agree? That or maybe Burke goes to replace Bettman as the Commish.

Looks like Luongo stays put or goes to some other team (maybe those Edmonton rumors have something to it...)

Burke has been GM since 2008 and the Leafs have not made the playoffs during that time. I don't find this hugely surprising, even if the timing seems a bit odd.

Also, if Burke had any intention at all of going into the season with Scrivens and Reimer in net ... wow, he deserved to go. Completely understandable why that would make the owners sweat.

Burke was the most vocal GM against back diving deals and had a huge propensity to overate his own goalies to a detriment to his teams shots at the Cup (ahem Cloutier ahem).

My guess is that the new ownership has no interest in risking the playoffs again on subpar goaltending after the Leafs were the only team NOT to make the playoffs during the last CBA. They don't want to start off on the wrong foot and WANT the Luongo *splash*.

Archived